ADVERTISEMENT

** HAMILTON ** on Disney+

DaShuckster

Diamond Knight
Nov 30, 2003
Beginning Friday, July 3, Disney+ will present a feature-length film presentation of Hamilton with the original cast on stage from a Broadway performance they made four years ago.

I'll confess, I'm a Hamilton fan-boy. I haven't seen it on Broadway but I have seen the traveling show twice, once in Las Vegas and once in Omaha and was literally blown away by it both times. I'm not a super Broadway theater person but I've probably seen a dozen or so shows on Broadway over the years and another dozen in traveling shows and, for me, Hamilton blew them all away by a country mile. It's not even close.

Although it won't be quite the same as watching a live performance, having a ringside seat to the play with the original Broadway cast is going to be a real treat this weekend. Seeing how amazing the play was with their traveling B-team, I can only imagine how incredible it will be with Leslie Oden, Daveed Biggs, Renee Goldsbury, Lin Manuel Miranda -- and especially Jonathan Groff as King George!

If you are an American history buff and/or like Broadway musicals, this is Must-Watch TV this weekend. The hype is real. If you don't have Disney+, this show, all by itself, is well-worth a one month subscription.

I'll be interested to hear what those of you who watch it think.
image.php

Last edited:
I'm excited to see it. I don't really watch Disney plus but got it free with my Verizon account.

I'm excited to see it. I don't really watch Disney plus but got it free with my Verizon account.
I'll be honest, the first time I saw it, I was in downtown Vegas playing poker and was able to pick up a single seat for a Saturday matinee (not your best time to see a play because they typically use a lot of the back-ups.)

Given all the hype surrounding the show, I admit I was curious -- but also skeptical -- about it. But I walked out of the theater a True Believer. The incredible songs and the youthful energy of the performances made you feel what it would have been like to have been a young person caught up in the rebellious spirit of the day. It also gave you a sense of how our crazy Federalists vs States Rights dichotomy first got started and still exists today.

My brief review of the Broadway musical, Hamilton, now on Disney+:

It was great. On TV you lose a little bit of the magic that comes from a live Broadway performance. But if you love American history and you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. I still find it fascinating how Miranda was able to use rap music to capture the essence of the heated debates about a strong centralized government that our early Founding Fathers had and make them entertaining for people to watch.

All the performances were outstanding. Watching it, it's pretty obvious to see why Leslie Odem Jr (Aaron Burr), Alise Goldsberry (Angelica Schyler), and Daaved Diggs (Thomas Jefferson) all won Tony Awards. But I was looking forward to -- and not disappointed by - Jonathan Geoff's performance of King George. IMHO, he steals the show. He was hilarious and his songs were all funny as hell (yet all of them are critical to telling the story.)

Thumb's up!

I have seen it a couple times now. Great show! I am sure there will be those who do not like the hip hop elements of it all, but they'd be in the vast minority.

I have seen it a couple times now. Great show! I am sure there will be those who do not like the hip hop elements of it all, but they'd be in the vast minority.
I heard an interesting factoid about the hip hop elements of the show. Hamilton was able to convey over four-times as much information using 'hip hop' lyrics than would have been the case with a traditional musical.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
I watched it this past weekend. Incredible show! I might watch it again this weekend! The music and live "special effects" were cool! I'm not a big musical person but I really enjoyed this one.

I heard an interesting factoid about the hip hop elements of the show. Hamilton was able to convey over four-times as much information using 'hip hop' lyrics than would have been the case with a traditional musical.

I got that. My mind was racing trying to catch up. I'm a student of US history, so I knew the background of most of the story. However, I watched it with someone who's people were on the losing side of that conflict and she struggled to catch up but loved the love story.

I got that. My mind was racing trying to catch up. I'm a student of US history, so I knew the background of most of the story. However, I watched it with someone who's people were on the losing side of that conflict and she struggled to catch up but loved the love story.
I wanted to see it because I'm a history buff and loved the way the play conveyed the youthful energy and passion of the Revolutionary War to modern audiences. But I'll admit the women in this musical knocked their songs out of the ballpark.

Renee Elise Goldsberry's 'Satisfied' is an absolute showstopper.

I wanted to see it because I'm a history buff and loved the way the play conveyed the youthful energy and passion of the Revolutionary War to modern audiences. But I'll admit the women in this musical knocked their songs out of the ballpark.

Renee Elise Goldsberry's 'Satisfied' is an absolute showstopper.
Agree! Her voice was so strong! I also enjoyed the other Schuyler sister Phillipa Soo's angelic voice. Those two put the 3rd Schuyler sister to shame.

ADVERTISEMENT