ADVERTISEMENT

Hottest June in the recorded history of planet Earth.

climate change has always happened. It has been colder and hotter, and no one really knows what is the perfect temp world wide to maintain life. Maybe 1 degree warmer is the optimum.

climate change has always happened. It has been colder and hotter, and no one really knows what is the perfect temp world wide to maintain life. Maybe 1 degree warmer is the optimum.
Yeah, same with the growth in frequency and strength of hurricanes and tornados. No big deal in Florida, right? Billions of dollars in damage these babies are causing but it's all just part of a natural cycle and there's nothing we can do about it.

Let's send all the storm victims are thoughts and prayers and move on.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
We definitely could have used some warmer weather in Nebraska. The crops are probably 10 days behind where they should be, not even counting how late the planting season was to begin with.

We definitely could have used some warmer weather in Nebraska. The crops are probably 10 days behind where they should be, not even counting how late the planting season was to begin with.

Why do you continually have to lie?

Y'all got 4 planting days....because of literally unprecedented rain and flooding.

Goddamnit you hav turned into a true shit tier poster.

Yeah, same with the growth in frequency and strength of hurricanes and tornados. No big deal in Florida, right? Billions of dollars in damage these babies are causing but it's all just part of a natural cycle and there's nothing we can do about it.

I live on the coast in fla, thank you. U are aware the US went 10 full years without a major hurricane that ended just 4 or 5 years ago. Hurricanes come and go and some years they are strong and others not so much. I have lived on the coast in Fla for 62 years, I have seen decades where they were really bad, and other decades where there were few. The more things change the more they stay the same. Even a 100 year group of climate shows very little, It has been hotter, and will be again. It has been colder and will be again.

Last edited:
I live on the coast in fla, thank you.
Well, hell, if you've lived on the Florida coast and think global warming is a farce, then I guess we should all ignore the scientific community and their research findings documenting that:
  • Warming of the climate system in unequivocal and since the 1950s, the observed changes have been unprecedented.
  • Atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide have increased to levels unprecedented in at least the last 800,000 years.
  • Human influence on the climate system has been the dominant influence in global warming since 1951.
But on the other hand, what the hell do scientists know, right? All this scientific research is left-wing gobbledygook compared to the personal opinion of some crusty, old fart living on the Florida coast!!!

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Your friends in China are some of the leading producers of pollution. Beta male Obummer wouldn't do anything about them.

I'm personally concerned about what we are doing to the planet. The problem is unless you get everyone on board we are doing nothing anyway.

Well, hell, if you've lived on the Florida coast and think global warming is a farce, then I guess we should all ignore the scientific community and their research findings documenting that:
  • Warming of the climate system in unequivocal and since the 1950s, the observed changes have been unprecedented.
  • Atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide have increased to levels unprecedented in at least the last 800,000 years.
  • Human influence on the climate system has been the dominant influence in global warming since 1951.
But on the other hand, what the hell do scientists know, right? All this scientific research is left-wing gobbledygook compared to the personal opinion of some crusty, old fart living on the Florida coast!!!

For a supposedly smart guy you are pretty stupid, you still try to use logic and facts while debating with people who arrived at their worldview in the complete absence of logic and facts.

Do you really think you are going to change someone's mind using that strategy?

and no one really knows what is the perfect temp world wide to maintain life. Maybe 1 degree warmer is the optimum.

I don't even know what this means since every organism has a different optimal temp. What matters is what's happening to the ecosystems where those organisms thrive. You want the coral to just pickup and move to cooler waters ffs?

Maybe we should just sit back and then the aliens can come study the fossil record and ice core samples to decide which temp is best and leave that info behind for us when they re-seed the planet. Jesus Christ.

IMO, the biggest problem with this whole climate change hullabaloo is that really nothing has changed in a way that matters to anyone. We keep getting predictions of catastrophe and they never come to pass. There are floods that kill people, but that isn't exactly a new phenomenon. The coastline is eroding but it has been for thousands of years. Tornadoes and hurricanes? Really no different than they ever were. Compare famine today with that of 100 or 500 years ago. Pretty much way better.

This whole thing came into the forefront of politics about 45 years ago and the population has kept growing. You would think that if this was as dire as they make it out to be for the future of humanity we would be seeing some of the effects of it by now.

Reactions: UCFWayne
For a supposedly smart guy you are pretty stupid, you still try to use logic and facts while debating with people who arrived at their worldview in the complete absence of logic and facts.

Do you really think you are going to change someone's mind using that strategy?
Uh oh. Ninjaknight is now even turning on his idol.

IMO, the biggest problem with this whole climate change hullabaloo is that really nothing has changed in a way that matters to anyone. We keep getting predictions of catastrophe and they never come to pass. There are floods that kill people, but that isn't exactly a new phenomenon. The coastline is eroding but it has been for thousands of years. Tornadoes and hurricanes? Really no different than they ever were. Compare famine today with that of 100 or 500 years ago. Pretty much way better.

This whole thing came into the forefront of politics about 45 years ago and the population has kept growing. You would think that if this was as dire as they make it out to be for the future of humanity we would be seeing some of the effects of it by now.
It’s already happening and will continue to get much worse. It’s just a slow process and it will take many more years to REALLY effect humans. Trust me. It will. There are just too many people in the world. The United States literally has double the population of just 50 years ago. Double!!

You’re already starting to see it in the strength and size of hurricanes and the lack of glaciers

I live on the coast in fla, thank you. U are aware the US went 10 full years without a major hurricane that ended just 4 or 5 years ago. Hurricanes come and go and some years they are strong and others not so much. I have lived on the coast in Fla for 62 years, I have seen decades where they were really bad, and other decades where there were few. The more things change the more they stay the same. Even a 100 year group of climate shows very little, It has been hotter, and will be again. It has been colder and will be again.
You need to brush up on your facts dude. You are factually incorrect.

It’s already happening and will continue to get much worse. It’s just a slow process and it will take many more years to REALLY effect humans. Trust me. It will. There are just too many people in the world. The United States literally has double the population of just 50 years ago. Double!!

You’re already starting to see it in the strength and size of hurricanes and the lack of glaciers
So if I stay up tonight until 2 or 3, is that long enough? I mean this whole thing started before I was born but I'm starting to get a little bit anxious. I was promised that by now Florida would be completely under water which I am TOTALLY in favor of but it seems like you guys just keep powering through.

So if I stay up tonight until 2 or 3, is that long enough? I mean this whole thing started before I was born but I'm starting to get a little bit anxious. I was promised that by now Florida would be completely under water which I am TOTALLY in favor of but it seems like you guys just keep powering through.
No. You’ll be dead before it’s a major issue
Probably 50-300 years at least

Even though I'm sure you could quibble with the data or methodology I like these animated graphs for painting a picture. It's also important to remember CO2s life in the atmosphere when playing the blame China and India game.

I have absolutely no idea what exact share of the blame modern humans deserve but whatever share that is, our (USA) specific contribution to that has been enough that we have a moral obligation to make sure we're leading the charge right?

i care about climate change almost as much as I care about that senile President from the 70s breaking his hip

Even though I'm sure you could quibble with the data or methodology I like these animated graphs for painting a picture. It's also important to remember CO2s life in the atmosphere when playing the blame China and India game.

I have absolutely no idea what exact share of the blame modern humans deserve but whatever share that is, our (USA) specific contribution to that has been enough that we have a moral obligation to make sure we're leading the charge right?

Howabout data on the last 5,10, and 20 years chief?

So, we and I have an obligation to lead the charge from something that happened 100,200 and 250 years ago? Yeah sure

Oh. and i’m sure there was so much accurate data on this collected in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Additionally, you do realize that we most likely HAVE already been doing more than any other country, so I’m not sure of your point

Are you referring to the deal that we pulled out of?

I don't know whether scientist are right or wrong. I have doubts, sorry if I don't just assume they are right. 2 1/2 years ago we were told we had 12 years to deal with it or it would be too late. Well, we now have 9 1/2 years so I suggest you who wish to stop it, quit driving, quit flying, quit using your air conditioners, computers, internet, eating beef, breathing and farting.

When Al Gore and others quit flying private, living in mega mansions, often more than one, I will listen to them. Funny they all want to tax me more and take away my freedom while personally doing nothing.

As for hurricanes, up until the mid 1900s we have very little knowledge of how many or how strong hurricanes were. Unless a ship at sea happened to be where the storm was we never knew it even existed. To act like the sketchy info we have can give us a good idea of long term norms is stupid, and sorry not good science. Even as late as the 1960's They knew very little about most storms, they really didn't know how strong they were or were not, exactly where they were, and certainty not where they were going. They had just begun flying planes through them when they got within a few hundred miles of shore. Acting like we have any real quality info long term on storm strength is fallacy.

Last edited:
Wrong. We have had reconnaissance airplanes flying into hurricanes for 50-75 years and record low millibars continue to be recorded.
I’m impressed, Ucfmikes! You’ve brought real science into this discussion! Who knew you had it in you??!? ;)

Reactions: NinjaKnight
Wrong. We have had reconnaissance airplanes flying into hurricanes for 50-75 years and record low millibars continue to be recorded.
It's interesting that this is happening but thats still a pretty small sample size. Are hurricanes in general measuring lower and lower pressures or is it just that in any given hurricane there may be a new record low?

I don't know whether scientist are right or wrong. I have doubts, sorry if I don't just assume they are right. 2 1/2 years ago we were told we had 12 years to deal with it or it would be too late. Well, we now have 9 1/2 years so I suggest you who wish to stop it, quit driving, quit flying, quit using your air conditioners, computers, internet, eating beef, breathing and farting.

When Al Gore and others quit flying private, living in mega mansions, often more than one, I will listen to them. Funny they all want to tax me more and take away my freedom while personally doing nothing.

As for hurricanes, up until the mid 1900s we have very little knowledge of how many or how strong hurricanes were. Unless a ship at sea happened to be where the storm was we never knew it even existed. To act like the sketchy info we have can give us a good idea of long term norms is stupid, and sorry not good science. Even as late as the 1960's They knew very little about most storms, they really didn't know how strong they were or were not, exactly where they were, and certainty not where they were going. They had just begun flying planes through them when they got within a few hundred miles of shore. Acting like we have any real quality info long term on storm strength is fallacy.

I'm with you man, who know if those scientists are right or wrong. I mean I don't think my cell phone works. Cars are mostly just imaginary things.

It's probably best not to trust scientists on this either, they really never get things right anyways

I’m impressed, Ucfmikes! You’ve brought real science into this discussion! Who knew you had it in you??!? ;)
I know lots of things in great detail, but this annoying thing called work is time limiting posting examples of my amazing knowledge that could be an asset to important things in life,

This board. The infamous WC :grimace:

It's interesting that this is happening but thats still a pretty small sample size. Are hurricanes in general measuring lower and lower pressures or is it just that in any given hurricane there may be a new record low?
Millibars are a great indication of hurricane strength as it takes perfect conditions, such as higher ocean temperatures

Over the past several years, and definitely the last 30-40, many of the lowest millibars have been recorded.

Sample size has been bigger in more recent years, but it just seems like these storms are more numerous and closer together. In the past, you saw them 10-20 years apart, now it’s every 2-5

Millibars are a great indication of hurricane strength as it takes perfect conditions, such as higher ocean temperatures

Over the past several years, and definitely the last 30-40, many of the lowest millibars have been recorded.

Sample size has been bigger in more recent years, but it just seems like these storms are more numerous and closer together. In the past, you saw them 10-20 years apart, now it’s every 2-5
I just looked it up and it does look like there is something to this. Kind of odd that we had a period from 2003-2005 with greater than normal cat-5 storms and then pretty much went dormant until 17-18 when it started back up. It's also interesting how the trend doesn't coincide with El Nino when the oceans water is warmest. Weird how up here in Nebraskatucky we experience the effects of El Nino pretty predictably but the coastal states don't have that same effect.

The first ever flight in to a hurricane happened in 1943, ok 76 years ago for first flight. Next time was 1945, Point is it was not common for another 10 or 20 years and measurements taken were no where near as good as now. 75 years is but a blip in time of the history of earth, and doesn't even really show anything about what storms throughout the history of the earth have been like. Even though the population was much smaller, hurricanes used to kill many more, Why? because they had no clue a hurricane was there, and got little to no warning a hurricane was even going to hit. Bottom line is we have 50 to 75 years of decent weather data, and another 25 to 50 of sketchy data, then very little before that.

The first ever flight in to a hurricane happened in 1943, ok 76 years ago for first flight. Next time was 1945, Point is it was not common for another 10 or 20 years and measurements taken were no where near as good as now. 75 years is but a blip in time of the history of earth, and doesn't even really show anything about what storms throughout the history of the earth have been like. Even though the population was much smaller, hurricanes used to kill many more, Why? because they had no clue a hurricane was there, and got little to no warning a hurricane was even going to hit. Bottom line is we have 50 to 75 years of decent weather data, and another 25 to 50 of sketchy data, then very little before that.
I completely agree and understand, but you have to admit that all evidence points to stronger hurricanes now vs years ago more than the opposite or even equal

Yes.., the Galveston hurricane of 1900 killed 6,000 people, because of lack of warnings, etc

Additionally, stories from towns, ships records, etc from 100-200 years ago didn’t indicate nearly what we are seeing now. Hurricanes were still hitting populated cities back then. It wasn’t like it was the Middle Ages. There were records, witnesses, etc

I can’t remember hearing about any or many hurricanes in the 1940’s. Look at the hurricanes since 2004. They have been ridiculous. Also, higher water temperatures have already been documented. What other explanation for this is there?

We are just arguing something that’s all well documented from people who have studied this much more than us

Last edited:
I just looked it up and it does look like there is something to this. Kind of odd that we had a period from 2003-2005 with greater than normal cat-5 storms and then pretty much went dormant until 17-18 when it started back up. It's also interesting how the trend doesn't coincide with El Nino when the oceans water is warmest. Weird how up here in Nebraskatucky we experience the effects of El Nino pretty predictably but the coastal states don't have that same effect.

El Nino typically strengthens hurricanes/cyclones in the pacific, but usually they usually occur further south than the US. But, it weakens them in the Atlantic due to increased wind shear, so El Nino is typically good for the Hurricane season with regards to the east coast, Florida and the Caribbean.

Additionally, stories from towns, ships records, etc from 100-200 years ago didn’t indicate nearly what we are seeing now. Hurricanes were still hitting populated cities back then. It wasn’t like it was the Middle Ages. There were records, witnesses, etc

I can’t remember hearing about any or many hurricanes in the 1940’s. Look at the hurricanes since 2004. They have been ridiculous. Also, higher water temperatures have already been documented. What other explanation for this is there?

We are just arguing something that’s all well documented from people who have studied this much more than us
It's possible that since we constantly monitor storms now from almost their inception that we just have a better reading of how powerful the storms are at their peak.

Katrina and Rita both reached Cat-5 level in the middle of the ocean but I believe they were only cat3 and cat2 when they made landfall. 75 years ago we may have not known what their peak was because we weren't sending planes out into the middle of the Atlantic to measure them, so they wouldn't make the list.

Kind of an interesting note: looking at the historical records of total numbers of Atlantic hurricanes, there looks to be about a 40-50 year cycle, with peaks in the 1890s, 1940s, 1970s, and 2000s. Probably just a weird coincidence, but who knows.

I'm going to take exception to your claim about tornadoes. Since 1999 we have had the two longest stretches in history without an F5 and 2018 was the first year in recorded history that we didn't have an f4 or f5.

ADVERTISEMENT