ADVERTISEMENT

***Gus Malzahn Media Day Press Conference (Recap added) ⚔🏈

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com

Speaking in front of the cameras at Media Day, UCF head coach Gus Malzahn addressed the ongoing quarterback battle, season expectations, recruiting and much more.

21+ minutes is a lot of text to transcribe (and read), so I thought I'd condense things down and give a more concise recap with notable quotes for those who don't have time to watch the whole thing through.

This camp "feels completely different" than last year, which it should. Majority of guys are back. Wednesday was the first day of pads, which is when you start to learn more. Thursday was an off day. Friday is a third-down emphasis day, Saturday a red zone day, then Sunday is a scrimmage.

Sam Jackson told Bri from Spectrum that he feels this team is similar to the 2017 team.

"If he's comparing that, I think we're in a good spot as far as potential. But potential only means so much. Leaders like Sam are the key to the whole deal. We had a team meeting last night and Sam got up and spoke about that. What we need to do. Guys are rallying around him. There's a lot of excitement. The hard work is now. I think our guys are ready for that."

On the two SEC WR transfers, they bring "immediate experience and both are "off to a good start."

More on Alabama WR transfer Javon Baker: "He's off to a really good start. We knew that. I recruited him at my old place. He's a very talented young man. He's off to a really good start. He's a guy we really feel can help us this year."

The theme this year is "Seize the Moment." He references the senior who are "team oriented" which is "important." They understand this is a big season being the last year in the AAC and propelling forward into the Big 12.

He feels they have two QBs they can win with. "Fall camp is when you develop your identity. Offensively, we've got potential but it's got to show on the game field."

What is UCF Football right now?

"I really feel like we're one of the programs on the rise. We talk about Seize the Moment. That's part of it. We've got to seize the moment on the field. Everything is set up in place in this program. We've got a program that's won big before. We're in Orlando. The best brands in the world are here. This is one of the best places to live in the world right now. The NIL and everything that goes with that, everything is set up. We've just got to win. Our guys understand that. As far as the program is concerned, you see the way we're recruiting and it's going to get nothing but better if we can take of our business on the field. That's why we're saying seize the moment. Our seniors understand that."

Gus said they have elected team captains, which will be announced next week. They did it earlier than usual because they have a lot of new guys.

Will Gus name a starting quarterback during camp?

"We'd like to name a starter. And you'd like to sooner rather than later so you can start getting the timing down between everyone. A lot of times too, your team knowing who that starting quarterback is, that's reallyimportant. But we're going to wait until that happens. My experience is, it's not a coach deciding. Usually your team knows. The good thing about it is we've got two guys who are in a great competition. Both of them are off to a good start. Both had a really good spring and summer. Both of them desperately want the job. That's a good thing as far as depth. We'd like to name one sooner than later."

Could he envision both playing QBs this season?

"I'm not ready to say that yet. I'm taking it one step at a time. We'd like to name a starter. We'll cross that bridge once that happens."

The first scrimmage on Sunday will be more run oriented. They need to figure out their LB situation. Big on evaluation for the new guys - transfers and freshmen, just to see who might be able to help. "Hopefully we'll learn a lot about our team so we can start putting the pieces together."

The concept of "team" is more important than ever before. If they're a close team that can eliminate distractions, that will be an advantage.

I asked about his opinion about unlimited transfers (which has been tabled for now), he sort of punted and said whatever the rules will be, they have to embrace it.

Thursday night they had some team bonding events planned.

He was asked about the Big 12 logo on his sleeve, but he said they won't be distracted. "We've got our hands full with this schedule. We've got some real teams. Our team understands that. I'm not worried about anybody looking ahead."

Gus said they would be "strategic" with their veteran guys, how much wear and tear they'll get in camp, but it's important to be game ready.

He knows they're going to get "everybody's best shot" this year.

S.J. Tuohy is his chief of staff and "right hand man." He's got a great relationship with players and coaches. They can relate to him. He understands NIL. He's good in recruiting too. "He's one of the rising stars in college football."

On team building, it's all about building relationships with the different position groups.

On his excitement level for the season, he "flips the switch" usually the "Friday before fall camp." He only needs four hours of sleep. He turns into a different person. He likes it and it feels good. "I'm so excited to be the head coach of these guys. I love everyone of them. We've got a special group of guys that we're blessed to be able to coach. It's kicked in and I'm full tilt right now."

Gus says "we've got one of the best fanbases in college football." Last year, the fans "willed us to win."

The "State of Orlando" is important for recruiting. Each coach has an area to recruit locally. Orlando's Hometown Team. They need to seize the moment.

I asked about future scheduling and whether Gus has a scheduling philosophy.

"Terry is the best. We communicate all the time about scheduling. We inherited a schedule. The challenge is we're going into a new conference and then you got what you got. Sometimes that's good, sometimes it's not. We've had trouble. We're trying to play some of the so-called big boys and some don't want to play. It's really a challenge. He's doing a great job within that. We communicate on a weekly basis on what that looks like in the future."

Gus was asked about playing "big schools" like "Jackson State and Grambling."

"We'll see. A lot of our schedule is already intact. We were thinking more along the lines of high-profile teams. We're going into a new conference. We're looking strategically at what is the best going foward."

Daunte Culpepper talked to the team the other night. He didn't know he was drafted by the New York Yankees out of high school. He turned down $250,000.

"I've always been a Daunte Culpepper fan. I know our staff is too. It was a really big deal. Not just for our players, but for our coaches too. He did a wonderful job just being real and talking about his time here. He's one of the guys. He's up on our wall. He's one of the top guys if not the most recognizable to ever play here. It was a really big moment. We're asking him to be one of our honorary captains and coaches during the season. We're hoping that happens."

How would Daunte have done in Gus' offense?

"I don't think there's an offense he wouldn't have done good in. He was unbelievable. He could create and make things happen. He could run it and throw it. I know at Auburn they still talk about when UCF came there and they barely won, how good he was."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News