ADVERTISEMENT

Griner out

It's great that Griner has been released. But what about Paul Whelan? He's been in a Russian prison since 2018 on trumped up charges of Espionage. All along, I though the negotiations were a 2 for 1 swap.

The Russians wouldn’t do it for Whelan. It was Griner or nothing. Unfortunately they don’t care about human rights or the fate of your own citizens, so they hold the edge.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
It's great that Griner has been released. But what about Paul Whelan? He's been in a Russian prison since 2018 on trumped up charges of Espionage. All along, I though the negotiations were a 2 for 1 swap.
Joe negotiated one helluva deal!!!!!

That was an incredibly classy response from the Whelan family given the huge disappointment they must be feeling.

Unfortunately, in this day and age, many families in that situation would have gone on social media and stoked up anger by reacting with "Why is Griner getting released but not Whelan?" even though it wasn't the Biden Administration's doing. It was the Russians' refusal to negotiate for Whelan's release that was the sticking point.

well Whalen just did a rare interview from jail which Russia never allows to say he was disappointed(monitored call obviously)..Russia knows exactly what they are doing w this…stir up divisions domestically bc they are better at that than on the battlefield vs Ukraine

Wonder how much the Biden administration paid the Whalens to put out that statement, lol.

BS for sure.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Wonder how much the Biden administration paid the Whalens to put out that statement, lol.

BS for sure.
I refuse to look at this that pessimistically. It’s like what @Poolside Knight said they did this to sow political division. The Russians were never going to give up a US Marine (maybe if we remove some sanctions).

Should we have just left them both to rot or bring at least one back?

Wonder how much the Biden administration paid the Whalens to put out that statement, lol. BS for sure.
Soooooooooooooooo......the real villain here is the 'woke politics' of the Biden Administration?

Joe's response is exactly why Russia was willing to negotiate for Griner's release but not Whelan's.

Soooooooooooooooo......the real villain here is the 'woke politics' of the Biden Administration?

Joe's response is exactly why Russia was willing to negotiate for Griner's release but not Whelan's.
Ahhh, you know, you were doing sooooo well these past few months without putting words in my mouth.

Try again: but this time, use your brain.

I refuse to look at this that pessimistically. It’s like what @Poolside Knight said they did this to sow political division. The Russians were never going to give up a US Marine (maybe if we remove some sanctions).

Should we have just left them both to rot or bring at least one back?
Then don't make the deal. If the intent was division, and someone on a message board like you can see it, then the Biden Admin. should have seen it too.

Doubly stupid for them to let Russia pull this shit. But hey, we got that Whalens to tell us it's ok. For free. Yup.

Then don't make the deal. If the intent was division, and someone on a message board like you can see it, then the Biden Admin. should have seen it too.

Doubly stupid for them to let Russia pull this shit. But hey, we got that Whalens to tell us it's ok. For free. Yup.
Or you do the deal and suffer the political consequences knowing you saved an American life from years if torture and possible death.

Or you do the deal and suffer the political consequences knowing you saved an American life from years if torture and possible death.
A valuable American life, at that.

Biden: Sends over 100 Billion to Ukraine to fight Russia.
Also Biden: Gives Russia a notorious Arms dealer in exchange for a loud-mouthed Basketball player.

The government will release a terrorist murderer to get back Griner, but won't let the folks in their own nation catch a break under the same charge. But, because she's a Lesbian star, she gets special treatment, as a political ploy.

Helluva deal.

Reactions: major.tom.foolery
A valuable American life, at that.

Biden: Sends over 100 Billion to Ukraine to fight Russia.
Also Biden: Gives Russia a notorious Arms dealer in exchange for a loud-mouthed Basketball player.

The government will release a terrorist murderer to get back Griner, but won't let the folks in their own nation catch a break under the same charge. But, because she's a Lesbian star, she gets special treatment, as a political ploy.

Helluva deal.

Biden just pardoned federal marijuana offenders in October, and encouraged governers to do the same for people with state charges, so this simply isnt true.

