ADVERTISEMENT

Government Shutdown Averted!!!

DaShuckster

Diamond Knight
Nov 30, 2003
Whoohoo!!! Another deadline was looming for a government shutdown after last year's Congress had extended it to this January. But thanks to the bold leadership of our new Speaker of the House, we avoided a political stunt from our MAGA "fiscal conservatives" that would've cost American taxpayers millions of dollars each day of the shutdown.

The new deadline is....um, March. 🤪

Averted??? Nope, that was A MONTH ago, silly! It's THAT time again!!!!

I couldn't believe it
---with a straight face, Speaker Mike Johnson went on camera and threatened to shut down the government this Friday and refuses to bring the aid for Ukraine bill to the floor until....(drumroll).....Biden does something about the border.

SMH. You can't make this sh*t up.

And again nothing happened. It is all theater. Even if a shutdown happened 80% of gov't goes on unchanged.

And again nothing happened. It is all theater. Even if a shutdown happened 80% of gov't goes on unchanged.
What I’m realizing is all the House craziness is designed to condition everybody into believing democracies ’don’t work’ anymore.

It is working just like it is designed to work. Awkwardly, slowly, over a cobble stone road with bare feet.
If it works smoothly, it likely isn't really working at all.
When Dems are center left and Reps are center right, it can move easier. Right now Dems are Far left and Reps far right. there isn't much to compromise on.

It is working just like it is designed to work. Awkwardly, slowly, over a cobble stone road with bare feet.
If it works smoothly, it likely isn't really working at all.
When Dems are center left and Reps are center right, it can move easier. Right now Dems are Far left and Reps far right. there isn't much to compromise on.
Help us out, goodknightfl: Where are Dems 'Far left'?

Help us out, goodknightfl: Where are Dems 'Far left'?

"Far" is a relative term based on 1's current position.

How about obtaining responses from users like:

1) What top 3 initiatives do you support?

2) What top 3 initiatives do you oppose?

3) 10th Amendment: What should Fed control, what should states control?

"Far" is a relative term based on 1's current position.

1) What top 3 initiatives do you support?
Funding for Ukraine. Is THAT a 'far left' position? Would Ronald Reagan have supported it?

The Bipartisan Border Security Bill. Is THAT a 'far left' position? Its primary author was a conservative Republican from Oklahoma for crying out loud! It had overwhelming support in Congress from both sides of the aisle --- until Trump told his lemmings to be against it.

Restoring Reproductive Rights for Women. Is THAT a 'far left' position? Funny how many people will tell you that, at its heart, the Conservative Movement it's all about Freedom FROM Government 'interference.' It's MY RIGHT to own an AR-15! It's MY RIGHT to refuse to wear a safety mask!!! It's my RIGHT to refuse to take the COVID vaccine!!! But when it comes to the reproductive rights of women, we're supposed to believe THAT is the government's business??!? SMH.

Bump. Where's your reply, UCFloridaTech? ^^^^^ Are my top priorities too leftie for you? We're waiting for your response.

Funding for Ukraine. Is THAT a 'far left' position? Would Ronald Reagan have supported it?

The Bipartisan Border Security Bill. Is THAT a 'far left' position? Its primary author was a conservative Republican from Oklahoma for crying out loud! It had overwhelming support in Congress from both sides of the aisle --- until Trump told his lemmings to be against it.

Restoring Reproductive Rights for Women. Is THAT a 'far left' position? Funny how many people will tell you that, at its heart, the Conservative Movement it's all about Freedom FROM Government 'interference.' It's MY RIGHT to own an AR-15! It's MY RIGHT to refuse to wear a safety mask!!! It's my RIGHT to refuse to take the COVID vaccine!!! But when it comes to the reproductive rights of women, we're supposed to believe THAT is the government's business??!? SMH.
On Ukraine, I was for helping at first, but 2 years and 10's of billions later and there is no end in sight, and 100's of thousands of dead it is time to negotiate a peace.

The Border security bill never had overwhelming support in congress. It did have quite a bit in the Senate. It was a bill that mostly left the border wide open and simply increased funding to process them as the flood the nation.

In reality the Federal Gov' no longer has a position on abortions, not pro not against. It simply sent the whole thing back to the states where it belonged. Abortion has never been about women's rights, It was about Progressives wanting to cull the herd of undesirables in the population. It was a racist based idea that works to this day. Blacks have 4x the abortions per capita than whites.
The true conservative position should be the Federal Government should only be doing the things the constitution said it should do.

On Ukraine, I was for helping at first, but 2 years and 10's of billions later and there is no end in sight, and 100's of thousands of dead it is time to negotiate a peace.
Doesn't it bother you that you're parrotting Putin Supporters?

Once upon a time, your kind of pussyass, "it's not our problem" thinking led to World War II. Back when I was a Republican, a strong defense was Priority Number One.
The Border security bill never had overwhelming support in congress.
It had enough support that Senate AND House Republicans were predicting it was going to pass.
It was a bill that mostly left the border wide open ...
Oh really? Over 1,500 new US Customs and Border Protection officers is nothing? 100 new fentanyl detection machines is nothing?
In reality the Federal Gov' no longer has a position on abortions, not pro not against.
IT'S ABOUT HUMAN RIGHTS FOR GOODNESS SAKES!!!!
It simply sent the whole thing back to the states where it belonged.
LMAO. Yeah, the STATES always know best!!!

Slavery gave Blacks helpful skills and the Civil Rights movement was about a bunch of uppity Blacks who refused to stay in their place!!! The Feds had no business sticking their nose in State business!
Abortion has never been about women's rights, It was about Progressives wanting to cull the herd of undesirables in the population. It was a racist based idea that works to this day. Blacks have 4x the abortions per capita than whites.
Wow. I can't believe you said this. Upper and middle-class women ALWAYS have a choice, poor women often don't. In case you haven't heard, a higher percentage of minority women are poor than White women. So it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a higher percentage of these poor people are going to have an abortion.
The true conservative position should be the Federal Government should only be doing the things the constitution said it should do.
The true Constitutional conservative understands We Are NOT a Theocracy!

If your religious belief is that abortion is wrong, it's your right to believe it---it's called the separation of church and state. But you and people like you have no right to force your religious beliefs on others.

Last edited:
My personal belief on abortion doesn't matter, neither does yours. What matters is what it is.
Sanger and other Progressives started Planned Parenthood, they were elites that wanted to get rid of undesirables. That included blacks and other Minorities. That is a fact plain and simple. They were in large part racist.

I have been a part of an abortion, and I can't help but wonder did I kill my son or Daughter, what would they have been like, what would they have done with that life. All because my wife and I didn't want to take on the consequences for our actions. We were Married 4 months later and she was carrying my daughter 11 months later.

That said I don't think all abortions should be illegal. I also don't think there should be any after the 15th week except when there is a real medical need.

And yes having one is a personal decision. I also believe there is 0 basis in the Constitution for claiming it is a right. If you wish to put it in the Constitution, then add it. A couple of states have done it already and that is their right. Other states went the other way and that is their right.

Last edited:
My personal belief on abortion doesn't matter, neither does yours. What matters is what it is.
Abortions have been around as long as mankind. Your attempt to smear Planned Parenthood had zero to do with it.
I have been a part of an abortion, and I can't help but wonder did I kill my son or Daughter, what would they have been like, what would they have done with that life. All because my wife and I didn't want to take on the consequences for our actions. We were Married 4 months later and she was carrying my daughter 11 months later.
Your guilt has zero to do with it either.
And yes having one is a personal decision.
Then what the fcuk is the government doing sticking its nose in a woman's business? As you said, it's a PERSONAL decision. Funny, social conservatives are big on telling the government to stay out of THEIR business but somehow this is different. Let me guess, telling women what to do is a "traditional family value." ;)
I also believe there is 0 basis in the Constitution for claiming it is a right.
There was for 50 years found in the 14th Amendment---until Trump and McConnel tag-teamed to stack the court with Catholic theocrats to overturn it.
If you wish to put it in the Constitution, then add it. A couple of states have done it already and that is their right. Other states went the other way and that is their right.
Basic human rights shouldn't depend on a state line.

Last edited:
The Gov't always sticks it's nose in everyone's business. It is what they do. Every regulation, and law infringes on someone's freedoms.

Yay! ANOTHER government shutdown was averted!!! Whooohooo!!!

This agreement will keep the government open until....um, September. But if you thought this saved us millions of taxpayer dollars and would make everybody in Congress happy, think again!

Marjorie Taylor Green was furious that Speaker Johnson...gasp!... WORKED WITH THE DEMS to keep the government open. She held a presser this weekend to threaten to call for a new Speaker vote!

MTG said Johnson went back on his pledge to shutdown the government until our country's border security was addressed. (yeah, I know, I know, we're supposed to forget the Senate handed the Speaker a bipartisan border security bill.)

GOP Rep. Mike Gallagher had enough of this sh*tshow. He announced he's resigning his position early---leaving his seat vacant for the rest of the term.

Sorry but many of us think this is a horrid bill. Working together so everyone can get their own little earmark does not help the country. 15 million new debt to pay for Egyptians tuition. The candy man loves this bill.
Gallagher is setting up the Dems to charge Trump with insurection, and bar him from ballots. He is holding on 2 days past the date where the state could vote to replace him. Espect 2 more Rino's to follow suit. Some serious $$ is being thrown at Washington swamp dwellers right now.

And on a side note for Shuck the bipartisan border security bill forgot the biggest piece of the puzzle, Securing the border.

Sorry but many of us think this is a horrid bill.
Since “Many of you” are so concerned about the Candy Man, you might ask yourselves why a negotiated bill was necessary in order to keep the government running? Who in their right minds would threaten to shut it down and why?

govt 80% was already funded the shutdown was a red herring. A negotiated bill is always needed, this is not yet a dictatorship.

But negotiating bills that continue adding trillions to our debt is not a good thing.

govt 80% was already funded the shutdown was a red herring. A negotiated bill is always needed, this is not yet a dictatorship.
Yes, a debt ceiling bill is always voted on. The difference is when one side is threatening to shut down the government if they don't get their way. Talk about self-inflicted economic wounds.
But negotiating bills that continue adding trillions to our debt is not a good thing.
LOL Hey, Mister Fiscal Conservative, you might want to check out what we're adding to our debt during a government shutdown.

Bottom line this year, we are taking in 4.5 trillion dollars and spending 6 trillion dollars. And this goes on every year. Emergency spending for covid still going on 2 years later.
This bill had 1400 earmarks on top of 6000 earmarks in the last spending bill, for a total of 14 Billion dollars of new pork.
Sorry but I will argue shutting down is not the worse thing that can happen.
My favorite was 100k spent to see if sunfish who drank Tequilla were more agressive than sunfish who drink Gin.
2 mil for shellfish nursery in Maine. 1.5 million to encourage video game playing in NY, 15k to pay tuition for Egyptians. 380k for Columbia university who has a huge endowment.
1 mil for martha's vinyard hospital. Martha's vinyard is one of the richest places in the US> We are borrowng money for nonsense. We are over 34 Trillion in debt. We are borrowing 1 trillion dollars every 90 days. 85000 dollars per second.

Thanks to Government spending turned back on full flow, Inflation is rising again.
When will we ever learn, When will we ever learn.

But the good news is Government is open.

Thanks to Government spending turned back on full flow, Inflation is rising again.
Well, I'll be damned!!! I didn't know the government was responsible for the skyrocketing cost of car insurance, rising home rental costs, and -- as usual -- gas prices

Well, I'll be damned!!! I didn't know the government was responsible for the skyrocketing cost of car insurance, rising home rental costs, and -- as usual -- gas prices
Well now you do. They are the one expanding the money supply and overspending.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT