ADVERTISEMENT

Grich Aresco?

SchmidtyNole

Two-Star Recruit
Feb 19, 2007
From an outsiders perspective, I think Grich Aresco is doing all of the right things to make the AAC into a Power 6 conference. I think all of the AAC's teams are every bit as or even more formidable than the Vandy's, Iowa State's, Purdue's, Kansas's that liter the Power 5. The problem for the AAC is they need two or three brand names that draw eyeballs to the TV set. The ACC has FSU, Clemson, Miami and Virginia Tech. The SEC has Bama, LSU, Georgia and Auburn. The Big 10 has Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State. The AAC doesn't have those types of programs that draw national interest. Could some of the programs develop that? Maybe, we'll see. That makes it challenging to command a really good TV rights deal. To Grich Aresco's credit, he is doing all he can do.

Last edited:
From an outsiders perspective, I think Grich Aresco is doing all of the right things to make the AAC into a Power 6 conference. I think all of the AAC's teams are every bit as or even more formidable than the Vandy's, Iowa State's, Purdue's, Kansas's that liter the Power 5. The problem for the AAC is they need two or three brand names that draw eyeballs to the TV set. The ACC has FSU, Clemson, Miami and Virginia Tech. The SEC has Bama, LSU, Georgia and Auburn. The Big 10 has Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State. The AAC doesn't have those types of programs that draw national interest. Could some of the programs develop that? Maybe, we'll see. That makes it challenging to command a really good TV rights deal. To Grich Aresco's credit, he is doing all he can do.
Yeah, all the name programs are in basketball. In football, Cincy was decent for a while and UConn had a couple years with some quality, but the AAC has lost ground it needs to regain. At least for UCF, it should make Frost's job easier. I see us winning the conference in 2018.

I agree. The difficulty comes from the recruiting side being G5. We don't get the plug and play 4 and 5 star athletes necessary to sustain continued dominance for years on end. And even if our programs do, our coaches are lured away by larger $ offers.

It's a catch 22. It will take some real loyalty from coaches and athletes who are willing to stay and sacrifice bigger offers to help this league grow.

Reactions: mattropolis
I agree. The difficulty comes from the recruiting side being G5. We don't get the plug and play 4 and 5 star athletes necessary to sustain continued dominance for years on end. And even if our programs do, our coaches are lured away by larger $ offers.

It's a catch 22. It will take some real loyalty from coaches and athletes who are willing to stay and sacrifice bigger offers to help this league grow.
So you're saying it's all rigged. Tell us more. The other 64 schools not in the P5 must tread water. Yet college presidents put up with it and so do Congressional reps. The result is the P5 puts the screws to us more and more each year. They refuse to play us, won't schedule road games, "pay" players for incidentals (which heavily subsidized G5 schools can't afford to do), offer superior facilities and more and better assistant coaches. Today, No way that the 2013 UCF would get a chance to play themselves into the top 10 today.

So you're saying it's all rigged. Tell us more. The other 64 schools not in the P5 must tread water. Yet college presidents put up with it and so do Congressional reps. The result is the P5 puts the screws to us more and more each year. They refuse to play us, won't schedule road games, "pay" players for incidentals (which heavily subsidized G5 schools can't afford to do), offer superior facilities and more and better assistant coaches. Today, No way that the 2013 UCF would get a chance to play themselves into the top 10 today.
I wouldn't say its rigged. A lot of the brand names and traditions of a lot of the schools in the Power 5 have been developed over 100 years of playing Football. Where I hate it for the G5 teams is you can't tell me a school like UCF couldn't exceed schools like Purdue, Iowa State, Kansas or Vandy if they had the opportunities and finances those schools have for no reason other than their association with a Power 5 conference. For what it is worth, we just finished a Home and Home with USF so not everyone will refuse to play a road game against an AAC team. :)

I wouldn't say its rigged. A lot of the brand names and traditions of a lot of the schools in the Power 5 have been developed over 100 years of playing Football. Where I hate it for the G5 teams is you can't tell me a school like UCF couldn't exceed schools like Purdue, Iowa State, Kansas or Vandy if they had the opportunities and finances those schools have for no reason other than their association with a Power 5 conference. For what it is worth, we just finished a Home and Home with USF so not everyone will refuse to play a road game against an AAC team. :)
Of course the historically best brand name athletic programs are in the P5. Others have faded over the decades while newbies like UCF have grown up. The P5 froze those alignments (rig 1) in place, and use that power to alter rules that continue to accentuate the monetary benefits and marginalize the G5.

On the other hand, some of the 35 schools moving up to FBS in the past 31 years and many of the other G5 schools have no fiscal hope of surviving the coming squeeze -- even if the P5 weren't adding to that pressure. Remember that athletics is a money loser for most schools, and in any case 100% of the revenue is spent within the athletic program. Also, the reason that so many schools like Stetson have reactivated their football program is to attract male student enrollment (once women reach 60% of the student body, applications stall out).

Sorry, but it's rigged against us. You're right, UCF would easily surpass the Purdue's, Iowa St, Kansas's of the world. I think we can beat them now. But as long as they get to collect millions more in TV money they didn't earn off the backs of Ohio St and company, UCF will always be at a disadvantage because we aren't in the good ole boys club.

Reactions: Square Knight
Sorry, but it's rigged against us. You're right, UCF would easily surpass the Purdue's, Iowa St, Kansas's of the world. I think we can beat them now. But as long as they get to collect millions more in TV money they didn't earn off the backs of Ohio St and company, UCF will always be at a disadvantage because we aren't in the good ole boys club.
Purdue, Indiana, Vandy, Miss St., etc. have a symbiotic relationship with the perennial ranked members of their conference. They lose big time to Bamas and Ohio St. in exchange for a guaranteed share of the revenue. That the way pro sports work, too. They are cartels allowed to share media revenue and can block all new entrants who threaten their private party.

Purdue, Indiana, Vandy, Miss St., etc. have a symbiotic relationship with the perennial ranked members of their conference. They lose big time to Bamas and Ohio St. in exchange for a guaranteed share of the revenue. That the way pro sports work, too. They are cartels allowed to share media revenue and can block all new entrants who threaten their private party.

I disagree about pro sports. They are all on an equal footing especially in the NFL (for the most part) where there is a salary cap. It's just some organizations are just better than others.

But yes P5/G5 divide is a cartel because no matter what UCF does, they may still never move up.

I disagree about pro sports. They are all on an equal footing especially in the NFL (for the most part) where there is a salary cap. It's just some organizations are just better than others.
The pro sports (except for Baseball, where the Yanks get to keep their MSG cable revenue, allowing them to have a much larger payroll) guarantee their billionaire club owners big profits regardless of record and attendance. Why? Collusive regulations, revenue sharing, and blocked entry (all illegal in every other private industry). Thus, owners don't have any expertise about running or hiring managers and GMs. It's just a highly profitable hobby and status symbol for them. The major contrast with college sports is that all pro team owners make money and no college does (but the AD and head coaches make plenty).

For what it is worth, we just finished a Home and Home with USF so not everyone will refuse to play a road game against an AAC team

Florida State has turned down numerous requests from UCF to play home-and-home over the last 10 years. Florida is so arrogant, we probably don't even ask them.

There are some schools that are willing to play at UCF. Miami signed a 2-for-1 with us which turned into a home-and-home. South Carolina, Missouri, Boston College, Maryland, and NC State are examples of games already played at UCF. That's not a very long list for a 10 year span of time and highlights the G5 difficulty in getting to play P5 teams at home.

Georgia Tech, Pittsburgh and Stanford are scheduled over the next few years.

Texas played at UCF, but that was at the special arrangement of ESPN who wanted a big name opponent to televise the first game in or new stadium. Not sure Texas would have come here without ESPN's encouragement.

There are some schools that are willing to play at UCF. Miami signed a 2-for-1 with us which turned into a home-and-home. South Carolina, Missouri, Boston College, Maryland, and NC State are examples of games already played at UCF. That's not a very long list for a 10 year span of time and highlights the G5 difficulty in getting to play P5 teams at home. Texas played at UCF

All of them got a heck of a game from the Knights too. Teams know they will have a fight on their hands when they step into our stadium (other than 2015).

In our Citrus Bowl days, we got Purdue and VaTech here, both of which creamed us despite large home crowds. The Tech game is among the largest we've ever drawn.

Video puts into context the reuniting of old Missouri Valley Conference schools in the AAC: Tulsa, Cincy, Houston, Memphis, and Wichita.

AAC commissioner: Wichita State, chili, media money and the Power 6
http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article158872349.html
Wichita State was a great basketball only addition for you guys. Football wise it really comes down to winning big non-conference games against the Power 5 and changing the narrative one year at a time. It won't happen for you guys overnight. But the AAC is clearly closer to the Power 5 than any of the other Group of 5 conferences.

Wichita State was a great basketball only addition for you guys. Football wise it really comes down to winning big non-conference games against the Power 5 and changing the narrative one year at a time. It won't happen for you guys overnight. But the AAC is clearly closer to the Power 5 than any of the other Group of 5 conferences.
Boise state did it for years....in the end it has gained them nothing but a little recognition.

Football wise it really comes down to winning big non-conference games against the Power 5 and changing the narrative one year at a time. It won't happen for you guys overnight.
Bull! The P5 refuses to play us. Half the schools in the AAC have only one of their four OOC games with P5 schools. And much of those games are at the P5's home stadium against hostile crowds. P5 conferences have even recommended they play all or most OOC games against fellow P5 schools in other conferences. Top P5 schools refuse to agree to home-and-away series (or find a way to cancel the away game later). It's a rigged game, and gets worse each year. Law suits are the only way to bust up this illegal restraint of trade.

Reactions: Square Knight
Boise state did it for years....in the end it has gained them nothing but a little recognition.

That's because it was only one school in a conference making noise.

What we are talking about is having several strong football schools with good,competitive records vs P5 opponents. That would be much more significant.

Also, the reason it didn't do Boise St any good is because they can barely be considered a college. There is no way they would fit into a P5 conference academically. Their market also sucks. The entire state of Idaho doesn't have enough people to make a conference want them.

That's because it was only one school in a conference making noise.

What we are talking about is having several strong football schools with good,competitive records vs P5 opponents. That would be much more significant.

Also, the reason it didn't do Boise St any good is because they can barely be considered a college. There is no way they would fit into a P5 conference academically. Their market also sucks. The entire state of Idaho doesn't have enough people to make a conference want them.
You nailed it.

Looks like Boise state had their "15 minutes" (longer actually) of fame and is headed into obscurity. They should have taken an invite to a better conference when they could have. They could have been in our conference at the very least. Now with a new coach, etc., who knows if they will ever get back to where they were. They are still a quality program, but haven't been ranked in 2 years. The loss of Peterson really hurt them.

Last edited:
Looks like Boise state had their "15 minutes" (longer actually) of fame and is headed into obscurity. They should have taken an invite to a better conference when they could have. They could have been in our conference at the very least. Now with a new coach, etc., who knows if they will ever get back to where they were. They are still a quality program, but haven't been ranked in 2 years. The loss of Peterson really hurt them.
I could see them being added to the Pac12 (ideally along with BYU) now that Utah and Colorado are in the conference. Boise St. has a good basketball program, too, and survived the loss of their football coach.

I love how folks here claim we could beat the aforementioned teams like it was no problem. Need I remind you our record vs. the following "P5 bottom dwellers"...

Syracuse 0-3
Pitt 0-1
K State 0-1
Purdue 0-2
Ole Miss 0-1
MSU 0-2
Virg. Tech 0-3
Stanford 0-1
Arizona State 0-1
South Carolina 0-5

Who exactly have we beaten consistantly to warrant such confidence? Besides maybe Bama.

Last edited:
I love how folks here claim we could beat the aforementioned teams like it was no problem. Need I remind you our record vs. the following "P5 bottom dwellers"...

Syracuse 0-3
Pitt 0-1
K State 0-1
Purdue 0-2
Ole Miss 0-1
MSU 0-2
Virg. Tech 0-3
Stanford 0-1
Arizona State 0-1
South Carolina 0-5

Who exactly have we beaten consistantly to warrant such confidence? Besides maybe Bama.
Bama has beaten all of those teams handily, and we are undefeated vs Bama. So it all makes perfect sense.

Reactions: Stetson_1883
The Tech game is among the largest we've ever drawn.

The VT game was one of the most fun I ever attended. The atmosphere in the citrus bowl was electric. FSU in tally was a hoot, The Marshal break the lose streak game was the best.

Syracuse 0-3
Pitt 0-1
K State 0-1
Purdue 0-2
Ole Miss 0-1
MSU 0-2
Virg. Tech 0-3
Stanford 0-1
Arizona State 0-1
South Carolina 0-5
I wouldn't call many of these bottom dwellers. Also, some of the games were played 15 and 20 years ago. We beat Georgia, Bama, and Penn State. Lastly, give us P5 stature, schedule, and cable contract, and our recruiting ("I won't get drafted unless I get to play with and against top players"), operating budget, quality of assistant coaches, and ranking would be higher, too. Once again, it's easy to slip into getting cause and effect backwards: W-L doesn't get you into a P5 conference, but a P5 conference gets you W-L and ranking. The bottom dwellers in the P5 would be doing much worse (or drop football altogether) without this advantage.

I wouldn't call many of these bottom dwellers. Also, some of the games were played 15 and 20 years ago. We beat Georgia, Bama, and Penn State. Lastly, give us P5 stature, schedule, and cable contract, and our recruiting ("I won't get drafted unless I get to play with and against top players"), operating budget, quality of assistant coaches, and ranking would be higher, too. Once again, it's easy to slip into getting cause and effect backwards: W-L doesn't get you into a P5 conference, but a P5 conference gets you W-L and ranking. The bottom dwellers in the P5 would be doing much worse (or drop football altogether) without this advantage.

Wheeeeeee a .3333 win percentage against big bad Penn State! We are TITANS!

And what would you call those teams? Perenial conference champions?

Go back to bed old man.

I could see them being added to the Pac12 (ideally along with BYU) now that Utah and Colorado are in the conference. Boise St. has a good basketball program, too, and survived the loss of their football coach.
They (and BYU) will never be part of the Pac12.

It looks more and more like UCF is the future hope of the AAC, but the AAC can't be the future for UCF.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT