ADVERTISEMENT

Grant of Rights: Media Deal

I don't see how a AAC/MWC merger will get us 20+ million a year. MWC schools get 1 million a year except for BSU who gets 2.7 million. I don't think the best pieces of conferences can generate a 20+ million contract. Even worse is that now we need to play teams on the west coast. A night game on the west coast is close to midnight on the east coast. That is part of P12's complaint. No one is watching them play.

Personally I would love it as I live in WA so I would have a chance to attend way more games. For UCF this would be a disaster. I rather watch most of my UCF games on TV and watch the Griffin's live in Seattle. :)

I guess you could add a East/West division and wed play everyone in our division while rotating west teams. Only adding 1 or 2 games a year that we play on the west coast.

You may be onto something. Why would ESPN even bring this up when they have a sweetheart of a deal with the A.A.C. Their may be something more to this story.

Reactions: renzmeister
I guess you could add a East/West division and wed play everyone in our division while rotating west teams. Only adding 1 or 2 games a year that we play on the west coast.

East/West divisions would work if there was enough good teams to create two 8-team divisions. It would be a stretch to come up with 8 teams total that would warrant a 20+ million contract.

I think something big happpens. Depends who leaked it.
Was it ESPN to have turmoil grow to tear apart the AAC to form a super conference with MWC schools?

Was it a competing network to force ESPN to play their hand?

A member school? To add pressure?

Aresco to increase our value?

Did the big 12 leak this to add the perception that they have to add say a Ucf or uc.

Idk which one but something is brewing in the background.

I sense fear. Why would the AAC/ESPN initiate something like this unless there were rumblings from a P5 conference forcing them to take proactive moves? When articles like this are released at the same time;

https://theathletic.com/706227/2018/12/11/big-12-expansion-ucf-football/

it makes you go hmmm. Newton's First Law; An object at rest stays at rest unless acted upon by an outside force. One thing's for certain, this GOR deal isn't happening in a vacuum.

That's an interesting take ^

The thing is, no school in their right mind would sign a GOR unless the money was big. No school is signing a GOR for 6-8 million a year.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
The GOR deal is Aresco's attempt at gaining negotiating leverage. No media partner gives a rats ass about the AAC without UCF, Memphis and Houston.

Don't say that at the bulls board, they might ban you. They're sure this is their shot at making a point.

My magic 8 Ball says "NO" Now looking outside the box, by threatening to lock AAC teams in could force the Big 12 to make a move? I like the chatter! :sunglasses:

UCF, Cincinnati and Houston need to break away and form a new conference with the metro SunBelt/CUSA schools and take and unequal share. We could get $200 million for this conference.

East
UCF $40M
Cincinnati $40M
Army $20M (no olympics)
Georgia State $3.33M
Charlotte $3.33M
FAU/FIU (whichever takes less money) $3.33M

West
Houston $40M
Memphis $20M
Navy $20M (no olympics)
UTSA $3.33M
North Texas $3.33M
UAB $3.33M

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
That's an interesting take ^

The thing is, no school in their right mind would sign a GOR unless the money was big. No school is signing a GOR for 6-8 million a year.

Actually half the AAC would sign a GOR for a little more money. Ones with future hope and options will not.

Reactions: knightraveler
UCF, Cincinnati and Houston need to break away and form a new conference with the metro SunBelt/CUSA schools and take and unequal share. We could get $200 million for this conference.

East
UCF $40M
Cincinnati $40M
Army $20M (no olympics)
Georgia State $3.33M
Charlotte $3.33M

West
Houston $40M
Memphis $20M
Navy $20M (no olympics)
UTSA $3.33M
North Texas $3.33M
UAB $3.33M
Where is USF on this list? I guess Genshafted again!

My magic 8 Ball says "NO" Now looking outside the box, by threatening to lock AAC teams in could force the Big 12 to make a move? I like the chatter! :sunglasses:

I don’t think there is forcing. ESPN just paid the B12 more to not take teams when the B12 had a clause that there contract would stay proportional $/team to the # of teams added.

Don’t remember the numbers but something like $10M/year ($1M/existing team) vs. like $42/year that would’ve gone to the new teams (assuming 2 new). I assume the clause was removed as part of the payoff.

I like the chatter too. Hope it is true....”so you’re telling me there’s a chance”

Last edited:

East
UCF $40M
Cincinnati $40M
Army $20M (no olympics)
Georgia State $3.33M
Charlotte $3.33M

West
Houston $40M
Memphis $20M
Navy $20M (no olympics)
UTSA $3.33M
North Texas $3.33M
UAB $3.33M
You’re out of your fcuking mind if you think someone would pay $200mm for this garbage hypothetical league??

Are you freaking serious Sunbelt and CUSA? Sunbelt and CUSA?? Sunbelt and CUSA!!!!

You’re out of your fcuking mind if you think someone would pay $200mm for this garbage hypothetical league??

Are you freaking serious Sunbelt and CUSA? Sunbelt and CUSA?? Sunbelt and CUSA!!!!

The American gets $126 million right now. A GOR is estimated to get 2-3 times that number at least. I just took the schools that people want to watch, minus UConn who can be replaced by some olympic only schools (VCU, Witchita,etc.). Then you add in the Army/Navy game plus the media markets of Orlando, south FL, Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati and Birmingham. We can easily get $200 million for that, split unequally can get us $20-40 million/year. Have Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, ECU or UConn appeared stronger than SunBelt/CUSA teams while playing in the American?

Actually half the AAC would sign a GOR for a little more money. Ones with future hope and options will not.

Most AAC team's are nervous about the conference being raided and losing UCF and 1 to 3 other top teams. The GOR makes much more sense to them.

This maybe the Big 12 last chance to not become the next Big East. On the financial side with declining viewership I don't see ESPN offering the Big12 more money for expansion. So where is college football going? Maybe a new player with money will step in like Netflix. :sunglasses:

This maybe the Big 12 last chance to not become the next Big East. On the financial side with declining viewership I don't see ESPN offering the Big12 more money for expansion. So where is college football going? Maybe a new player with money will step in like Netflix. :sunglasses:

The Big 12 has the smallest footprint of all the P5 conferences. You think that they would recognize that.

Netflix just paid $100 million for the rights to show Friends for 2019. You’d think they could scrape the same amount for AAC content

Netflix just paid $100 million for the rights to show Friends for 2019. You’d think they could scrape the same amount for AAC content

I'll never understand that, will they really make more than that in subscribers by just having Friends? How is that profitable. Plus the millions they spend making their own shitty movies.

ADVERTISEMENT