ADVERTISEMENT

Huepel cost UCF Game.

UKnight

Four-Star Recruit
Apr 1, 2004
Several questionable play calls killed drives in the second half. He could have done a much better job with the play calling.

I’m upset that he didn’t seem to
be ready to adjust offensively in the first half to get the offense going.

This was his worse performance during a game since he’s been here.

Time to reset, I hope our boys can pull it together and go 1 and 0 next week. