ADVERTISEMENT

How many games does the CFB season exist before being cancelled?

I can get by with just the NFL for 1 Fall. The problem is how College Football is structured which is why this has turned this messy

Well, I am glad you can get by with just the NFL. I am also quite glad that you don't speak for everyone. Again, something is better than nothing. And for many college programs, it will be play something now or never play again.

Well, I am glad you can get by with just the NFL. I am also quite glad that you don't speak for everyone. Again, something is better than nothing. And for many college programs, it will be play something now or never play again.

UCF would have been more likely to have more attendance/revenue in a condensed Spring Season vs the Fall restrictions

UCF would have been more likely to have more attendance/revenue in a condensed Spring Season vs the Fall restrictions

A spring season doesn't work for a variety of reasons, least of all having kids play two full football seasons in a calendar year. Smart move by DW.

Reactions: Crazyhole

Spring "seasons" are fantasy talk and these other conferences know it. Not playing in the Fall means you wait until Fall 2021 to play anything remotely meaningful again.

Biden may have backed himself into a corner running those ads about how trump is the reason why college football in the big10 is canceled.

Biden may have backed himself into a corner running those ads about how trump is the reason why college football in the big10 is canceled.

He's an idiot. They all thought that the B1G and PAC!2 would cause everyone else to throw in the towel, and the Democrats would be there to remind everyone that meanie Trump is the only reason there's no football.

Everyone else is now playing, we've already had our first games, and suddenly the northern Democrats who run these key B1G states are being pegged as the reason there will be no football in the midwest this year.

Auburn hasn't practiced most of last week bc an outbreak with an entire position group. I don't get why so many are eager to watch a watered down season. Memphis's best player opts out along with UCF's goal line QB. This non stop Big10 media blitz is just red meat for morons that follow Clay Travis.

Not to mention, the thing that makes college football (and basketball) great, is the environment that surrounds the game. Crazy student sections, tail gating, etc etc. When you remove all the "pageantry" major college football is basically the equivalent of double A baseball or something. I am glad we are getting at least some college football, but it isnt going to remotely resemble a normal season.

And Clay Travis sucks. His whole schtick is a gimmick because he started realizing his base was a conservative leaning base, so he is going overboard to play to them. I used to listen to him on local radio in Nashville and I thought he was pretty good, but was also reasonable.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
He's an idiot. They all thought that the B1G and PAC!2 would cause everyone else to throw in the towel, and the Democrats would be there to remind everyone that meanie Trump is the only reason there's no football.

Everyone else is now playing, we've already had our first games, and suddenly the northern Democrats who run these key B1G states are being pegged as the reason there will be no football in the midwest this year.
Big10 presidents are pushing back now. Not only has Biden lost the narrative that Trump is to blame, Trump can say he offered federal assistance to the conference so they could play by supplying the new 15 minute tests from the federal stockpile. Unless the SEC crashes and burns by November, Trump won a huge political victory here.

Big10 presidents are pushing back now. Not only has Biden lost the narrative that Trump is to blame, Trump can say he offered federal assistance to the conference so they could play by supplying the new 15 minute tests from the federal stockpile. Unless the SEC crashes and burns by November, Trump won a huge political victory here.

I think you are over valuing this with regards to voters. I dont think people worried about having a job are going to vote for someone based on college football. But, If people are voting for a candidate based on college football, then this country is dumber than I thought.

A spring season doesn't work for a variety of reasons, least of all having kids play two full football seasons in a calendar year. Smart move by DW.
Not if you split the season. Replace Spring ball with the remainder of the games. I think we have 9 this fall. Play another 3 in the spring.

I think you are over valuing this with regards to voters. I dont think people worried about having a job are going to vote for someone based on college football. But, If people are voting for a candidate based on college football, then this country is dumber than I thought.
Its the encapsulation of the whole thing, not a single issue. People want to return to normal and Trump is putting himself in a position to say that hes trying, but the left is refusing.

It's Sept 1st. No way does the Big 10 play. Even if they worked a deal tomorrow, they would need a month to get in shape.

Its the encapsulation of the whole thing, not a single issue. People want to return to normal and Trump is putting himself in a position to say that hes trying, but the left is refusing.

Yeah, but there is a big difference in just wanting to get back to normal, and actually doing the things properly so we can get back to normal. The fact we are still where we are, is because this country, and president, didnt do the things we needed to do in the first place. Everyone wants to get back to normal, the question is can we get back to normal.

People don't trust Trump. Trump has been pushing to open schools, restaurants and sports but people are voting with their feet. Even diehard Trumpers won't attend his rallies.

Yeah, but there is a big difference in just wanting to get back to normal, and actually doing the things properly so we can get back to normal. The fact we are still where we are, is because this country, and president, didnt do the things we needed to do in the first place. Everyone wants to get back to normal, the question is can we get back to normal.
Yep. There is no free lunch.

Not to mention, the thing that makes college football (and basketball) great, is the environment that surrounds the game. Crazy student sections, tail gating, etc etc. When you remove all the "pageantry" major college football is basically the equivalent of double A baseball or something. I am glad we are getting at least some college football, but it isnt going to remotely resemble a normal season.

And Clay Travis sucks. His whole schtick is a gimmick because he started realizing his base was a conservative leaning base, so he is going overboard to play to them. I used to listen to him on local radio in Nashville and I thought he was pretty good, but was also reasonable.
I don't think the appeal is going to be the same & it is going to be way more noticeable in comparison to NBA and NHL with no fans. Every game will be like a UAB game

Last edited:
Reactions: firm_bizzle
I don't think the appeal is going to be the same & it is going to be way more noticeable in comparison to NBA and NHL with no fans. Every game will be like a UAB game

Yep. It will be closer to baseball, but even then, other than maybe the postseason, baseball fans at stadiums are usually pretty relaxed, so I think it will be even more noticeable than baseball. NBA and NHL have done a good job I think, but it is much easier to do it indoors than outdoors. The NFL isnt going to be the same either, but the NFL is still the best of the best competing, where as college is realistically just a minor league football with a major league atmosphere. But without the atmosphere, I think it is going to look a lot more like a minor league sport.

Ill take it too, but I will say I am looking forward to the NFL than to college, although in fairness I do prefer the NFL to college anyway.
with the NFL having so many fun young QBs(Kyler Murray, Watson, Mahomes, now Tua) coming up I've enjoyed it more and more the last few years.

and way before this pandemic the system of College Football has turned me off on the sport some, the way UCF was treated during all of 2017 was the peak of it.

with the NFL having so many fun young QBs(Kyler Murray, Watson, Mahomes, now Tua) coming up I've enjoyed it more and more the last few years.

and way before this pandemic the system of College Football has turned me off on the sport some, the way UCF was treated during all of 2017 was the peak of it.

The NFL always has interesting storylines too I think. Seeing how Brady and Belichick fair without each other, seeing if Cam can be rejuvenated in NE, seeing if Mahomes can continue to look like an all time great, can Derek Henry continue with what he did last post season, can teams figure out Lamar Jackson, were Sean McVay and the Rams a one year wonder 2 years ago, or can they bounce back this year, is Baker Mayfield a bust or will be Browns be good this year, etc etc.

It's weird seeing UCF fans declare that they can't possibly enjoy games without tons of fans in the stands, given that 50% of our road CUSA and AAC games were/are in near empty stadiums. The shitty game in Tulsa last year had maybe 500 fans in the stands and yet everyone watched.

Not if you split the season. Replace Spring ball with the remainder of the games. I think we have 9 this fall. Play another 3 in the spring.

Still not good--too close to the combine and draft stuff for many players.

Spring is just not a good idea any way you slice it.

Yep. Spring would almost just be a glorified exhibition with a lot of players sitting out. Plus you would have March Madness (or maybe April madness next year) NHL and NBA playoffs starting. I just cant see myself getting hyped up for spring football.

I don't expect anybody that plans on declaring for the draft to play. In fact, I think the fall and spring would just be fun scrimmages. Basically, trying to play the entire fall season from Sept-May. Play the guys that will be here for Fall 2021 in the spring.

I don't expect anybody that plans on declaring for the draft to play. In fact, I think the fall and spring would just be fun scrimmages. Basically, trying to play the entire fall season from Sept-May. Play the guys that will be here for Fall 2021 in the spring.

Dude, there isn't one coach in the nation who would want anything to end in May, only to have to turn around two months later for fall camp and the 2021 season. That's just not a tenable scenario. You probably have 95% of Division 1 coaches who wish they could get rid of the spring game right now under normal circumstances were it up to them.

I can get by with just the NFL for 1 Fall. The problem is how College Football is structured which is why this has turned this messy

Kids at 18-23 are not high risk. The lockdown of football makes zero sense. Kids are playing youth sports now. Not many people are scared now and those scared can opt out. It's a joke that we are having this discussion.

It's weird seeing UCF fans declare that they can't possibly enjoy games without tons of fans in the stands, given that 50% of our road CUSA and AAC games were/are in near empty stadiums. The shitty game in Tulsa last year had maybe 500 fans in the stands and yet everyone watched.
Fan support was going to be important for the Cincinnati game.

Dude, there isn't one coach in the nation who would want anything to end in May, only to have to turn around two months later for fall camp and the 2021 season. That's just not a tenable scenario. You probably have 95% of Division 1 coaches who wish they could get rid of the spring game right now under normal circumstances were it up to them.
It would be exactly the same amount of practice/playing time that they get now between fall and spring ball only spread out from September until May, with coach determined breaks. It's no different than the July-April season that we had before. Also, I'm not talking about a full 10-12 game spring season. 3-6 games at most. There will be less injuries and more time to develop players with 2 shorter split seasons.

It would be exactly the same amount of practice/playing time that they get now between fall and spring ball only spread out from September until May, with coach determined breaks. It's no different than the July-April season that we had before. Also, I'm not talking about a full 10-12 game spring season. 3-6 games at most. There will be less injuries and more time to develop players with 2 shorter split seasons.

I disagree with the notion that it’s exactly the same. As it were, it is still too condensed to flow well into the fall 2021. And we still are back to the fundamental problem of the draft, combines, pro days, all that stuff.

I disagree with the notion that it’s exactly the same. As it were, it is still too condensed to flow well into the fall 2021. And we still are back to the fundamental problem of the draft, combines, pro days, all that stuff.
Just like in normal times, players that are preparing for the NFL don't participate in the Spring ball. Give the 2020 guys some games or scrimmages against real teams in the fall (8-10) and the 2021 guys some games or scrimmages against real teams in the spring (2-4). Keeps players engaged and they don't lose the opportunity to improve because that's what taking away games does.

Just like in normal times, players that are preparing for the NFL don't participate in the Spring ball. Give the 2020 guys some games or scrimmages against real teams in the fall (8-10) and the 2021 guys some games or scrimmages against real teams in the spring (2-4). Keeps players engaged and they don't lose the opportunity to improve because that's what taking away games does.

Yes, many of them do participate in spring ball (maybe not the game, but definitely practice).

Again, you are asking a tremendous amount in a short time.

Yes, many of them do participate in spring ball (maybe not the game, but definitely practice).

Again, you are asking a tremendous amount in a short time.
We have only 8 games this fall. I just want a few games in the spring too. There are conferences that aren't playing this fall. We should be able to schedule something in the spring.

We have only 8 games this fall. I just want a few games in the spring too. There are conferences that aren't playing this fall. We should be able to schedule something in the spring.

We have nine and might get a couple more, according to Heup.

Last edited:
We have nine and might get a couple more, according to Heup.
I doubt that we get another and if we do, it'll probably be against a no-name opponent. Plus, why cram more games into the fall with the uncertainty. I'd love 3 more in the spring with full capacity! Maybe even a spring bowl game in Orlando!

I doubt that we get another and if we do, it'll probably be against a no-name opponent. Plus, why cram more games into the fall with the uncertainty. I'd love 3 more in the spring with full capacity! Maybe even a spring bowl game in Orlando!

Lame AF. Sorry, dude.

ADVERTISEMENT