ADVERTISEMENT

Heupel Defenders

Stevieknight

Five-Star Recruit
Nov 13, 2011
Serious question (not trolling here) for those that think Heupel is still the right guy for our program - what is it that you are seeing that gives you that optimism?

I disagree with many on DG, I think he will be an absolute stud assuming he continues to develop. He’s inconsistent but so are almost all true freshman QBs. So I’ll give Heupel credit for bringing him in here and beginning to develop him.

What else? Aside from DG all I’m seeing are signs of continued regression all around (OL, lack of development in defensive playmakers, misuse of many offensive weapons, limited offensive play calling adjustments. lack of discipline, etc ), and like many I’m concerned about it, so help me become more optimistic. Looking for specifics here, not just “the guy needs more time”.

His fate will be tied to how he develops the QB position like most coaches, so you're correct to point out a lot of his fate is tied up in how much he's investing in DG. Part of that is building the O-line to compliment the QB which the staff has made a recruiting priority.

I thought I saw really good adjustments AFTER the Cincy loss (would have been nice to see these done in-game at Cincy) that led to improvement @Temple and against Houston. Stuff like incorporating Marlon Williams, substituting in DJ Mack for a red zone wildcat package, working with DG to have confidence pulling the ball back and scrambling. The staff made all those changes and they worked and then they seemed to totally abandon them in a disaster @Tulsa. They'll either learn from it and adjust again or they'll perish.

Serious question (not trolling here) for those that think Heupel is still the right guy for our program - what is it that you are seeing that gives you that optimism?

I disagree with many on DG, I think he will be an absolute stud assuming he continues to develop. He’s inconsistent but so are almost all true freshman QBs. So I’ll give Heupel credit for bringing him in here and beginning to develop him.

What else? Aside from DG all I’m seeing are signs of continued regression all around .
Milton is the only reason DG is here. Heup struck out on every other QB target before him. The TV announcers have explained this in several games that it was KZ bringing them stats and tape on him every week trying to convince them to offer him. No way they hold off USC without KZ.

Milton is the only reason DG is here. Heup struck out on every other QB target before him. The TV announcers have explained this in several games that it was KZ bringing them stats and tape on him every week trying to convince them to offer him. No way they hold off USC without KZ.

Completely agree. If we lose KZ we go back to mediocrity. He needs to be groomed to be our next HC. QB coach to OC to HC we should not let him walk within counter offering.

Reactions: GoKnights2003
Completely agree. If we lose KZ we go back to mediocrity. He needs to be groomed to be our next HC. QB coach to OC to HC we should not let him walk within counter offering.

KZ may have the most powerful influence as a Player in Program history. Players love him , rivals respect him, and he is an asset in recruiting. I bet if he walks into Danny White’s office his word has plenty of sway

I think the jury's still out on if he's the right guy for the program. I will say that his 19-4 record as head coach of this team is a damn good start and anyone that is convinced that he's not the right guy for this program is out of their damn minds.
Well.,, sounds like you’re one of the only person that’s in his or her right mind. That 19-4 argument is so sugarcoated and flawed, that nobody is buying that anymore

Love all these coaches in training making 2-5 million. I wish my job was so cush and with such low expectations

They're like CEO's of large corporations. When they screw everything up they can even make more money on a buyout. This is surely not how it works for the regular working class. Once you get to a certain level the money rolls in no matter if you deserve it or not.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
I think the jury's still out on if he's the right guy for the program. I will say that his 19-4 record as head coach of this team is a damn good start and anyone that is convinced that he's not the right guy for this program at this point is out of their damn minds.
I agree with this. It's too early to tell. Once KZ went down, we knew we were in for a tough bowl game and a rebuilding year. After the Stanford game we let our expectations soar and expected another season of playoff talk and Bama-style reloading.

Is Heupel perfect? Obviously not. But the idea that some Frost clone is going to be easy to find is ludicrous, especially when Frost is no longer Frost.

I predicted this year would be rough with a frosh QB (especially considering how hard we leaned on KZ to get us out of every jam), I think next year will be similar with a slight sophomore slump. I'm not going to panic unless we're on track for 5 losses in the next couple years.

Wrong guy:

1) need a HEAD coach focused on managing everyone

2) hire an offensive coordinator who can devote 100% of their time designing creative plays and adjusting to the defensive scheme

3A) need a coach who knows how to utilize the talent. Running 165lb backs up the middle is obviously in-effective and getting people hurt.

B) use speed advantage to the outside or crossing routes over the middle. In love the tight end vs linebacker advantage

4) CANT be stubborn and unwilling to adjust when things aren’t working.

Well.,, sounds like you’re one of the only person that’s in his or her right mind. That 19-4 argument is so sugarcoated and flawed, that nobody is buying that anymore
Hey as long as Danny White's in his right mind like me. That's all that matters. If the folks on this board think firing Heupel is even remotely close to being on the board for Danny White then you cant be helped. Man losing really brings out the stupid on this board.

Hey as long as Danny White's in his right mind like me. That's all that matters. If the folks on this board think firing Heupel is even remotely close to being on the board for Danny White then you cant be helped. Man losing really brings out the stupid on this board.
Losing doesn’t bring out stupid. It brings out reality. If you think that DW is going to tolerate last nights embarrassment, then you obviously don’t know him and haven’t followed his career

How many times -- particularly recently -- have we heard college football journalists, pundits, and fans discuss that "you see the direction of your program under a new coach in year two" and "year two is the most significant year in the transition of a program between coaches"?

Oh, is that only a one-way argument?

The 12-0 start was great, of course. "Year 2" is 7-3 (or 7-4) with a loss to a previously 2-7 team. That is not a good "Year 2" vector.

What else? Aside from DG all I’m seeing are signs of continued regression all around (OL, lack of development in defensive playmakers, misuse of many offensive weapons, limited offensive play calling adjustments. lack of discipline, etc ), and like many I’m concerned about it, so help me become more optimistic. Looking for specifics here, not just “the guy needs more time”.
We regressed because we graduated like 19-20 guys from our 2018 2-deep, with the majority being starters...none more important than the QB position, which was playing at a heisman-level.

A lot of new people on the 2-deep need experience and are getting it. Right now we are only slated to lose 10 players on the 2-deep.

Reactions: KnightVision82
Losing doesn’t bring out stupid. It brings out reality. If you think that DW is going to tolerate last nights embarrassment, then you obviously don’t know him and haven’t followed his career
0% chance Heupel's fired not only this year, but next year as well. Feel free to bookmark this quote as you wait with bated breath for it to happen.

Wrong guy:

1) need a HEAD coach focused on managing everyone

2) hire an offensive coordinator who can devote 100% of their time designing creative plays and adjusting to the defensive scheme

3A) need a coach who knows how to utilize the talent. Running 165lb backs up the middle is obviously in-effective and getting people hurt.

B) use speed advantage to the outside or crossing routes over the middle. In love the tight end vs linebacker advantage

4) CANT be stubborn and unwilling to adjust when things aren’t working.

Replace assistants; bring in former UCF coach Mike Kruczek to as qb coach/offensive coordinator. Replace Randy Shannon with someone else with a strong track record as a defensive coordinator.

0% chance Heupel's fired not only this year, but next year as well. Feel free to bookmark this quote as you wait with bated breath for it to happen.
Obviously, you must be happy with mediocrity in your life, but once the donations slow, empty seats increase, and season ticket sales fall, you he will see the light. Since, you have nothing invested like he does, I don’t expect you to understand

Hmmmm. Why has he been so quiet? Because he’s embarrassed. What AD likes to be embarrassed?

This @Colonel Mortimer character thinks losing last night is no big deal
I'm with him. I said at the start of the season that we were going to lose some games because rebuilding/freshman QB.

