ADVERTISEMENT

Grant of Rights: Media Deal

Aresco's negotiating style:

careerbuilder-original-3392.gif

If NCAA loses the Alston trial then this will be the extent of the recruitment process...

giphy.gif
I’ve heard it’s a very high chance the ncaa loses
How long would the GOR lock us into the AAC for?
Too long
Maybe if Aresco or ANYONE else int he conference backed us during the last year we'd consider it. But all those chumps sat quietly by. We'll leave as soon as any of the P5 call us. Gotta look out for ourselves.
Yeah screw him
UCF is worth $20 million in a new deal.
Yep. Double share if we have to. USF at 10 and UCF at 20
A TV deal? I doubt Aresco could even deliver a TV.
Hahahahaha got eem

Aresco is the worst....

UCF can not afford another Conference Expansion misstep bc it would be the Final One. Even 10 Million a year would not be enough to sign away this Athletic Program's true ceiling.

And UCF carries this League, most of the Conference Championships & highest T.V. ratings. You know the Cows are not signing it with their Big East past. Danny White needs to go offer a UCF-Cincy or Memphis package deal to another league the next few months.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shark59
Aresco is the worst....

UCF can not afford another Conference Expansion misstep bc it would be the Final One. Even 10 Million a year would not be enough to sign away this Athletic Program's true ceiling.

And UCF carries this League, most of the Conference Championships & highest T.V. ratings. You know the Cows are not signing it with their Big East past. Danny White needs to go offer a UCF-Cincy or Memphis package deal to another league the next few months.

I think cincy gets the edge because of academics

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was ESPNs idea. They pay us a tad more money now and then they keep us out of the playoffs forever. That and then they don’t have to pay us more money later because it puts an end to expansion talk so they don’t bleed more money. Either way they would get what they want, cheap control.

AAC board is in full meltdown mode. Anyone think we’ll hear from Aresco tomorrow?

For me, P5 would be great, but if the GOR gets UCF $8+ Million and lasts less than 10 years, I would go for it. That is what, 4x what we make now? But it also has to be ESPN because that level of promotion and exposure is worth more than the TV revenue, IMO.

Not being a homer, but UCF is carrying this conference, period.

If UCF does sign the GOR, then like the article states "the AAC has explored top schools getting bigger payouts than others" we should get a bigger piece of the pie. Schools like Texas and Boise already make more than other members of their conference. In addition, whoever win the AAC Championship should receive another vig on top.

If UCFs athletic budget is $56 million (and we get $2 mill of that from our TV deal) it doesn't seem like getting an increase to $6-8 million would be a big enough incentive to lock ourselves into the AAC for a long time.

But if this deal ends the same time as other "P5" conference TV deals end it could make a lot of sense...

Am I seeing this right?

Not being a homer, but UCF is carrying this conference, period.

If UCF does sign the GOR, then like the article states "the AAC has explored top schools getting bigger payouts than others" we should get a bigger piece of the pie. Schools like Texas and Boise already make more than other members of their conference. In addition, whoever win the AAC Championship should receive another vig on top.

I said the same thing the other day and some Memphis troll came on here and said we were crazy. We are the only school who puts butts in seats regularly and draws eyeballs to the TV sets. We deserve more money.

If UCFs athletic budget is $56 million (and we get $2 mill of that from our TV deal) it doesn't seem like getting an increase to $6-8 million would be a big enough incentive to lock ourselves into the AAC for a long time.

But if this deal ends the same time as other "P5" conference TV deals end it could make a lot of sense...

Am I seeing this right?

If our GOR ended at the same time as other “P5” conference tv deals it would have absolutely no benefit for the mothership, why would they pay more cabbage for no benefit?

I said the same thing the other day and some Memphis troll came on here and said we were crazy. We are the only school who puts butts in seats regularly and draws eyeballs to the TV sets. We deserve more money.
Tell me about it, what other team has delivered THREE NY6 bowls invites and made the conference that type of money??

Tell me about it, what other team has delivered THREE NY6 bowls invites and made the conference that type of money??

