ADVERTISEMENT

How many games does the CFB season exist before being cancelled?

UCFKnight85

GOL's Inner Circle
Gold Member
May 6, 2003
1? 3? Entire season gets played? No season even starts?

UConn has cancelled already, Penn State just said they'll have no fans, other programs are selling tickets and planning on fans, some schools are still practicing with multiple positive COVID cases, Northwestern suspended all practice over just 1 positive COVID case.

I want to believe CFB exists this Fall. Having trouble seeing how.

1? 3? Entire season gets played? No season even starts?

UConn has cancelled already, Penn State just said they'll have no fans, other programs are selling tickets and planning on fans, some schools are still practicing with multiple positive COVID cases, Northwestern suspended all practice over just 1 positive COVID case.

I want to believe CFB exists this Fall. Having trouble seeing how.

Did you mean for this go in here or the Dungeon? Regardless...

I think it depends on where. I really do not see the SEC canceling a damn thing. Or Texas and OU. The Pac10 is another story. I could see Rutgers or other shit programs in the Big10 sit it out.

It is, in short, going to be a royal battle between college presidents (none of whom want an outbreak or any player to die on their watch) versus the athletic depts. And spring football ain't a solution.

Did you mean for this go in here or the Dungeon? Regardless...

I think it depends on where. I really do not see the SEC canceling a damn thing. Or Texas and OU. The Pac10 is another story. I could see Rutgers or other shit programs in the Big10 sit it out.

It is, in short, going to be a royal battle between college presidents (none of whom want an outbreak or any player to die on their watch) versus the athletic depts. And spring football ain't a solution.

I meant for it here since I want to know what the NU fanboys think.

I’m excited by all the talk about the season returning but in the back of my mind I feel like Charlie Brown ready to kick off with Lucy holding the football with a twinkle in her eye.

I’m excited by all the talk about the season returning but in the back of my mind I feel like Charlie Brown ready to kick off with Lucy holding the football with a twinkle in her eye.

That's the thing for me, I can't even get excited (or not allowing myself to) since I can't help but think that this season either doesn't happen or we get 1-2 games in and everyone pulls the plug.

Typically early August is the best time of year since it means football is finally within a 30 day window of being back but it's hard to muster excitement.

At least baseball seems to be making it.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Typically early August is the best time of year since it means football is finally within a 30 day window of being back but it's hard to muster excitement.
I feel the same way. There’s nothing that matches (at least for me) the enthusiasm and excitement surrounding the start of another CFB season.

But I’m torn between allowing myself to get caught up in the talk about my team’s revised schedule which includes five premier home games against other B1G opponents and recognizing the stark reality of what’s really going on right now.

The result is this unsettling “Charlie Brown and Lucy” effect.

Totally agree. Normally the absolute most exciting time of the year for me but this post right now is the most I've even entertained the idea of a season actually happening.

I lost my excitement after hearing about all of these players not playing, limited fans or no fans, and the UNC game practically being cancelled.

If DW can get another P5 game and say a BYU, that might help.

There is just way too much last minute uncertainty to get excited

Reactions: ChrisKnight06
I lost my excitement after hearing about all of these players not playing, limited fans or no fans, and the UNC game practically being cancelled.
Here in red-state Nebraska, the University’s AD has deliberately avoided saying anything about limiting fans and has indirectly implied ‘business as usual’ so I suspect there’s more misguided optimism in these parts than in other places.

I’m one of the ultimate Husker Sunshine-pumpers, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

That's the thing for me, I can't even get excited (or not allowing myself to) since I can't help but think that this season either doesn't happen or we get 1-2 games in and everyone pulls the plug.

At least baseball seems to be making it.

That's how I am too. I was hoping the Predators would make a run in the NHL playoffs so I could have something to keep up with (but that didnt work out), because I am not real optimistic that this football season is either going to played, or it will be played with but will have a ton of players missing time and screwing up the competitiveness of the season.

We'll get 3 weeks for sure, and then it will be all or nothing. It'll have less to do with whether players are catching it and more to do with the population in general.

The MAC just canceled their season.

Imagine other non power conferences will do the same. The players better not push the issue much demanding money because it is going to be a financial struggle just to play the season.

We are going to be out like $2 million a game in ticket/parking/etc revenue.

Imagine other non power conferences will do the same. The players better not push the issue much demanding money because it is going to be a financial struggle just to play the season.

Yeah, I dont see how lower tier conferences without big TV contracts are going to be able to afford to have a season. A lot of those teams depend on the money they receive from playing P5 schools.

The MAC gave cover to every other conference to make the same call. No one wanted to go first but now the MAC had and you’ll see every conference cancelling out by end of next week.

The MAC gave cover to every other conference to make the same call. No one wanted to go first but now the MAC had and you’ll see every conference cancelling out by end of next week.

The P5 contracts are big enough they can survive without fans.

Brett McMurphy just tweeted out that a P5 source has said that college football is done, and it is only a matter of time before before that decision comes out.

Brett McMurphy just tweeted out that a P5 source has said that college football is done, and it is only a matter of time before before that decision comes out.

I think with the combo of liability and the players demanding more, it just isn't worth playing the season.

If it came from a P5 source it must be true*

He is literally saying what you said a few posts ago, but because a P5 source is involved you are going to change your tune now?

No, dude. I am mocking McMustache since he always must mention that he “heard from a Power 5” source instead of just an FBS source. Those lowly G5 sources surely have no idea what’s going on and aren’t credible. His ego is so frail that he thinks name dropping Power 5 will make him more credible.

No, dude. I am mocking McMustache since he always must mention that he “heard from a Power 5” source instead of just an FBS source. Those lowly G5 sources surely have no idea what’s going on and aren’t credible. His ego is so frail that he thinks name dropping Power 5 will make him more credible.

Got ya, so sources from the richest and more powerful schools are meaningless because of some G5-P5 rivalry you have in your head. It's amazing you will even argue with someone who agrees with you, but here we are I guess.

Got ya, so sources from the richest and more powerful schools are meaningless because of some G5-P5 rivalry you have in your head. It's amazing you will even argue with someone who agrees with you, but here we are I guess.

Ok you’re right. I’m sure the Vandy AD has COVID insight and value to these writers that Danny White couldn’t possibly deliver as a lowly G5 AD

Ok you’re right. I’m sure the Vandy AD has COVID insight and value to these writers that Danny White couldn’t possibly deliver as a lowly G5 AD
Last I checkecd, CFB has been run by the SEC, the B1G, and Notre Dame.

Right, when trying to gage if the ACC, SEC, BIg 10 etc are going to have seasons, it obviously makes sense to go to an AD of a school who isnt a member of any of those conferences.

As much as I love UCF football. I have a feeling this season will be a sh!t show on so many levels. Players are almost guaranteed to get covid on some teams. Players protesting. Players wanting compensation when there isn't going to be fans in the stands.

I say just cancel and do it again next fall.

Sounds like the Big 10 and Pac 12 are going to announce tomorrow that they are canceling their seasons.

Sounds like the Big 10 and Pac 12 are going to announce tomorrow that they are canceling their seasons.
It’s probably best. This has turned into a shitshow and the latest player demand antics put the nail in the coffin. Mark it down. Turned me off completely TBH. I’ll take my $1,600 back thank you.

LET THEM EAT CAKE!!!

It’s probably best. This has turned into a shitshow and the latest player demand antics put the nail in the coffin. Mark it down. Turned me off completely TBH. I’ll take my $1,600 back thank you.

LET THEM EAT CAKE!!!
I dont think they understand the unintended consequences of this move. This will probably have long lasting effects on the financial aspect of the sports involved.

I dont think they understand the unintended consequences of this move. This will probably have long lasting effects on the financial aspect of the sports involved.

It is absolutely going to have long lasting effects, but I think there are several issues at play here. One, is the liability issue. Schools getting sued by players who end up with major health issues, would also have lasting ramifications. Two, I think players making all of these demands probably plays a part in it. I think this is something they should have started earlier to see if there was something that could be worked out, but there is no way a lot of these things can be worked out this close to the season. And another aspect, is what happens if schools end up sending students home? Which I think is a pretty big possibility. Do we continue the season? ANd if so, does the whole idea of amateur athletics get thrown out the door? Because if that were to happen, it is more or less the schools admitting they are employees there to make money for the school.

Last edited:
It is absolutely going to have long lasting effects, but I think there are several issues at play here. One, is the liability issue. Schools getting sued by players who end up with major health issues, would also have lasting ramifications. Two, I think players making all of these demands probably plays a part in it. I think this is something they should have started earlier to see if there was something that could be worked out, but there is no way a lot of these things can be worked out this close to the season. And another aspect, is what happens if schools end up sending students home? Which I think is a pretty big possibility. Do we continue the season? ANd if so, does the whole idea of amateur athletics get thrown out the door? Because if that were to happen, it is more or less the schools admitting they are employees there to make money for the school.
Disagree on the liability issue but I have a feeling that the university presidents agree with you. Not sure about the employee aspect. Pretty good arguments could be made on all sides there, the most compelling of which is placing the value on a college degree. Not all students get the same degree but at any given college they cost the same. Pre-med is worth more than a teaching degree but both athletes get the same benefit during their 4 or 5 years. Leave early and neither are worth a dime.

Disagree on the liability issue but I have a feeling that the university presidents agree with you. Not sure about the employee aspect. Pretty good arguments could be made on all sides there, the most compelling of which is placing the value on a college degree. Not all students get the same degree but at any given college they cost the same. Pre-med is worth more than a teaching degree but both athletes get the same benefit during their 4 or 5 years. Leave early and neither are worth a dime.

It has nothing to do with the degree. If say Clemson, gets a major outbreak on their campus and decides to send everyone home and only do online courses, then the only justification for football players staying is because they are making the school money. IT would essentially be the NCAA and Clemson admitting that these arent student athletes, they are athletes first. Which, in reality, I think we all know that is the case, but I do think it makes the NCAA's stance much more difficult to defend if all students are sent home, except the ones who make a ton of money for the school. Which then also potentially opens its up for lawsuits with regards to labor and wages.

It has nothing to do with the degree. If say Clemson, gets a major outbreak on their campus and decides to send everyone home and only do online courses, then the only justification for football players staying is because they are making the school money. IT would essentially be the NCAA and Clemson admitting that these arent student athletes, they are athletes first. Which, in reality, I think we all know that is the case, but I do think it makes the NCAA's stance much more difficult to defend if all students are sent home, except the ones who make a ton of money for the school. Which then also potentially opens its up for lawsuits with regards to labor and wages.
I get what you're saying, and yeah that would be a disaster waiting to happen. I was thinking more about if they still have classes but no sports; should the school have to honor the athletic scholarship? Academic scholarships can be lost if a student doesn't keep up their grades. What makes an athletic scholarship different?

I get what you're saying, and yeah that would be a disaster waiting to happen. I was thinking more about if they still have classes but no sports; should the school have to honor the athletic scholarship? Academic scholarships can be lost if a student doesn't keep up their grades. What makes an athletic scholarship different?

I think the optics of not honoring it would be pretty bad. I suppose they could make an argument they shouldnt have to honor it, but I dont think it would be a good look.

I want football but short of professional leagues doing the whole bubble thing I cant see it. The Big 10 reportedly voted 10-2 to postpone. Just a matter of time until this is official.

ADVERTISEMENT