ADVERTISEMENT

Ginsburg back in the hospital again

If Ginsberg were to croak, nothing's gonna happen until next year.

Senate Majority Leader, Mitch McConnell, is on record as being adamant that America can't fill a SCOTUS seat during an election year so working with the President to fill her seat in a few months would be sort of hypocritical.

Senate Majority Leader, Mitch McConnell, is on record as being adamant that America can't fill a SCOTUS seat during an election year so working with the President to fill her seat in a few months would be sort of hypocritical.

Sure.

Wrong. The position will be filled in 2 weeks.

Reactions: KnighttimeJoe
Wrong. The position will be filled in 2 weeks.

giphy.gif

The Democrats are already vowing to pack the courts so the rules are out the window. Maybe Trump should just pre-empt them doing this and put 20 conservatives on SCOTUS now

Reactions: Ucfmikes
The Democrats are already vowing to pack the courts so the rules are out the window. Maybe Trump should just pre-empt them doing this and put 20 conservatives on SCOTUS now

If Trump replaces RBG this year, you can bet that the dems will add 2 Supreme Court justices.

If Trump replaces RBG this year, you can bet that the dems will add 2 Supreme Court justices.
John Roberts recently rebuked the concept of liberal judges and conservative judges but I think that we've seen reality being different. At what point do we acknowledge reality and build a court that's balanced rather than this pendulum swing? Is it even possible to do so in a way that stands the test of time?

Reactions: firm_bizzle

Hence why Trump should add 20 now. If arbitrarily increasing the court size is the end game then let's get on with it. Some day we can have 60/30 decisions.

John Roberts recently rebuked the concept of liberal judges and conservative judges but I think that we've seen reality being different. At what point do we acknowledge reality and build a court that's balanced rather than this pendulum swing? Is it even possible to do so in a way that stands the test of time?
The opinions of each Supreme Court justice are important. I think Roberts and Gorsuch are trying to be non-ideologically. Alito and Thomas will vote the conservative line all day, everyday like its their job. RBG and Breyer vote the liberal line to offset those two. I have hope for Kavanaugh once he gets over being butthurt (but Thomas never seem to). If Biden replaces Thomas or Alito, I could see Roberts becoming more conservative.

Last edited:
Honestly, if we did away with the lifetime appointment a lot of things would probably be different and it wouldn’t be a partisan fight to the death it is now. One term something like 10-20 years in length. No extensions, you can retire early if you like.

Honestly, if we did away with the lifetime appointment a lot of things would probably be different and it wouldn’t be a partisan fight to the death it is now. One term something like 10-20 years in length. No extensions, you can retire early if you like.
Better yet, just erase all case law and start over with all judgements being made on the basis of constitutional law as we move forward.

Better yet, just erase all case law and start over with all judgements being made on the basis of constitutional law as we move forward.
That would force Congress to do it's job and legislate rather than investigate and haggle over funding.

Agree. 12 years for each branch. POTUS gets three 4 year terms, House gets six 2 year terms, Senate gets two 6 year terms, SC gets one 12 year term max. Limits career politicians unless they are really good at their job.

Agree. 12 years for each branch. POTUS gets three 4 year terms, House gets six 2 year terms, Senate gets two 6 year terms, SC gets one 12 year term max. Limits career politicians unless they are really good at their job.
Maybe we could get a break in the constant campaigning if we gave the President 2 6-year terms instead.

Maybe we could get a break in the constant campaigning if we gave the President 2 6-year terms instead.
Meh, I don't like it. If they're bad I want them gone ASAP. If you want to stop the constant campaigning then make congressional terms 4 years instead of 2.

Her remaining on the Court is proving the point that the Court has become a political body.
I really want to deny that, but she's been dealing with the liver cancer since February. Waiting 5 months to announce it seems like a political play to rile up the liberal base.

One term, 12 years. I think states do something similar and it works.
Gotta be longer than 12 years, doesnt it? Id think more like 20.

It would be interesting to see how that would affect elections, knowing that a certain justice would definitely be replaced by the next president, guaranteed. It might make scotus even more political than it already is, which is kind of scary.

Gotta be longer than 12 years, doesnt it? Id think more like 20.

It would be interesting to see how that would affect elections, knowing that a certain justice would definitely be replaced by the next president, guaranteed. It might make scotus even more political than it already is, which is kind of scary.

They would rotate. Every election would be important because a new justice would be up.

I wish her well, but she is already way past the average expiration date for humans. She has had a long life,.

ADVERTISEMENT