Easy now. You kinda had a poop sandwich in the middle of those bowls. Don't discount your other conference schools so quickly. But yes, you are the marquis team in the AAC right now.

As an outsider, I see no long term benefit to you signing the agreement. A little more cash now is not worth the future. Heck, your 2017 booster contributions were up $4 million dollars over 2016. Keep winning and working the alumni and you'll net more than signing the agreement.
Good point

Easy now. You kinda had a poop sandwich in the middle of those bowls. Don't discount your other conference schools so quickly. But yes, you are the marquis team in the AAC right now.

Yes, but that was under the most extraordinary circumstances ever. You don’t go from 12-1 and 9-4 to 0-12 without the worst of the worst happening and it was a perfect storm. A coach that was trying to be AD and coach, injuries to all upperclassmen at every key position, and coaches that quit on the team when it was apparent they were gone.

Players said they didn’t even gameplan halfway through the season. The team quit because the coaches did.

Yes, but that was under the most extraordinary circumstances ever. You don’t go from 12-1 and 9-4 to 0-12 without the worst of the worst happening and it was a perfect storm. A coach that was trying to be AD and coach, injuries to all upperclassmen at every key position, and coaches that quit on the team when it was apparent they were gone.

Players said they didn’t even gameplan halfway through the season. The team quit because the coaches did.

Oh, I get it. My point was, you haven't always been the bell cow for the conference.

Let's weigh the hardware and find out.

Umm, you know that's not how it works. Count the dollars over the last 10+ years. This a long game view, not short. Yes, UCF is crazy hot right now, but don't get caught up in reading your own press clippings.

Reactions: ahabmw
Umm, you know that's not how it works. Count the dollars over the last 10+ years. This a long game view, not short. Yes, UCF is crazy hot right now, but don't get caught up in reading your own press clippings.

This is the 6th year of the AAC. UCF has 3 outright titles and one shared title (from before there was a championship game). The "10 years" you suggest is back into a different era not relevant to discussion of the AAC, which is what I assume you mean when you said
My point was, you haven't always been the bell cow for the conference.

Or maybe I don't know what a bell cow is.

Oh, I get it. My point was, you haven't always been the bell cow for the conference.

4 conference titles out of 6 years the leagues been in existence. No one else in the league even comes close. I’m not pretending like we are Alabama here, but in the AAC we’re definitely the bell cow.

4 conference titles out of 6 years the leagues been in existence. No one else in the league even comes close. I’m not pretending like we are Alabama here, but in the AAC we’re definitely the bell cow.

So 4 out of 6 titles. That's awesome. Have you looked at the conference revenue allocations? Has UCF made the conference the most money 4 out of 6 years? 2 NY6 Bowl games has to help. I honestly don't know the answer. I know your program's internal revenue is not at the top of the conference. But even at 4 out of 6, you haven't always been the bell cow. 66% is very good, but not the end all be all.

This is the 6th year of the AAC. UCF has 3 outright titles and one shared title (from before there was a championship game). The "10 years" you suggest is back into a different era not relevant to discussion of the AAC, which is what I assume you mean when you said

Or maybe I don't know what a bell cow is.
A bell cow is someone who brings in the most money for the conference (when you are talking about splitting up tv money). That may or may not be the team that wins the conference title.

How long would the GOR lock us into the AAC for?
That would be the 8 million dollar question. If the new deal was lets say 5 or 6 years again, GOR isn't a big deal. If it is a 10 year deal it becomes one.

Now just for arguments sake say it is an 8 year deal, at 10 mil with a Peach bowl bid, plus a Liberty level bowl for #2 team, a GOR might be a good deal. That would not quite make us a P5 equal, but would make us all together different than the G4.

Reactions: Knight Strength
A bell cow is someone who brings in the most money for the conference (when you are talking about splitting up tv money). That may or may not be the team that wins the conference title.

Google says no.

It's the lead cow of a herd, or (unrelated) the lead running back on a team. Can't find anything about money or conferences.

By the first definition, we are the bell cow, the leader in championships, which is what football teams play for.

I don't get why people can't accept that while we are new to the party, we are at the party. You want to talk about "10 years" but over the last 10 years where has UF been? Yeah you might be back now or on your way, great. Welcome to the party. Glad you could make it back into the house.

Nobody disputes that Dan has done a lot to turn the program around up there. Yet somehow UF is seen as "deserving," but we are seen as "only because of weak schedule." What good is a strong schedule if you lose the strong games? Why does strong schedule with losses make UF deserving and UCF not?

UCF is major university with a commitment to football. It's not a flash in the pan or a great year from a small school that won't be able to sustain it. P5s would like it to be that way, but sorry, when you keep pouring fuel on the fire it just gets hotter. Fuel in this case is money and commitment from the university leadership.

I don't like clichés like "here to stay" but look at the trajectory, it's a long path of consistent upward movement (with some ups and downs, no doubt).

It's not a bad place to be.

Don't forget that by claiming the National Championship (we are still champions until beaten) we are pushing for a fair CFP. Why should we settle for chicken feed deal with ESPN/AAC TV deal while we are in the driver seat? We need to keep winning to push this agenda forward. Better deal for UCF and all teams in Div. I. group of 5. We need to push Aresco to show some balls in his negotiations rather than put the screws to his teams. There may be other venues for our games that pay more and don't put this kind of stipulation (7 years of slavery to ESPN/AAC) for chicken feed. Provided we win, we should be a major voice to get Aresco replaced if he can't do his job properly. Make the P6 really the P6 by bringing in the bacon.

Reactions: knightraveler
Why should we settle for chicken feed deal with ESPN/AAC TV deal while we are in the driver seat?

What do you mean when you say we are in the driver seat? I think the problem is that we are not in the drivers seat. There is no conference expansion on the horizon so we have nowhere to go. As of right now we are stuck in neutral. ESPN/P5 is driving the car, not us.

I don't see us getting into a big money conference unless there is a major shakeup and four super conferences are formed. Four 16 team conferences.

So 4 out of 6 titles. That's awesome. Have you looked at the conference revenue allocations? Has UCF made the conference the most money 4 out of 6 years? 2 NY6 Bowl games has to help. I honestly don't know the answer. I know your program's internal revenue is not at the top of the conference. But even at 4 out of 6, you haven't always been the bell cow. 66% is very good, but not the end all be all.

UCF is keeping Boise from taking a big paycheck away from the AAC. They need to recognize.

AAC board is in full meltdown mode. Anyone think we’ll hear from Aresco tomorrow?

For me, P5 would be great, but if the GOR gets UCF $8+ Million and lasts less than 10 years, I would go for it. That is what, 4x what we make now? But it also has to be ESPN because that level of promotion and exposure is worth more than the TV revenue, IMO.

No way man! UCF was worth $12-$13 million to ESPN 6 years ago when they offered it to bring us into the Big East (before Genshaft blocked us and the conference imploded).

We have done nothing but increase our value over that time. $20 million just to get us talking about signing a GOR.

I think something big happpens. Depends who leaked it.
Was it ESPN to have turmoil grow to tear apart the AAC to form a super conference with MWC schools?

Was it a competing network to force ESPN to play their hand?

A member school? To add pressure?

Aresco to increase our value?

Did the big 12 leak this to add the perception that they have to add say a Ucf or uc.

Idk which one but something is brewing in the background.

I think something big happpens. Depends who leaked it.
Was it ESPN to have turmoil grow to tear apart the AAC to form a super conference with MWC schools?

Was it a competing network to force ESPN to play their hand?

A member school? To add pressure?

Aresco to increase our value?

Did the big 12 leak this to add the perception that they have to add say a Ucf or uc.

Idk which one but something is brewing in the background.

I don't see how a AAC/MWC merger will get us 20+ million a year. MWC schools get 1 million a year except for BSU who gets 2.7 million. I don't think the best pieces of conferences can generate a 20+ million contract. Even worse is that now we need to play teams on the west coast. A night game on the west coast is close to midnight on the east coast. That is part of P12's complaint. No one is watching them play.

Personally I would love it as I live in WA so I would have a chance to attend way more games. For UCF this would be a disaster. I rather watch most of my UCF games on TV and watch the Griffin's live in Seattle. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT