ADVERTISEMENT

GoT (Spoilers)

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/northern-ireland-abortion-alabama_n_5cdeb86de4b00e035b8e9e07

remember when disney, a few other studios, and countless actors said they were going to boycott filming in georgia? guess they didnt get the memo on northern ireland.

please help me understand why there isnt a massive outrage over filming there?

Probably because Ireland, though Catholic, is largely in favor of legal abortion and voted for it in a landslide last year.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/26/ireland-votes-by-landslide-to-legalise-abortion

Reactions: UCFWayne
Gotcha. I honestly didn’t realize that Ireland and Northern Ireland were separate. Too confusing especially when you throw in Scotland, Wales, etc.
yea there was that whole civil war thing going on over there in the 70s and 80s. fyi scottland/wales are part of the united kingdom along with england and northern ireland.

yea there was that whole civil war thing going on over there in the 70s and 80s. fyi scottland/wales are part of the united kingdom along with england and northern ireland.

Right. But I truly am learning something today because I assumed that Ireland as a whole was part of the UK. Not just Northern Ireland.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Right. But I truly am learning something today because I assumed that Ireland as a whole was part of the UK. Not just Northern Ireland.
i think they got their own country after ww1, ireland+northern ireland. of course northern ireland never really got along with regular ireland and they had bitter fights through out the years. i think they only really separated in the 90s.

Damn there's some bad info in here.

Ireland separated from the UK in 1916 under the Irish-Anglo Treaty and became the Republic of Ireland in 1949. It's been an independent state ever since then.

Northern Ireland of course remained part of the United Kingdom and still does today.

Neither the Republic of Ireland or N Ireland (The UK) had formal relations with eachother until the late 1980's due to The Troubles, which is probably the most notable and famous prolonged campaign of terrorism and asymmetric urban warfare in European history. It pitted the Catholic Republicans against the Protestant UK Loyalists but it was a lot deeper than that. The UK Military was often operating in Northern Ireland to battle the IRA.

Gotcha. I honestly didn’t realize that Ireland and Northern Ireland were separate.
Too confusing especially when you throw in Scotland, Wales, etc.
Either that or you're chanting "tiocfaidh ár lá" during Zombie nation. Although at least that won't get you fined 20K here in the US.

In all seriousness, given the Euro v. the Pound, even today during the Brexit mess, most in Northern Ireland don't want to unify these days.

The UK Military was often operating in Northern Ireland to battle the IRA.
The UK uses their military for domestic enforcement. The US, France and, at least since '56, Germany do not allow such by Constitutional Law.

Damn there's some bad info in here.

Ireland separated from the UK in 1916 under the Irish-Anglo Treaty and became the Republic of Ireland in 1949. It's been an independent state ever since then.

Northern Ireland of course remained part of the United Kingdom and still does today.

Neither the Republic of Ireland or N Ireland (The UK) had formal relations with eachother until the late 1980's due to The Troubles, which is probably the most notable and famous prolonged campaign of terrorism and asymmetric urban warfare in European history. It pitted the Catholic Republicans against the Protestant UK Loyalists but it was a lot deeper than that. The UK Military was often operating in Northern Ireland to battle the IRA.
my bad, i dont really know much about their history. but i know they had alot of fighting between the two. and really only stopped killing each other in the 90s.

Just watch Patriot Games. All you need to know about Ireland in that flick. Plus, Ned Stark is in it.

ADVERTISEMENT