ADVERTISEMENT

Honest question

Crazyhole

Todd's Tiki Bar
Jun 4, 2004
The entire democrat field, which is essentially the most powerful people in the democrat party, wants to eliminate the electoral college and go to a popular vote. Why haven't these people thrown their weight around and made the democrat primary a popular vote? There are no constitutional restrictions to do so, so what's the problem?

Reactions: UCFWayne
The entire democrat field, which is essentially the most powerful people in the democrat party, wants to eliminate the electoral college and go to a popular vote. Why haven't these people thrown their weight around and made the democrat primary a popular vote? There are no constitutional restrictions to do so, so what's the problem?
Oh come on. Donna Brazile said their process was democracy. You’re just another Republican trying to butt in on the Democrat’s primaries.

Wow, great thread.
Do you have an opinion on the topic? It just seems funny that the democrats are still using proportional ballots while the Republicans are generally using winner-take-all but it's the Democrats that are screaming for a national popular vote.

Do you have an opinion on the topic? It just seems funny that the democrats are still using proportional ballots while the Republicans are generally using winner-take-all but it's the Democrats that are screaming for a national popular vote.
What you are saying makes no sense. Winner take all is the opposite of popular vote. Proportional is closer to popular vote. We have states that use caucus to determine so how could we used a direct popular vote?

What you are saying makes no sense. Winner take all is the opposite of popular vote. Proportional is closer to popular vote. We have states that use caucus to determine so how could we used a direct popular vote?
What are you talking about? Popular vote is winner takes all. There are no delegates in popular vote. There are no states. You just add up all the votes nationwide and the top vote-getter wins all.

Herpu durp? Derpy derp.

Winner take all is exactly what a popular vote is.

lol at chicken for not knowing the exact thing he has called for in the past. probably shouldve gone to bed earlier.

-Each state runs their own system.
-Delegates are awarded proportionally instead of winner take all like in the Electoral college and Republican Party.

-Each state runs their own system.
-Delegates are awarded proportionally instead of winner take all like in the Electoral college and Republican Party.

Yep. They have a system that is pretty comparable to the EC, which they hate

No it's not, Jesus, is this the level of comprehension I interact with on here?

The EC is winner take all. If you get 1 more vote in california you get all of the EVs of California. That can lead to someone winning the entire nation with a tiny margin in some states and then they get crushed in other states.

With the system the dems use Biden and Sanders each got about the same number of delegates in Texas because they each got about the same number of votes.

I swear to God sometimes I wonder if it's even worth it talking to y'all when you can't understand basic principles of democracy.

No it's not, Jesus, is this the level of comprehension I interact with on here?

The EC is winner take all. If you get 1 more vote in california you get all of the EVs of California. That can lead to someone winning the entire nation with a tiny margin in some states and then they get crushed in other states.

With the system the dems use Biden and Sanders each got about the same number of delegates in Texas because they each got about the same number of votes.

I swear to God sometimes I wonder if it's even worth it talking to y'all when you can't understand basic principles of democracy.

You seem pretty upset. Was last night that hard on you?

The EC allows each state to allocate their votes however they see fit, just like how the Democrat primaries work.

You seem pretty upset. Was last night that hard on you?
I'm just questioning what can possibly be going through your head that you think a proportional allotment of delegates is the same as the EC. That's basic knowledge of our system of government. Then several chud squad members actually backed you up, like, what the ****? I joke about you all being double digit IQ but I think it might actually be true.

The entire democrat field, which is essentially the most powerful people in the democrat party, wants to eliminate the electoral college and go to a popular vote. Why haven't these people thrown their weight around and made the democrat primary a popular vote?
Huh? I always thought the purpose of the party's primaries was to identify who the State's delegates would be supporting at their summer convention based on the individual candidate's popularity within the State.

Without the delegates, it would be an awfully empty convention hall.

I'm kind of surprised that they havent done the interstate compact thing and tied several states together for delegates

Again, it's not comparable because the delegates are proportional, not winner take all. It forces you to campaign in every state in order to try to hit 15%. In a winner take all system, if you are down 20-30 points, there is no point in wasting time in that state. That's comparable to the EC.

Reactions: DaShuckster
Again, it's not comparable because the delegates are proportional, not winner take all. It forces you to campaign in every state in order to try to hit 15%. In a winner take all system, if you are down 20-30 points, there is no point in wasting time in that state. That's comparable to the EC.
So do you prefer this system to the EC?

Do you prefer this system to the EC?
Do you understand the meaning of an 'apples and oranges' comment?

apples and oranges
DEFINITION
Used with reference to two things that are fundamentally different and therefore not suited to comparison.

Last edited:
Do you understand the meaning of an 'apples and oranges' comment?

apples and oranges
DEFINITION
Used with reference to two things that are fundamentally different and therefore not suited to comparison.
Which system do you think works best for its purpose?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT