ADVERTISEMENT

Heup

For all the transfer scare we had once Frost left, we literally only lost Vedral officially. Worst case scenario would only be Vedral, J Ham and C Rich? That's honestly not bad at all.

Idk if it was Heup or Shannon or Danny, but great job keeping the team intact after losing the ENTIRE coaching staff.

That's what Knights do; we keep looking forward and Charge On! :)

Richardson did not transfer so he is still on the team.

Hamilton I think is also still on the team but suspended for something that occurred under Frost?

Reactions: Mikesi
For all the transfer scare we had once Frost left, we literally only lost Vedral officially. Worst case scenario would only be Vedral, J Ham and C Rich? That's honestly not bad at all.

Idk if it was Heup or Shannon or Danny, but great job keeping the team intact after losing the ENTIRE coaching staff.
We have to remember transferring isn't as easy as saying I want to transfer and it all being done. They have to have a schools interested, they have to get approval from UCF, they have their life established here, they have friends and possible family here, they have class schedule set up, they are familiar with the college and the teachers. Life doesn't revolve around just football. Plus on the football side of it they would have to sit out a year. Much simpler to stay put for most kids when coaching changes happen.

This is why I didn't get upset at how it went down and the transition.

Frost warned DW, DW got Heup within days, there was a lot of chaffing, but it all worked out. That's what happens when everyone sincerely cares about the program.

Handily winning the Peach Bowl also helped too.

Frost warned DW, DW got Heup within days, there was a lot of chaffing, but it all worked out.
Meh. Maybe so, but there was definitely a douchebag period with Verdesco and Chinander checking out, gutting of the staff, possibly hidden BS with computer files, and stealing of recruits. Heupel was basically the only man on the staff for a very nerve racking period and we can thank DD and it’s coffee for saving the early transition period. Haha. He must have worked 24/7 for awhile during the holidays.

Yes, the staff came back for the Peach Bowl and coached well. I’ll give them that.

Reactions: ProAttitude
The previous staff's biggest issue with the transition was they didn't 100% live up to the pedestal we had put them on. They did a lot of things most staffs do when they leave and some of those things are less than perfect.

Meh. Maybe so, but there was definitely a douchebag period with Verdesco and Chinander checking out, gutting of the staff, possibly hidden BS with computer files, and stealing of recruits. Heupel was basically the only man on the staff for a very nerve racking period and we can thank DD and it’s coffee for saving the early transition period. Haha. He must have worked 24/7 for awhile during the holidays.

Yes, the staff came back for the Peach Bowl and coached well. I’ll give them that.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Flem3000 and Mikesi
It should not be surprising that some will be skeptical when the coaching staff is saying what everyone wants to hear. Doesn't imply they are hiding anything, but its always in their best interest to sell themselves along with the school. For the most part the GOL coaching attitude is retired, at least for younger coaches looking to establish themselves.

Let's see the fieldmanship of the coaches on game day :)

Seriously, my biggest concern is how the games will be run from the sidelines by the coaches. I believe our team still has tremendous talent. I remember SF his first season and many of us kinda shake our heads at some of his decisions. By the second season he had become less of a gunslinger and we had gotten use to his decisions being a lot different than GOL.

Last edited:
Let's see the fieldmanship of the coaches on game day :)

Seriously, my biggest concern is how the games will be run from the sidelines by the coaches. I believe our team still has tremendous talent. I remember SF his first season and many of us kinda shook our heads at some of his decisions. By the second season he had become less of a gunslinger and we had gotten use to his decisions being a lot different than GOL.
He made a lot of suspect decisions. Even more yar 1 because the offense was terrible. Couple clock management issues and not putting in a big back on 3rd and 4th and 1.

Reactions: Mikesi
The previous staff's biggest issue with the transition was they didn't 100% live up to the pedestal they had put themselves on. They did a lot of things most staffs do when they leave and some of those things are less than perfect.

FIFY (just my opinion but the only opinions that really matter are the players)

He made a lot of suspect decisions. Even more yar 1 because the offense was terrible. Couple clock management issues and not putting in a big back on 3rd and 4th and 1.
I'm working on something right now and this one of the things I was curious about especially seeing a lot of people question why Richardson wasn't getting the ball in short yardage. Truth is, he just wasn't very good last year. I still have the ECU, Navy, and UConn games to go through and am not looking at AP and FIU, but in the other games, he had 12 meaningful carries (Milton at QB), 9 of them were not successful. He had back to back carries against memphis in the 1st meetings 4th quarter that went for 9 and 10 yards. His other 10 carries, he ran for -3 yards combined before contact and 7 yards combined after contact to account for 4 total yards on 10 carries. That's pretty bad.

McGowan on the other had 6 carries with 2 yards or less to get a TD or 1D and was successful on 4 of them, one of the unsuccessful carries was on a 3rd and 2 which he was able to convert the 4th and 1 the play later so he was 80% on his attempts which is really good IMO. Looking at this makes me wonder why he wasn't used later in the year in short yardage.

Richardson, I even questioned why he was nonexistent late in the season, but looking at the numbers it is pretty obvious. I think he tried to run east and west a lot more instead of north and south and trusting his power and taking what he could get. I'm hoping he can turn it around this year and hopefully see McGowan get more work in short yardage because he showed he can be successful.

Last season our pass blocking was outstanding but running holes were NOT held open long enough for backs like Richardson to pop through. This would cause Richardson to run sideways and get tackled in the backfield.

I hope this season the holes stay open longer and Richardson picks up a step as he hits the hole. Sounds like the type of training they did this off season would help him in that aspect.

We had no choice but to go with smaller backs that could hit the hole quickly and hide behind the blockers.

Even McGowan who hits the hole fairly quick wasn't being given much to work with.

Reactions: knightraveler
I think Heup is a pretty smart guy. He seems to have a lot of football experience going way back. While he may be telling people what they want to hear I don't think he is the kind of guy to come in and change something for the sake of change. Shannon...maybe. But he too seems pretty laid back at UCF. We will know pretty quickly if Frost was such a great coach or if he just got lucky in getting a special team in a "special place".

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Richardson wasn't running strong through the holes, he ran TO the holes and then basically fell over. I think confidence will help him run through the hole. He should be trucking DBs and standing up LBs who are in his way. The other need he needs moved is the DLs.

I think Heup is a pretty smart guy. He seems to have a lot of football experience going way back. While he may be telling people what they want to hear I don't think he is the kind of guy to come in and change something for the sake of change. Shannon...maybe. But he too seems pretty laid back at UCF. We will know pretty quickly if Frost was such a great coach or if he just got lucky in getting a special team in a "special place".
I understand the Shannon package bc of the concerns about Recruiting but he concerns me the most. I just have the worry of his ego causing issues with the other Coaches considering his past as a Head Coach.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
I understand the Shannon package bc of the concerns about Recruiting but he concerns me the most. I just have the worry of his ego causing issues with the other Coaches considering his past as a Head Coach.

Me too. Reminds me of the Muschamp/Weis situation at Florida. RS just seems too relaxed.

I think he would of had plenty of time at UF being the DC to check his ego.

UCF LB Titus Davis confirms that Heupal’s offense is EVEN FASTER than Frost’s. @NGSCSports #UCFProDay @RockyManfreda @StatBoyDrew

Does this mean we won’t be staring at sideline after every play waiting for a play call. That irked me. The point of a hurry up is to get defense tired.

ADVERTISEMENT