And I'm surprised you of all people are saying that losing brings out reality, when you're one of the first to call out the trolls and morons that emerge anytime anything bad happens.

especially with his aggressive season ticket price increase(Power 5 Conference schedule prices)when we don’t have many good OOC names on the future schedule. I do not think he was counting on a potential 8-4 season with a G5 easy schedule with the continued fundraising push, fans will question the trajectory.

Reactions: Yaes and Ucfmikes
It just amazes me how people can watch that game last night and be completely oblivious to everything that went wrong. Take off the freaking black and gold glasses.

I watched the game with a friend who was completely unbiased and he pointed out a ton of things wrong with that game

I was as upset as any one of you I assure you. Being upset doesnt make me lose perspective. I've said what I need to say, we can revisit this in a couple years and see who looks like an asshole.
Who cares about a couple of years? You think this guy is all of a sudden going to become an excellent coach after what you have seen or will DG progress and bail him out? He’s not exactly been killing it in recruiting either

especially with his aggressive season ticket price increase(Power 5 Conference schedule prices)when we don’t have many good OOC names on the future schedule. I do not think he was counting on a potential 8-4 season with a G5 easy schedule with the continued fundraising push, fans will question the trajectory.
My tickets have increased 33% for next year

Saying Heup won't be fired within two years (from now) is a different matter from whether Heup should be fired (for the good of the program) within two years.

Let's see what Heup brings us vs Tulane, USF, and bowl. I think one more egg is still coming.

The first thing I said in this thread is the jury is still out on Heupel. What a ringing endorsement. I'm just calling out the ignorance of thinking there's even a possibility that Heupel is going to (or should) be fired after one 9 or 10 win season.

Reactions: UCF_SystemsEng
From the outside looking in, it's too early to pass judgement completely on CJH but he's trending downward. The Cinci loss is irrelevant because that's a pretty good team and you can't win every game. The Pitt loss is excusable, but there were signs that CJH can be outcoached and be too stubborn to adjust. This one though, is totally inexcusable. I realize that there is more parity in college football than ever before, but UCF has far more talent than Tulsa. At worst, it should have been a close win. In my experience watching college football, you can tell if problems are mostly personnel related and that isn't the case here. I said before the season that we would learn a lot about Heupel after the first loss because these players havent experienced much adversity over the last 2 years. A great coach keeps a team focused, and if that doesn't happen then 1 loss becomes 2, and so on. Heupel, thus far, has not proven capable of doing that.

It just amazes me how people can watch that game last night and be completely oblivious to everything that went wrong. Take off the freaking black and gold glasses.

I watched the game with a friend who was completely unbiased and he pointed out a ton of things wrong with that game
No one is saying last night was a master class in football. What we are saying is put it in perspective. We're not that far away from GOL's good year/bad year rhythm, 0-12, Frost underwhelming, and the fact that we are still a G5 team. I don't know when we got too good for down years and this one would be considered a good one historically.

I'm with him. I said at the start of the season that we were going to lose some games because rebuilding/freshman QB.

And I'm surprised you of all people are saying that losing brings out reality, when you're one of the first to call out the trolls and morons that emerge anytime anything bad happens.

Your logic is beyond flawed......if we lost solely because our freshman QB made too many rookie mistakes your point would be valid. The entire team played like dog crap, our O line with 5 returning that should have been a strength this year was completely overmatched by a 3 man rush yet again and our coaching staff once again did absolutely nothing to adjust......Sorry but CJH and staff were out coached each and every time we lost this year..........

Your logic is beyond flawed......if we lost solely because our freshman QB made too many rookie mistakes your point would be valid. The entire team played like dog crap, our O line with 5 returning that should have been a strength this year was completely overmatched by a 3 man rush yet again and our coaching staff once again did absolutely nothing to adjust......Sorry but CJH and staff were out coached each and every time we lost this year..........

It's a little bit concerning that all a defense has to do is play a lot of nickel packages and CJHs offense stops working.

ADVERTISEMENT