ADVERTISEMENT

How to make up $30M deficit

Stormthecourt?

Golden Knight
Jan 19, 2012
If the SEC and Big10 decide to play in the fall without fans in the stands then I think all other conferences will follow. If that happens, DW says UCF will have a $30 million hole in its budget from lost game day revenue. Any creative ways to make up $30 million?

1. ask all football season ticket holders to let UCFAA keep their 2020 ticket and donation amounts instead of refunding them or rolling them to 2021.
2. Ask anyone in GKC or anyone who wants to join to donate and you’d get like 5 times the normal amount of GKC points for your donation. This costs UCFAA nothing.
3. Pull out the old ECU virtual bowl
4. Get the RoofClaim sponsorship approved
5. Furlough coaches and cut costs in other areas. I imagine ticket staff and others have been furloughed for a while now

any other ideas?

No. Don't play if all you're going to do is go broke doing it, and you know that in advance. It would be incomprehensible to do so.

If your boss asked you to work for free, would you? No.

Would you buy a stock knowing in advance you are just going to lose money? No.

Probably half of college football is in the same boat we are in. The bigger question is, "Will the NCAA do the right thing?" Maybe this is what causes a breakaway from the NCAA that is always talked about, if they act in the interest of the "haves" rather than the "have nots" (from a financial perspective), or if they do act for all the schools as a whole and decide not to play, maybe this is when the P5 conferences decide to break away and form their own alliance.

If the SEC and Big10 decide to play in the fall without fans in the stands then I think all other conferences will follow. If that happens, DW says UCF will have a $30 million hole in its budget from lost game day revenue. Any creative ways to make up $30 million?

1. ask all football season ticket holders to let UCFAA keep their 2020 ticket and donation amounts instead of refunding them or rolling them to 2021.
2. Ask anyone in GKC or anyone who wants to join to donate and you’d get like 5 times the normal amount of GKC points for your donation. This costs UCFAA nothing.
3. Pull out the old ECU virtual bowl
4. Get the RoofClaim sponsorship approved
5. Furlough coaches and cut costs in other areas. I imagine ticket staff and others have been furloughed for a while now

any other ideas?
LOL, ask season tickets to get nothing for their money? This is insane man.

No. Don't play if all you're going to do is go broke doing it, and you know that in advance. It would be incomprehensible to do so.

If your boss asked you to work for free, would you? No.

Would you buy a stock knowing in advance you are just going to lose money? No.

Probably half of college football is in the same boat we are in. The bigger question is, "Will the NCAA do the right thing?" Maybe this is what causes a breakaway from the NCAA that is always talked about, if they act in the interest of the "haves" rather than the "have nots" (from a financial perspective), or if they do act for all the schools as a whole and decide not to play, maybe this is when the P5 conferences decide to break away and form their own alliance.

Pay-per-view live stream of as many games as possible. Get league to work out deals for away teams to ppv stream back home.

Reduce compensation for coaches and admins like the rest of the country. Pay for tickets anyway? Lol you don’t know how economics works?

Reduce compensation for coaches and admins like the rest of the country. Pay for tickets anyway? Lol you don’t know how economics works?

Exactly, reduce operating costs. If you can't deliver a product, you don't tell the consumer we are going to hold your money for a year until we can.

In the next 6-12 months there is going to be a lot business closings and people with reduced disposable incomes. Particularly the service and travel industry. I'm in Healthcare and we have an indefinite hold on filling existing positions nevermind opening new, first time in 10 years. New graduates are walking into a terrible time.

Exactly, reduce operating costs. If you can't deliver a product, you don't tell the consumer we are going to hold your money for a year until we can.

In the next 6-12 months there is going to be a lot business closings and people with reduced disposable incomes. Particularly the service and travel industry. I'm in Healthcare and we have an indefinite hold on filling existing positions nevermind opening new, first time in 10 years. New graduates are walking into a terrible time.
I guarantee you that if the season is cancelled or played with no fans in the stands, that UCFAA will call all season ticket holders and ask if they would like to use their payment for 2020 tickets as a deposit for 2021. I will say yes. It’s a short term interest free loan to UCFAA.

And to the people saying “I’m not paying if UCFAA can’t deliver a product”, you know that a good portion of your ticket cost is a donation right? You’re literally paying for nothing

Reactions: JAFFX2
I guarantee you that if the season is cancelled or played with no fans in the stands, that UCFAA will call all season ticket holders and ask if they would like to use their payment for 2020 tickets as a deposit for 2021. I will say yes. It’s a short term interest free loan to UCFAA.

And to the people saying “I’m not paying if UCFAA can’t deliver a product”, you know that a good portion of your ticket cost is a donation right? You’re literally paying for nothing

Correct, professional sports teams and airlines are doing this. With incentives, either 10% credit or flat additional credit amount. While certain fans look at it as their duty to contribute to the university not all does, and some are facing financial situations where they are not in position to loan money.

LOL, ask season tickets to get nothing for their money? This is insane man.
Not everyone will do it, but those that are financially able to and don’t want to see our program fold will give a one time donation to keep us afloat. It’s not a requirement but an ask that has some benefit if you’re looking to upgrade seats, get a better parking spot, etc. You’d be surprised to see what a real supporter is willing to do for the program.

Why would you be against that when there’s likely no consequences if you don’t give a donation?

If I prepaid I would have no problem postponing it until next year. I doubt we have to worry about that though.

Reactions: ahabmw
Close all sports programs, problem solved, and students no longer have to pay extra for their education with athletic fees.

Pay-per-view live stream of as many games as possible. Get league to work out deals for away teams to ppv stream back home.
We don’t own the streaming rights anymore. It’s a part of ESPN+ inventory.

ADVERTISEMENT