ADVERTISEMENT

Heupel's UCF contract includes high buyout, innovative provisions

-The staff salary pool will be $2.5 million

What was it last year? Has that increased significantly? Where is the excellence fund being used?

Should this really be posted outside the Dungeon?

The buyout provision changes to 50% of contract if Danny White is no longer the AD? That is an interesting provision.
White won't be here by the time that contract is up. The dude is damn good and people will notice. If we have him this time next year, I'll be happy.

So roughly the first two years base salary are paid by Frosts buy out....
UCF has money now

If Frost was here, we would have Frost, but no buyout and a big salary increase for him and the assistants. A several million dollar swing

I think to stop the AAC coach plundering more schools in the conference need to implement a high buyout before the bowl clause. It's such a good way to approach the problem because if a school really wants to take the coach they either have to put up the big bucks or risk waiting until after early signing period is in full swing and risk losing recruits.

That makes me wonder what provisions are in Mike Norvells contract at Memphis.

I think to stop the AAC coach plundering more schools in the conference need to implement a high buyout before the bowl clause. It's such a good way to approach the problem because if a school really wants to take the coach they either have to put up the big bucks or risk waiting until after early signing period is in full swing and risk losing recruits.

His incentives make it really attractive to stay and do well and keep the good of the program as far as growth in mind. With incentives, total pay would make him a top 10 paid coach.

I like the connection with marketing, like season tickets. I think after O'Leary left we made some major steps with social media and video quality that helps hype up the fanbase. I'm guessing he wants to ensure any coach will keep that up.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs

Yep. And if your coach sucks, you won't make it the bowl. Great idea.

https://ucf.rivals.com/news/heupel-s-ucf-contract-includes-high-buyout-innovative-provisions

Surprised his salary is under 2 million, but lots of incentives, thoughts?

It wasn't long ago that $2m was a top paid coach. Hell, Bob Stoops was the first to cross The $3m (adj for inflation). Not 25 years ago. 11 years ago.

We can't play this arms race, and win.

I've said LOUDLY for years, what we can't offer in pay, we can offer in job security. This is exactly what we have done with this contract.

When I started out in Investment Banking, 75%+ of the total compensation package for top level people's pay was their bonus. Some years they would get ZERO bonus.

If I had it my way, we would pay our coach $500k base with $1.5m of potential incentives. That is how the real world works.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT