ADVERTISEMENT

Herbie on UCF "They Need to Be Taken More Seriously"

I wish he would have said something about 2013, but at least he mentioned the conference is better and UCF is deserving now, placing us with Boise, and more current-relevant.

And kudos to Herbie on admitting he was 'offended' after 2017, not that he was right or wrong, just 'offended.' He was honest and transparent.

I don’t know. I think he was genuinely impressed when he was here last year. He is warming up to us, and I think that’s a good thing. Especially after we got after him so relentlessly last year.

Like it or not, the guy has a national audience. Better for him to be saying what he did in that podcast than ignoring or ridiculing us.

nIrbEBU.jpg

HAzLKoR.jpg

giphy.gif

He’s just throwing us a bone to appease us, he doesn’t really believe in it.
I couldn't care either way. Whether we like it or not, Herbie's opinion matters. College Game Day is the most watch sports show in America. Him saying we belong in the Top 10 will make others believe as well.

Reactions: jared151
Now that ESPN has a long term contact with the AAC it's in their interest to promote UCF. During negotiations they probably wanted to downplay the conference for bargaining leverage. Unfortunately for them UCF TV numbers were great the last 2 years giving the AAC more leverage for a better contract. Your welcome fellow AAC beneficiaries. Herbie may have new marching orders now.

Last edited:
I don’t know. I think he was genuinely impressed when he was here last year. He is warming up to us, and I think that’s a good thing. Especially after we got after him so relentlessly last year.

Like it or not, the guy has a national audience. Better for him to be saying what he did in that podcast than ignoring or ridiculing us.

I agree that being here likely opened his eyes to UCF's talent. The sad thing is that it shouldn't take a professional analyst to come to a game in person to have his mind changed when we play 8x per year on his own network. If that's what it takes then the hundreds of other writers who cover the sport will never be convinced, unless they just parrot the ESPN talking points, which is likely what they do.

Conclusion: ESPN wields far too much influence in CFB and actively tips the scales in favor of the teams that advance their pecuniary interests.

I agree that being here likely opened his eyes to UCF's talent. The sad thing is that it shouldn't take a professional analyst to come to a game in person to have his mind changed when we play 8x per year on his own network. If that's what it takes then the hundreds of other writers who cover the sport will never be convinced, unless they just parrot the ESPN talking points, which is likely what they do.

Conclusion: ESPN wields far too much influence in CFB and actively tips the scales in favor of the teams that advance their pecuniary interests.
Well said.

Is Herps trying to tell us I wont beat you up if you give me your lunch money? Pfft. I think he's afraid we are going to steal his! Put him in his place!!! What a piece.

Again, these are Kirkstreits "feelings" which have nothing to do with the actual game. I don't care that he felt like it was 60-10, it wasn't. Deal with reality and facts.

I guess Herbie being from a traditional blueblood program. wants some winning longevity and isn’t impressed by one hit (season) wonders

I take it at face value. Maybe he’s a believer now

Reactions: LemmyKilmister
I couldn't care either way. Whether we like it or not, Herbie's opinion matters. College Game Day is the most watch sports show in America. Him saying we belong in the Top 10 will make others believe as well.

As you said........"Herbie's opinion matters" regardless of why all of a sudden he has had an epiphany. What he say's carries a lot of clout in college football circles, and as a master at continuously building our brand AD DW is very well aware of that.........

As you said........"Herbie's opinion matters" regardless of why all of a sudden he has had an epiphany. What he say's carries a lot of clout in college football circles, and as a master at continuously building our brand AD DW is very well aware of that.........

His opinion didn't matter when he was against us, it sure doesn't matter when he's for us.

Reactions: GoKnights2003

ESPN has almost always "run" the sport of College Football (TV contracts with every P5 Conf)...and now they OWN (bought) the CFP...and almost everything they do is to build up excitement toward the end. Heck, ESPN also owns most of the (now mostly meaningless) bowl games too.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Disney execs telling select ESPN analysts to lighten up with the new UCF deal in place?

11 months ago...after UCF won their upteenth game in a row, Herbie said this:

“You need to play somebody in order to be rewarded. UCF, you need to not just be worried about being undefeated and trying to get in the top four, you need to look behind you at teams like Utah State, Appalachian State, Fresno State. These teams, on paper — which is what you want to look at a lot of times — are better than UCF and more deserving than UCF.”

Certainly can't hurt....or at least 'Hey, stop SH-TTING on a program that just goes out there and WINS! What else do you want them to do?"

His opinion didn't matter when he was against us, it sure doesn't matter when he's for us.
His opinion didn't matter? Oh yeah, I forgot how well we were treated in the polls the last couple of years. Not saying this will make all the difference in the polls, but it'll definitely help.

Reactions: JAFFX2
Actually, if you listen to his disclosure, we need fans like him, ones that are open, transparent and admit where they came from and why they changed. He even admitted that he was against UCF after 2017 because of the NC declaration, and now he realizes maybe he shouldn't have been. He say what we did, and how he reacted, wasn't right or wrong either, and that people need to stop being against UCF for it, just like he has now done.

Disney execs telling select ESPN analysts to lighten up with the new UCF deal in place?
I’m not in on Production meetings but I’m willing to bet no. They pay him to give his opinion. He isn’t a new guy. A lot of the guys who were against us changed minds once they came here last season. A little of watching us in person but a lot of talking to our coaches and Athletic Department Personnel. It’s harder to badmouth someone you’ve met and liked than someone you’ve never met.

Most of this is purely because we’ve been doing it for three seasons now. Being good more than one year matters. Even though they say it’s a one year poll/rankings, it’s not. That’s why the blue bloods get the benefit of the doubt in the rankings. We’re being thought of better because we’ve been on their radar longer and it’s now safer for national guys to pimp us.

“You need to play somebody in order to be rewarded. UCF, you need to not just be worried about being undefeated and trying to get in the top four, you need to look behind you at teams like Utah State, Appalachian State, Fresno State. These teams, on paper — which is what you want to look at a lot of times — are better than UCF and more deserving than UCF.”

Certainly can't hurt....or at least 'Hey, stop SH-TTING on a program that just goes out there and WINS! What else do you want them to do?"
Maybe he thinks that Stanford is a quality program and we dismantled them

Nothing wrong with that

Reactions: JAFFX2

You forgot his weird emphasis on STATE

Hold please, I have to look up "pecuniary."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT