ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga......Big 12

You want to sit at the big boy table and get paid big boy checks, you have to compete and beat big boys.

I like our track record. I like our future. So far we’ve shown we want to compete, and not just collect “L”s and paychecks.
That's the thing, someone pointed out on here years ago that we have been competitive at every level of football we have played at over the years: III, II, 1-AA, 1-A. Next up, P5. It'll be like the rest. Maybe not right away (but maybe), but soon. Gus seems like he wants to be the guy. I think he's where he wants to be, and wants the challenge of shepherding us through this transition and into P5 prominence.

It's all right there for the taking. We have all the advantages. With the P5 label we should be a powerhouse.

Getting a team like the Zags will make this the best basketball conference and that will only help in recruiting. Also will help in attendance.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I don't understand why we need a bball only school other than it's a West coast time slot if they are home?

The B12 is alreadya dominant bball conference

Dawkins is a good coach and great leader of men. He just hasn’t been much of a recruiter.

I don't understand why we need a bball only school other than it's a West coast time slot if they are home?

The B12 is alreadya dominant bball conference
Our Basketball money will go up. Announcement comes right after we sign a big deal. ESPN probably incentivized B12 to add a school like Gonzaga. Now they can lowball whatever conference they are leaving.

Our Basketball money will go up. Announcement comes right after we sign a big deal. ESPN probably incentivized B12 to add a school like Gonzaga. Now they can lowball whatever conference they are leaving.
Yup! The last BIG12 commish had zero forward thinking and look where it got him. The new commish gets it. This will also help in TV negotiations 6 years from now (before the ACC and its crappy deal get to re-negotiate). They will dominate ESPN especially during the week (like the old Big East).

The conference seems to be heading west with possible Arizona schools, Colorado, and Utah as potential targets along with Gonzaga. With BYU, this would make a nice rocky mountain part of the conference. However, it would be nice to have more regional schools for UCF to play.

The conference seems to be heading west with possible Arizona schools, Colorado, and Utah as potential targets along with Gonzaga. With BYU, this would make a nice rocky mountain part of the conference. However, it would be nice to have more regional schools for UCF to play.
This commish is wanting to build a national brand. I rather play Gonzaga on the west coast vs playing USF or FAU at home. They are creating a brand. I think this is the first of many moves for Yormark . The ACC is a little more regionalized and it hasn't helped (TV money wise). I think Yormark is going to do some creative things for this conference.

Marc Daniels threw a wet rag on this on the 'bridge' radio just now. Basically, saying, not against it or for it, but Big12 is looking outside the box and that it was just probably a conversation between Zag AD and Yormark and the rumors started swirling. Not even close to being a done deal, thus cool the jets...and yes, UCF better step up the recruiting in b-ball.

I'm no conference commissioner but to me it looks pretty small-time to add non-FB members. If you add Gonzaga, go ahead and add a Big East school at least, in order to help us with travel.

Add the 4 corners and get up to 18 teams. Just mo.

I think we can start thinking about that when we start selling out games and have money to actually spend on BB.

At this point, funding for upgrades to an arena that is spotless and modern is something our AD isn't even thinking about.

Reactions: Willie Knightime
Getting a team like the Zags will make this the best basketball conference and that will only help in recruiting. Also will help in attendance.
It’s kind of ridiculous that two teams in the same conference could be in Spokane, WA, and Orlando, FL. This is a lot to unbox from a travel perspective.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
It’s kind of ridiculous that two teams in the same conference could be in Spokane, WA, and Orlando, FL. This is a lot to unbox from a travel perspective.
This isn't college sports the way it use to be its a sports business. Just like the Pro's you have to travel. With a 2.3 billion dollar contract, NIL deals, its not about being close to home. They would travel to Japan for a game if it meant more revenue.

This isn't college sports the way it use to be its a sports business. Just like the Pro's you have to travel. With a 2.3 billion dollar contract, NIL deals, its not about being close to home. They would travel to Japan for a game if it meant more revenue.
Sad, but true.

I thought it was a scholarship opportunity for student athletes

I think we can appreciate the difference between a one-off destination game (basically, starting season off with a bowl game) and requiring every sport to travel cross-country repeatedly during the school year, right?
Isn’t it fun for kids to visit different places? Or even adults for that matter. Its good to have different states in your conference.

well the dominoes that have fallen have helped UCF but it still doesn’t make sense to me that USC and UCLA will be playing in the Big 10. Everything about those schools looks and ‘feel’ Pac12. It has to confuse the students and fans that don’t follow & nerd out on tv deals

Reactions: OtterKnight
Regional games are slightly better when its against a mediocre team (playing a down Oregon St. is better than a down Rutgers if your a PAC team) but a game against a big program and/or highly ranked team will always be better than any regional game (unless they are ranked or a big program ofc).

Gonzaga has been top 10 in basketball for a few years. Pretty much a 1 seed going into tourney mostly. They will be good until their coach retires.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT