ADVERTISEMENT

Heupel Defenders

Your logic is beyond flawed......if we lost solely because our freshman QB made too many rookie mistakes your point would be valid. The entire team played like dog crap, our O line with 5 returning that should have been a strength this year was completely overmatched by a 3 man rush yet again and our coaching staff once again did absolutely nothing to adjust......Sorry but CJH and staff were out coached each and every time we lost this year..........
The OLine with the most 1st team All Conference Players got beat by a 3 man rush by the Tulsa Crimson Tide , embarrassing

Jake Brown is Charmin Soft

Your logic is beyond flawed......if we lost solely because our freshman QB made too many rookie mistakes your point would be valid. The entire team played like dog crap, our O line with 5 returning that should have been a strength this year was completely overmatched by a 3 man rush yet again and our coaching staff once again did absolutely nothing to adjust......Sorry but CJH and staff were out coached each and every time we lost this year..........
I'm not sure which part you're trying to refute here. We've had many close calls over the past couple years, it wouldn't take much difference in QB play to see different results. Are you saying that we couldn't possibly be rebuilding because our oline got awards last season?

I'm ok hanging on to my beyond flawed logic for the time being.

I go back and forth. He's using players that were recruited for an option offense and they don't completely fit. The RBs are too small for what he does and the OL Is just not there right now. They have problems picking out where the rush is coming from. DG with a clean pocket and a working run game is different than what we saw last night. To me it all depends on how the OL is creating holes and pass blocking.

I go back and forth. He's using players that were recruited for an option offense and they don't completely fit. The RBs are too small for what he does and the OL Is just not there right now. They have problems picking out where the rush is coming from. DG with a clean pocket and a working run game is different than what we saw last night. To me it all depends on how the OL is creating holes and pass blocking.

That's all fine and dandy, but the question is whether or not this offense will work even when/if CJH gets "his" guys.

The first thing I said in this thread is the jury is still out on Heupel. What a ringing endorsement. I'm just calling out the ignorance of thinking there's even a possibility that Heupel is going to (or should) be fired after one 9 or 10 win season.
There is also that big buyout to consider? Does UCF have that kind of cash?

and if it even fits the strengths of a Program that is located in the middle of Florida with undersized speed, especially in our current conference

I think you nailed it. You guys can thrive on smaller/faster players, especially on defense but for this offense to work he's going to need big bodied receivers who can fly, and those kinds of kids are going to P5 schools.

That's all fine and dandy, but the question is whether or not this offense will work even when/if CJH gets "his" guys.
It will work if the offensive line is solid and can pick up where the rush is coming from. The three man rush worked to get massive holes for LBs to get through. OL didn't stay in position, and also got beat outright by three men a few times. If the RBs got 4-5 a carry, Tulsa has to bring in another DL and put more men in the box. Then the pass is open. To me, the quick fix for yesterday, Cincy and Pitt was Mack attack 9n the ground.

I like DG but CJHs decision to give him the team this soon was a big mistake. Mack and Wimbush should have been running this team regardless. We need a QB who knows how to bail from the pocket when our OL is collapsing.

I'm not saying playing DG was a bad idea, but we also have so much talent being wasted. And you say but DG can deliver the ball! I would respond part of it is that he has talent around him. What will happen when Davis, Williams and Nixon are gone? You risk putting DG in a position to fail later on.

DG should have been part of the new movement once Wimbush, KZ and Mack's years transitioned over. I would have accepted the growing pains then.
For everyone from the 2017 year, it has to be heartbreaking. This group deserves better. If CJH leaves for a big contract I wouldn't be upset.

Well.,, sounds like you’re one of the only person that’s in his or her right mind. That 19-4 argument is so sugarcoated and flawed, that nobody is buying that anymore
I think he just likes talking to himself mostly.

Who cares about a couple of years? You think this guy is all of a sudden going to become an excellent coach after what you have seen or will DG progress and bail him out? He’s not exactly been killing it in recruiting either
According to this logic, Frost sucks as a coach as well and Milton just pasted over all his deficiencies. No Milton at Nebraska and they suck. So, instead of worrying about this and that when we lose, what everybody should be looking at is how staffs develop QBs. They make coaches look better than they are, and coaches look bad if they can’t develop the QB position.

Bill Belicheck had one season in like 16 years where Brady is hurt and they have to play another guy. Result....no playoffs. While coaching Cleveland....average at best. So is Belicheck really that good or does Brady just paste over all his deficiencies?

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
I'm not sure which part you're trying to refute here. We've had many close calls over the past couple years, it wouldn't take much difference in QB play to see different results. Are you saying that we couldn't possibly be rebuilding because our oline got awards last season?

I'm ok hanging on to my beyond flawed logic for the time being.

The part I am refuting.....not trying.......

This @Colonel Mortimer character thinks losing last night is no big deal
Your response.......
I'm with him. I said at the start of the season that we were going to lose some games because rebuilding/freshman QB.

The losing goes way beyond your claim of a FR QB..........the OL was outmatched and CJH was out coached.......and NOOOO, despite what you think and said, losing last night is a very big deal.......

Look, all the this and that, we should do this, we should do that, its baffling that we are even asking ourselves. I admit I have not been a big fan of JH thus far, but stopped short of saying I want him fired. That changed last night. Leaving DG in there last night was not only stupid, but reckless. And it was not the only dumb thing I've seen, but yeah that was enough for me.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
According to this logic, Frost sucks as a coach as well and Milton just pasted over all his deficiencies. No Milton at Nebraska and they suck. So, instead of worrying about this and that when we lose, what everybody should be looking at is how staffs develop QBs. They make coaches look better than they are, and coaches look bad if they can’t develop the QB position.

Bill Belicheck had one season in like 16 years where Brady is hurt and they have to play another guy. Result....no playoffs. While coaching Cleveland....average at best. So is Belicheck really that good or does Brady just paste over all his deficiencies?
You are way overthinking this and making it more complicated than it needs to be. Frost has nothing to do with this

CJH has a lot of deficiencies and is being outcoached

A great QB will make up for his mistakes. He’s been mediocre at best without KZ

DG makes a few more plays and we are undefeated. We still have the penalties, dropped kicks, poor offensive line play, etc being covered up

You’re right. It’s definitely a gimmick offense. At Mizzou they had two top 15 offenses, in 2018 they were ranked around #5 and in 2019 we are currently ranked #3.

You are way overthinking this and making it more complicated than it needs to be. Frost has nothing to do with this

CJH has a lot of deficiencies and is being outcoached

A great QB will make up for his mistakes. He’s been mediocre at best without KZ

DG makes a few more plays and we are undefeated. We still have the penalties, dropped kicks, poor offensive line play, etc being covered up

A teams record doesn't always paint a clear picture. UCF, even with 3 or 4 plays going differently would not be an elite team even if that meant an undefeated record. Hell, my Huskers are 3 plays away from being 7-2 but that wouldn't mean they look like a division title contender.

You’re right. It’s definitely a gimmick offense. At Mizzou they had two top 15 offenses, in 2018 they were ranked around #5 and in 2019 we are currently ranked #3.
It's not a gimmick offense, it's an offense that defensive coordinators figured out how to defend in 1996 and has become antiquated since then. Sure, if you get elite players it will work but that can be said of the veer or any other offense. All CJH has to do is find the next Randy Moss, emmitt smith, and Andre Ware and you guys will be set.

Reactions: clmssun
They fired a Coach after a 8-5 season that led to the Tom Herman hiring. That Coach is now managing a Chik Fil a.
Not entirely true. They fired him after 3 seasons in which he lost 5 games twice and 7 his first year after a 13-1 season the year before. Holgorson already lost 6 and no one wants him fired. If we get 5 losses every year JH needs to go. Have to at least give him another season though.

A teams record doesn't always paint a clear picture. UCF, even with 3 or 4 plays going differently would not be an elite team even if that meant an undefeated record. Hell, my Huskers are 3 plays away from being 7-2 but that wouldn't mean they look like a division title contender.
I agree with you. If we were 10-0 with a few more good plays by the QB and it would be blasphemy to criticize a 10-0 team

The QB play would be creating a mirage and making the coach look good. Real knowledgeable fans know better

However, since we have 3 losses and one to Tulsa, hiding or explaining Heupel’s shortcomings won’t be necessary

It's not a gimmick offense, it's an offense that defensive coordinators figured out how to defend in 1996 and has become antiquated since then. Sure, if you get elite players it will work but that can be said of the veer or any other offense. All CJH has to do is find the next Randy Moss, emmitt smith, and Andre Ware and you guys will be set.
and it seems like Texas and up through Oklahoma natives are obsessed with it, think a lot of Texas HS run it too. Florida HS and Georgia run more Run Spread Options

He can run two plays at DD, run the coffee to you up the middle or toss it 60 yards at you
Headline for a newspaper somewhere in Oklahoma next year reads
"JH burns more customers! Local donut shop forced to close."

The OLine with the most 1st team All Conference Players got beat by a 3 man rush by the Tulsa Crimson Tide , embarrassing

Jake Brown is Charmin Soft

I agree. I'm not as concerned with freshman QB making freshman mistakes as I am about how soft our O and D lines are. Their QB had ALL DAY to throw, while ours was flushed out, sacked, hurried, etc. a LOT.

The part I am refuting.....not trying.......

Your response.......

The losing goes way beyond your claim of a FR QB..........the OL was outmatched and CJH was out coached.......and NOOOO, despite what you think and said, losing last night is a very big deal.......
I'm not claiming that all problems are due to a freshman QB. I have clearly mentioned that we are rebuilding several times in this thread. But feel free to build a straw man if it makes you feel better.

You can also feel free to lose your shit over one game. You'll find plenty of friends on this board that way.

You seem to be completely convinced you're right and I'm ok agreeing to disagree. But I would encourage you not to mistake emotional opinions for facts.

Don't forget there are people who want Tulsa kicked out of the conference. I don't totally disagree for more reasons than football, but we've lost all room to talk since every time we walk on their field we catch a L.

I agree with you. If we were 10-0 with a few more good plays by the QB and it would be blasphemy to criticize a 10-0 team

The QB play would be creating a mirage and making the coach look good. Real knowledgeable fans know better

However, since we have 3 losses and one to Tulsa, hiding or explaining Heupel’s shortcomings won’t be necessary

Without MM last year, UCF probably would have had 3 or 4 losses. He's a once in a generation player that can cover up a lot of deficiencies.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Don't forget there are people who want Tulsa kicked out of the conference. I don't totally disagree for more reasons than football, but we've lost all room to talk since every time we walk on their field we catch a L.
losing to them doesn't change my opinion that it's embarrassing to have them in the Conference, there were High School games 20 minutes from that stadium with better crowds

Without MM last year, UCF probably would have had 3 or 4 losses. He's a once in a generation player that can cover up a lot of deficiencies.
Wimbush and Mack could have done the same. Mack did so last year in limited time. Wimbush's ability to run would've bailed out a failing OL. I think we would have returned to an NY6 bowl (and probably lose) if we didn't start over.

Wimbush and Mack could have done the same. Mack did so last year in limited time. Wimbush's ability to run would've bailed out a failing OL. I think we would have returned to an NY6 bowl (and probably lose) if we didn't start over.
Problem is, despite opportunities in my opinion, he’s just not using them enough. So. we have no idea

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT