ADVERTISEMENT

***Glen Elarbee talks OL improvement needed after Pitt***

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com

After three weeks of solid play, UCF's offensive line struggled in the 35-34 loss at Pitt.

The Knights averaged 282 yards rushing in the first three games but could only muster 85 yards against the Panthers, which was exacerbated by the six sacks taken by quarterback Dillon Gabriel.

UCF offensive line coach Glen Elarbee said they had issues handling Pitt's movement and vowed to correct it going forward.

I know it's been several days since the game, but looking back on last week at Pitt, what was your evaluation of your offensive line after going back and looking at the film?

"We've got to handle movement better. I've got to do a better job preparing them. That falls on me. I should have done a better job on that piece of it. I feel like we've had a good week of practice and we'll be able to handle it from here on out."

Did anything surprise you from what Pitt presented?

"Everybody plays us a little bit different in a game than they do everyone else, but that's part of us having to be able to adjust. Shoot, they did a great job."

You said handling movement better. Is that pass blocking or run blocking?

"I think everywhere. There's always going to be things that happen a little bit differently, but you've got be able to react to it in the run game. We've got to adjust, be able to get to the second level when the d-line move. In the passing game, we've got to be able to switch it off in the second level."

Pitt was probably the best defense you've faced, but going into it, but how did you think the offensive line looked after the first three games?

"I think we've gotten better every game. I thought first game, maybe not great. Second one was a little bit better and third game was a little bit better. Obviously this one didn't turn out the way we wanted. We've had a great week of practice and move forward."

ixnmwmczni79ttohkpqc

Can you talk more about this week, putting that one behind them and getting ready for UConn?

"Guys came in locked in and focused. I've tried to do a better job of not just scripting what you see on film, but how teams will try to adjust to us. I think they've done a better job handling movement. We've really worked that. They've bought into it. Probably the best effort we've had on Tuesday and Wednesday."

They say adversity helps you grow. How do you think your line grows from this?

"One, you've always got to put the same amount of work in every single week. I don't know if it was necessarily that we didn't, but it reminds you how fragile winning is. You've got to give everything that you can. I think, again, shoot for me, it's me being a better coach. Trying to anticipate what's going to happen. Give those guys a chance to practice it and be successful."

You had more of a rotation early on with Sam Jackson moving around and Tony Gray playing on the left side. I noticed Tony didn't play last game. Is he banged up or did you just decide to go with a starting five?

"Just trying to figure that piece of it out right now. Tony has got absolutely a chance to play. We're just trying to figure out what the best rotation is, for sure."

Moving forward, how will your guys approach this game against UConn?

"I think they'll approach it with a great mindset. I think all week long we've been very dialed in. Nobody in that room likes to lose. Nobody likes to lose the way that we did. We're going to go attack it and hopefully be a whole lot better Saturday."

What do you know about UConn's defensive line?

"They've got 57 (Travis Jones), he's a big guy. He gets movement, presents challenges stopping the run and pass rush. The two ends, 48 (Kevon Jones) and 58 (Dillon Harris), those guys are more linebacker bodies. Got a lot of twitch. Can present issues in protecting the passer. 52 (Caleb Thomas) inside, not as a big as 57, but a little bit more active. Gets after it. They do a nice job."

Coach Heupel says there's a thin line between success and failure on the offensive line. Is it the small things that cause everything to go wrong?

"Just really getting your hat on the right hat and trying to displace it in the run game. Again, I think that's my fault. I should have done a better job of getting those guys ready to go, expecting as much movement as we got. We didn't get hats on the right spots at times. We will from now on. Same thing protectionally. We've got to be able to adjust our rules when things get a little bit different. Practice what it will be vs. what it has been."

By movement, you just mean blitzing?

"Yeah. D-line movement. Linebacker, second level. Absolutely. The guys starting off in one spot and end up in another. It makes it easy if they sit still and let you block them. They're going to move, so we've got to be able to adjust to it."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News