I also dont really like the idea of trying to protect American citizens overseas based on their profession or political views. I hope Whelan gets home sooner rather than later too, but Whelan was given a bad conduct discharge from the marines in 2008 and was over their on personal business just like Griner. There is no reason to claim Whelan is "more valuable" than Griner, they were both over there to make a living and we should do what we can to help both. At this time, only Griner was on the table however.

Last edited:
Then don't make the deal.
Why? Most Americans have grown accustomed to Russia's trollish behavior designed to stir the pot. IMO, the deal was most certainly worth saving an innocent American life from years of imprisonment.
If the intent was division, and someone on a message board like you can see it, then the Biden Admin. should have seen it too.
They most certainly did -- most Americans see through Russia's intentions too.
But hey, we got that Whalens to tell us it's ok. For free. Yup.
You believe the Whalens weren't kept up-to-date with what was going on with the negotiations? They understood the situation. In a 'Deal with the Devil,' it's always better to get something rather than nothing at all -- unless, I suppose, you're part of the MAGA Republican Party. That's their modus operandi :)

Biden just pardoned federal marijuana offenders in October, and encouraged governers to do the same for people with state charges, so this simply isnt true.

I also dont really like the idea of trying to protect American citizens overseas based on their profession or political views. I hope Whelan gets home sooner rather than later too, but Whelan was given a bad conduct discharge from the marines in 2008 and was over their on personal business just like Griner. There is no reason to claim Whelan is "more valuable" than Griner, they were both over there to make a living and we should do what we can to help both. At this time, only Griner was on the table however.
I said the same charge. He has encouraged at the state level. Ain’t too much being done and I don’t see equivalency here.

I said the same charge. He has encouraged at the state level. Ain’t too much being done and I don’t see equivalency here.

If it isnt being done then blame the governors and legislatures, not Biden. There is nothing stopping people like Desantis from pardoning or giving clemency to people in their states.

Ahhh, you know, you were doing sooooo well these past few months without putting words in my mouth.
Words in your mouth? You mean words like these--->"Biden: Gives Russia a notorious Arms dealer in exchange for a loud-mouthed Basketball player" or these---> "because she's a Lesbian star, she gets special treatment, as a political ploy"???

Words in your mouth? You mean words like these--->"Biden: Gives Russia a notorious Arms dealer in exchange for a loud-mouthed Basketball player" or these---> "because she's a Lesbian star, she gets special treatment, as a political ploy"???

You really aren't very good at this. Your response was to my sarcastic query with some stupid thing about the villainy of woke politics. That had nothing to do with what I said. But thanks for trying.

Your response was to my sarcastic query with some stupid thing about the villainy of woke politics. That had nothing to do with what I said.
We all should be celebrating an American being freed from a Russian prison. What in the world does being a "Lesbian Star" have to do with anything?

Frankly, it's the kind of "woke agenda" attack strategy you'd expect to hear from your Governor DeSantis.

We all should be celebrating an American being freed from a Russian prison. What in the world does being a "Lesbian Star" have to do with anything?

Frankly, it's the kind of "woke agenda" attack strategy you'd expect to hear from your Governor DeSantis.
Um, why don’t you ask her? She’s the one who has tried to play that card her entire professional career—including her time in the hole in Russia.

She found out pretty quickly that shit only matters in this country—you know, the one that supposedly oppresses her and everyone else.

Um, why don’t you ask her? She’s the one who has tried to play that card her entire professional career—including her time in the hole in Russia.
Play WHAT card? I sure wouldn't want to assume its the 'evil woke politics' card and be accused of putting words in your mouth. ;)

And for what its worth, NO ONE is going to be trumpeting their homosexuality in a Russian prison.

Play WHAT card? I sure wouldn't want to assume its the 'evil woke politics' card and be accused of putting words in your mouth. ;)

And for what its worth, NO ONE is going to be trumpeting their homosexuality in a Russian prison.
What card??!?! Wtf do you think we are talking about? Please stop being intentionally obtuse. It isn’t cute.

What card??!?! Wtf do you think we are talking about? Please stop being intentionally obtuse. It isn’t cute.
What card???!? WTF? Who is the one being intentionally obtuse?

Christ, YOU are the one who said she's "played that card her entire career" a few hours ago for crying out loud. Your memory can't be that bad.

What card???!? WTF? Who is the one being intentionally obtuse?

Christ, YOU are the one who said she's "played that card her entire career" a few hours ago for crying out loud. Your memory can't be that bad.
Annnnd we've reached der shooky's breaking point where reading comprehension is thrown out the window and he starts yelling at clouds.

We're clearly done here.

Glad she is home. The world is a far safer place thanks to Joe.
By far it is much, much safer.

The Merchant of Death for a Loudmouth Pothead Activist. Shit, we just should have hired the GM of the Cleveland Browns to negotiate this instead of anyone in our government like Comatose Joe, so we could have at least expected a BOHICA outcome like this.

But YEAH!!!!!! WE GOT A REAL 'MURICAN BACK!!!!!

By far it is much, much safer.

The Merchant of Death for a Loudmouth Pothead Activist. Shit, we just should have hired the GM of the Cleveland Browns to negotiate this instead of anyone in our government like Comatose Joe, so we could have at least expected a BOHICA outcome like this.

Actually, now we know who negotiated this bullshit:

Translation: WTF??? COMATOSE JOE MADE A DEAL TO BRING BACK A BLACK LESBIAN FOR CRYING OUT LOUD??!?!??

FWIW, the "Merchant of Death" has been in jail for over ten years and legal experts said that he was likely to remain there for only two or three more years.

I guess we could've done diddily-squat and listened to you whine about a Federal Judge's decision to grant this Ruski an early release with Griner STILL STUCK in a Russian prison.

Translation: WTF??? COMATOSE JOE MADE A DEAL TO BRING BACK A BLACK LESBIAN FOR CRYING OUT LOUD??!?!??

FWIW, the "Merchant of Death" has been in jail for over ten years and legal experts said that he was likely to remain there for only two or three more years.

I guess we could've done diddily-squat and listened to you whine about a Federal Judge's decision to grant this Ruski an early release with Griner STILL STUCK in a Russian prison.
You're just embarrassing yourself now. When CNN says this was a shit deal, it's a shit deal. You're just grasping at straws at this point...

Time for you to step away from this one.

You're just embarrassing yourself now. When CNN says this was a shit deal, it's a shit deal. You're just grasping at straws at this point...

Time for you to step away from this one.
LOL, Nice Try!!! I can see why the hell you want me to step away.

First, you tried using amnesia to walk back your earlier comments. Second, you've now tried justifying your crappola by--get this--quoting CNN! Lastly, you're hoping that by trashing me, the beating you're taking in this thread will stop. :)

LOL, Nice Try!!! I can see why the hell you want me to step away.

First, you tried using amnesia to walk back your earlier comments. Second, you've now tried justifying your crappola by--get this--quoting CNN! Lastly, you're hoping that by trashing me, the beating you're taking in this thread will stop. :)
By all means, keep going. You're the one looking quite stupid. If you'd like to keep getting your brains beat in here, I will be happy to oblige. I've forgotten how much of a glutton for pain you are to these things.

Yeah boy, celebrating the return of an innocent American who has been stuck in a Russian prison this past year is SO stupid, right? 🤪
Yeah, baby! She was 100% innocent by Russian law!!!!!!!

As I have said before, on one hand, no one should be imprisoned for weed. Period. Play stupid games in another country and take your chances, win stupid prizes.

But we've already been down this road over the summer when I made you look like an absolute fool and it looks like you want some more now. So, come get some.

Last edited:
Yeah, baby! She was 100% innocent by Russian law!!!!!!!
Talk about an absolute fool---you are actually going to tout Russian law with a straight face?

Here's more Russian Law for you from today's headlines:

Let me guess: This dissenter -- sentenced to eight 1/2 years is another reckless person playing "stupid games" and "taking chances," and winning "stupid prizes." right?

Talk about an absolute fool---you are actually going to tout Russian law with a straight face?

Here's more Russian Law for you from today's headlines:

Let me guess: This dissenter -- sentenced to eight 1/2 years is another reckless person playing "stupid games" and "taking chances," and winning "stupid prizes." right?
You have to be the dumbest fetus on the planet.

Answer a quick question, dumb ass: did she break the law in Russia?

I just fukcing told you I didn’t agree with their weed shit. The state dept also told all Americans over there to watch out.

Now please continue embarrassing yourself. Tis the highlight of my day!!!!!

You have to be the dumbest fetus on the planet.
I know this kind of ridicule is your shtick around here, but this thread, you know, YOUR OP, is about: your anger at the Biden Administration for arranging for an American citizen to be freed from a Russian prison. So, the personal attacks you've thrown my way kind of feel like your attempt at avoiding the very issue you, yourself, raised. Weird, huh? I can't imagine why.

Back to the issue, at first glance, most Americans would be justified in scratching their heads at you and wondering why anyone would be angry at getting Griner released. But you helped clarify it for folks here by saying saying she was "a loudmouthed pothead activist," and "a Lesbian star" to boot! OH, and let's not forget your 'Drop the Mic; kicker: She broke Russian Law!!!!!

We need to save this State Dept. negotiating BS for REAL 'MERICANS, right? ;)

I know this kind of ridicule is your shtick around here, but this thread, you know, YOUR OP, is about: your anger at the Biden Administration for arranging for an American citizen to be freed from a Russian prison. So, the personal attacks you've thrown my way kind of feel like your attempt at avoiding the very issue you, yourself, raised. Weird, huh? I can't imagine why.

Back to the issue, at first glance, most Americans would be justified in scratching their heads at you and wondering why anyone would be angry at getting Griner released. But you helped clarify it for folks here by saying saying she was "a loudmouthed pothead activist," and "a Lesbian star" to boot! OH, and let's not forget your 'Drop the Mic; kicker: She broke Russian Law!!!!!

We need to save this State Dept. negotiating BS for REAL 'MERICANS, right?

You seriously can't be this dumb.

She. Broke. A. Law. In. Russia. I don't like it. You don't like it. That really doesn't matter now, does it? If the wife and I ever go to Qatar or Dubai, we'll make sure not to break their PDA rules, even though those have to be the dumbest shit on the planet. Their house, their rules. I am extremely sorry you can't get that through your thick head. You clearly are not capable of understanding the base alloy of all of this. And I don't think you ever will.

Tell you what, you go over to Russia and start vaping dope in the middle of Moscow. Go on. I dare you. Tell them it's AOK because you **gasp** don't think you're doing anything wrong. Go on. Not a problem whatsoever because you don't think it is. Again, play stupid games because you don't think you'll get caught or because you don't think it's a good law, reap the whirlwind.

Avoiding the issue? Are you serious? Are you high? YOU STILL AREN'T ANSWERING MY QUESTION:

Did she break the law in Russia?

Waiting...

Did she break the law in Russia?
Griner was searched at the Moscow airport and found to have vape cartridges in her luggage that contained oil derived from cannibus. Even in the small amounts to be found in vape cartridges, Russian law deemed it drug smuggling and charged, convicted, and sentenced her to nine years in prison for it. Did she 'break the law'? Ooooookay. So what?

FWIW, Ilya Yashin, a Russian anti-war protestor, (link I posted above) broke the law in Russia too. GASP!!! Yashin was charged with spreading false information about the military — a new offense added to the country's criminal law after Russian President Vladimir Putin sent troops into Ukraine. He was sentenced to eight and a half years in prison. I guess it's deserved 'cause he's a LAW BREAKER too, right?

It's funny how SOME people want to point to 'The Law' inside a Criminal Country no less---when it suits their purposes. Without question, Griner should have been more careful inside a foreign country--particularly when that foreign country is Russia. But it strains credulity to pass this off as 'Griner broke the law and got what she deserved.' Hell, you could argue that 90% of the hostages taken in the Middle East or South America should have known better than to put themselves in situations where they were being kidnapped was a distinct possibility. But did we hold that against them when attempting to negotiate for their release?

The bottom line is someone's race, politics, and/or sexuality shouldn't make them any less important than anybody else. All Americans rescued from bad situations should be celebrated, not ridiculed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT