ADVERTISEMENT

How beneficial is it to start the season with two I-AA teams given our situation?

Knight_Classes_begin_7pm

Golden Knight
Oct 6, 2013
We've had so many transfers, a new QB, and hopefully a revamped defense.

It's got to be beneficial for practice, bonding, play calling, etc.

TCU will tell the tale! :cool:

Thoughts?

We've had so many transfers, a new QB, and hopefully a revamped defense.

It's got to be beneficial for practice, bonding, play calling, etc.

TCU will tell the tale! :cool:

Thoughts?
Just an FYI, Sam Houston is a FBS team. They are in Conference USA, so they are a G5 team.

But, still if we don’t stomp them we got problems.

Quickly looking through Sam Houston State to see if we should be concerned at all… last year was their first in fbs. They started the season 0-8 but won 3 out of their final 4. They’ve brought some transfers in, and their qb is a grad transfer from North Texas. They’ve got a decent kicker. And they constantly get into the top 25 in my NCAA dynasty.

It’s great for us. We will stomp them at home and we won’t have to open up the playbook.

I see TCU as a must win game that will set the tone. If we lose to them, the season is F’d. if we can control the game and beat them, the team is going to feel confidence.

Even though we’ll have played easy teams, we have very experienced players and a tough fall camp, players will be ready for TCU.

I am glad the first game is easy, 2nd game still a good idea. Only problem is if you don't get tested at least a little bit, you may not be ready to be tested.

I can see the benefit of why SEC traditionally schedules their cupcake in November. Allows a breather when the team has injuries and worn late in the season.

Very. The schedule is definitely going to help our season. There are many new players on the roster and these games will be pivotal for determining the 2-deep to have success in the remaining 10 games. Every season I believe by the 4th game we know what kind of team we will have. Again our record and performance by end of game 4 should tell us what to expect. We may even have multiple good options at backup QB this season if needed which will be a first.

Reactions: Knight_Light
You don’t know what the team is after 4 games. Especially when 2 of those games are cupcakes. Last year we started 3-1. Only got 3 more wins the entire rest of year.

Reactions: Nautiknight
You don’t know what the team is after 4 games. Especially when 2 of those games are cupcakes. Last year we started 3-1. Only got 3 more wins the entire rest of year.
Confidence in Colton Boomer after 4 games vs. End of season is a good example.

Confidence in Colton Boomer after 4 games vs. End of season is a good example.
Boomer was just 6-14 (42.8%) in Big 12 game FG attempts...let alone the Big PAT miss at Texas Tech in that 1 pt loss.

He has to do better and I think he will do well in the non pressure 2 home games to start the season but the game at TCU in Week 3 could show what kind of kicker he will be this year.

Reactions: tjb74
Boomer was just 6-14 (42.8%) in Big 12 game FG attempts...let alone the Big PAT miss at Texas Tech in that 1 pt loss.

He has to do better and I think he will do well in the non pressure 2 home games to start the season but the game at TCU in Week 3 could show what kind of kicker he will be this year.
I don’t think the conference games or certain types of pressure games had anything to do with the drop off. Remember that Oklahoma game? Crazy clutch kicks on the road. Some “thing” happened around that time period that just have him the yips for the rest of the year. Wouldn’t have mattered if they were big 12 games, home games, road games, or FCS games. We’ll know pretty early on whether he was able to reset or if those issues have carried over.

I don’t think the conference games or certain types of pressure games had anything to do with the drop off. Remember that Oklahoma game? Crazy clutch kicks on the road. Some “thing” happened around that time period that just have him the yips for the rest of the year. Wouldn’t have mattered if they were big 12 games, home games, road games, or FCS games. We’ll know pretty early on whether he was able to reset or if those issues have carried over.
Pressure does matter...which is why coaches will sometimes have a kicker attempt a FG at the end of practice...Make it and everyone goes in...misses it, team runs.

Just like in Golf...the yips is a real thing.

Last edited:
Boomer tried to play through an injury last season and it hurt the team. We now have depth at that position. Gus admitted in earlier interview that Boomer needs someone else to do kickoffs to save his leg.

Sometimes it only takes 1 game to know if we are going to suck as we play a cupcake. After 4 games you have a pretty good feeling of how good the team will be IF you don't have major injuries. With 2 home games and 2 away games we will know. If we go 4-0 this season, then I will start getting excited about championship talk.

In High School, they would have scrimmages against other opponents before the season starts. In the PROs they have practices and scrimmages between teams like Giants and Detroit this season. It is important to get some competition in during training. It's hard to gauge if you have a really good defense if your offense isn't good and visa versa. I look at the cupcake games as necessary scrimmage time and it's good to reward ALL your players with some playing time before the games become super competitive. Imagine doing all the training these guys did this season and only letting 25, one quarter of them getting any playing time. They would be hitting the transfer portal like crazy.

tenor.gif

Not sure about the score but look something like this in the endzone.

There are a ton of good matchups this Saturday. Since our first game is on Thursday we get to watch other games. If you want to scout next week's opponent: Rice Owls vs. Sam Houston Bearkats game, Saturday, August 31.

sam houston state, our 2nd opponent. i don't know if you all are trolling or not. they're on our schedule.
I’ve never watched any of their games or pay attention to them in general. I knew it was another teams fan. Didn’t know which one. Someone else commented like he was talking about us.

There are a ton of good matchups this Saturday. Since our first game is on Thursday we get to watch other games. If you want to scout next week's opponent: Rice Owls vs. Sam Houston Bearkats game, Saturday, August 31.
The Rice game should help see how much we've improved over last year. Our defense was good but we struggled to score.
Our WR group is a strength but only if our QB can get it to them.

Can't wait to come see the Bounce House, my nephew was there with Boise a couple years ago and the family had a great time.

Yes, Conferemce USA after a successful run in FCS.

The worst FBS conference is still better than FCS.

UCF came from Conference USA not that long ago. It’s a nice conference for teams stepping up from FCS. You’ll prob be conference mates with usf soon enough.

Reactions: Sammy_Bearkat
Yes, Conferemce USA after a successful run in FCS.

The worst FBS conference is still better than FCS.
CUSA isn’t embarrassing. Definitely better than FCS. I’d rather play CUSA than FCS teams to start year. Looks better on paper , win or lose. Good luck his year, after us obviously.

Bearkats about to kickoff their warmup against Rice!!! Finally named a starting quarterback, supposedly will be a lot more physical in our second year of FBS.

• Haha
Reactions: U C to the F
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT