ADVERTISEMENT

Grass roots idea to get the memory mall slackers into the game

Boston.Knight

Todd's Tiki Bar
Jun 10, 2002
We need a grass roots effort of volunteers to find the influencers within a group of memory mall slackers and explain to them the situation about packing out the stadium.

So how about everyone on this board, in the GKC, and in the dungeon take it upon themselves to make some rounds before the game. Maybe have some handouts ready to explain why this is so important. (P5, National perception, keeping Frosty, being better than USF pathetic fanbase and so on).

Find the influencers and give them a pitch about getting their spoiled, lazy asses into their seats and enjoy the game and support the program. They can hangout more after the game, but for 3.5 hours, get inside the bounce house and have some fun.

Despite my name I've never tailgated at memory mall. Being in a fraternity I've always tailgated in Lake Claire. However, UCF PD have started kicking us out an hour before kickoff which helps a lot - is it the same at Memory Mall?
One way they can get people in would be to have some sort of pregame promotion. For instance, dollar hot dogs and drinks up to 15 minutes before kick off.

We need a grass roots effort of volunteers to find the influencers within a group of memory mall slackers and explain to them the situation about packing out the stadium.

So how about everyone on this board, in the GKC, and in the dungeon take it upon themselves to make some rounds before the game. Maybe have some handouts ready to explain why this is so important. (P5, National perception, keeping Frosty, being better than USF pathetic fanbase and so on).

Find the influencers and give them a pitch about getting their spoiled, lazy asses into their seats and enjoy the game and support the program. They can hangout more after the game, but for 3.5 hours, get inside the bounce house and have some fun.

If you're going to talk logic about the 'whys' of packing the stadium, you might want to do it as tailgating begins rather than after tailgaters have been enjoying themselves for hours before the game. : )

I personally like the idea of upgrading seats to chairbacks and having mini TNs and/or phone chargers installed.

That's how it is now ain't it?

72GoHome_large.jpg

The spot reservations should only be until kickoff and with proof of a certain amount of tickets. Keep the tailgating spot for people actually attending the games. Go party somewhere else if you're not there for the football game.

I went to FIU my first year of college, and at the first football game they enticed kids to go by having a free concert with Method Man, Redman and All American Rejects play after the game.

Maybe we can stop worrying about everyone else and just enjoy ourselves. They are not at work, I am not their boss. If they want to hang out with friends great, If they want to come in and watch a football game great. What makes ones desire to have a packed stadium more important than ones desire to hang out having a drink with their friends. I prefer to watch the games but I'm not big brother. It is not my job to tell you what to do either so if you want to waste your tailgating time telling kids what to do have at it.

Send a bunch police officers there after the game starts to just "be around". Make it uncomfortable.

Yes, I know. That's not the best idea.
I like where you are going with this. I'd only add billy clubs and water cannons. "You ain't got to go home, but ya gotsta get the hell out of here!"

yeah....I have mixed emotions about that. In one way I want them all in the game. In another way I feel, hey....let them keep partying. Why hassle everyone.

Already too many elementary 'rules and regulations' around UCF tailgating, and fan access to field after games. Take down the chain link fence and lower the level to allow players to jump into stands (similar to how they did at SMU) and allow UCF fans to gain field access to celebrate with the team.

Maybe we can stop worrying about everyone else and just enjoy ourselves. They are not at work, I am not their boss. If they want to hang out with friends great, If they want to come in and watch a football game great. What makes ones desire to have a packed stadium more important than ones desire to hang out having a drink with their friends. I prefer to watch the games but I'm not big brother. It is not my job to tell you what to do either so if you want to waste your tailgating time telling kids what to do have at it.
I agree. Quit hassling them. :)

Do you go to games?

There is nothing worse than hearing from the peanut gallery on what us real fans should and shouldn’t do.

Do you go to games?

Yes, every chance I can get. The attendance is sickly looking on TV for every game, and isn't going to impress anyone. I mean we had better crowds at the CB, and even for the Marshall game 0-17. That's what I want to see again. Man, that crowd was AWESOME.

WTF happened that we go from a packed out, rowdy stadium at 0-17. To #14 ranked in the country, and can't even get the place half full, with a lethargic student section? Man, back in the CB days , if we were ranked #14, we probably would have packed out that place, selling into the upper deck.

It's a lot of marketing psychology to get this working again. I know it's an uphill battle systemic across organized sports, and not specific to UCF. Let's start working on those 'marginal' fans that are right there at the game - the so-called low hanging fruit. Just need to be brainwashed through effective marketing that it's the most fun, coolest, bestest, hippest thing to do. If I were a young marketing major, this could turn into a very effective and meaningful project to put on a resume.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Yes, every chance I can get. The attendance is sickly looking on TV for every game, and isn't going to impress anyone. I mean we had better crowds at the CB, and even for the Marshall game 0-17. That's what I want to see again. Man, that crowd was AWESOME.

WTF happened that we go from a packed out, rowdy stadium at 0-17. To #14 ranked in the country, and can't even get the place half full, with a lethargic student section? Man, back in the CB days , if we were ranked #14, we probably would have packed out that place, selling into the upper deck.

It's a lot of marketing psychology to get this working again. I know it's an uphill battle systemic across organized sports, and not specific to UCF. Let's start working on those 'marginal' fans that are right there at the game - the so-called low hanging fruit. Just need to be brainwashed through effective marketing that it's the most fun, coolest, bestest, hippest thing to do. If I were a young marketing major, this could turn into a very effective and meaningful project to put on a resume.

Every chance you get better mean every home game, at least. I don't what to hear about how our attendance looked on TV from someone who wasn't at the game. Be the change you want to see.

the student section has gotten worse...it used to be the one section UCF could rely on and they don't have ticket prices as an excuse.

If Uconn is a bad crowd with a Top 15 AP Ranking things need to be addressed

Reactions: UCFhonors

Because technically "tailgating" implies you are going to attend the actual event. If all you want to do is party and hang out there is literally the rest of time to do that. Attending the "tailgate" comes with an expectation you are there for the game. The expectation when you go to a movie is to watch the movie. If you go to the movie and party during the whole thing, what's the point of going? You just ruined the movie for everyone else. If you go to a tailgate and don't bother to go into the game, in an obviously lesser way, you're kind of ruining the game experience by not participating.

If you go to a tailgate and don't bother to go into the game, in an obviously lesser way, you're kind of ruining the game experience by not participating.

+1 - start harassing all the slackers to either go into the game or go home.

Because technically "tailgating" implies you are going to attend the actual event. If all you want to do is party and hang out there is literally the rest of time to do that. Attending the "tailgate" comes with an expectation you are there for the game. The expectation when you go to a movie is to watch the movie. If you go to the movie and party during the whole thing, what's the point of going? You just ruined the movie for everyone else. If you go to a tailgate and don't bother to go into the game, in an obviously lesser way, you're kind of ruining the game experience by not participating.
So if I meet my friends for dinner before they go to a movie then go out to a bar with other friends, I've ruined the movie for every one. Guess I owe some apologies for ruining movies.

Reactions: Nyght Shadow
Really, this does make sense. Tailgating implies you are going into an event.

Because people, intoxicated people, love being told what to do. Start creating a negative atmosphere for tailgating and you will see numbers reduce.

So if I meet my friends for dinner before they go to a movie then go out to a bar with other friends, I've ruined the movie for every one. Guess I owe some apologies for ruining movies.

Not really the same. Tailgating's only function is a precursor to a game or event. Eating a dinner's only function is not a precursor to a movie. The two are mutually exclusive activities. Tailgating and event participation are not.

Because people, intoxicated people, love being told what to do. Start creating a negative atmosphere for tailgating and you will see numbers reduce.

You'll see tailgating and then not going to the game numbers reduce. The people who go to the games won't notice because they'll be in the game. I couldn't care less if the tailgaters who don't go to the game stop tailgating. All that does is free up more parking.

Not really the same. Tailgating's only function is a precursor to a game or event. Eating a dinner's only function is not a precursor to a movie. The two are mutually exclusive activities. Tailgating and event participation are not.
While I get your perspective by your own complaint it is obvious many on Memory Mall see the tailgate experience as the event. If they do not call themselves tailgater but rather non football watching Saturday afternoon parties, does that make them more acceptable.

I guess I just don't get the point of going to tailgate if you aren't going to go to the event. Especially college students. Are there not enough other opportunities to drink and be stupid with your friends? Actually, even more especially, non college students. Who makes the effort of going all the way to the campus and setting up a tailgate if you aren't even going to the game? Why not just stay home and do the same thing?

While I get your perspective by your own complaint it is obvious many on Memory Mall see the tailgate experience as the event. If they do not call themselves tailgater but rather non football watching Saturday afternoon parties, does that make them more acceptable.

No. That's even worse. At that point, they're just idiot college kids with no pride in their team or their university who can't seem to be satisfied with being a drunken idiot until the game starts, its gotta be all day and night.

It's pathetic.

You must be getting old like the rest of us.

First, no there is not enough opportunities in a kids mind to drink much less be stupid.

Second, Memory Mall is one of the best parties going on.

My advice, Enjoy your tailgate. When you go into the game if some one is sitting next to you give them a high five when we score. If the seat is empty enjoy the extra room, let others make their own choices about where they spend their time and money

Reactions: Nyght Shadow
meh agree on not bothering tailgaters, doller is just venting. The perception and attendance at games has been embarrassing considering how good this team is...this fanbase used to joke all the time about USF's support and right now we haven't been much better

You'll see tailgating and then not going to the game numbers reduce. The people who go to the games won't notice because they'll be in the game. I couldn't care less if the tailgaters who don't go to the game stop tailgating. All that does is free up more parking.

If the size of the current tailgate is turning people away from attending, then you have a valid point. If not, then you are just driving people away for no reason. There is likely a sizeable amount of individuals that are attending the game because of the large tailgate atmosphere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT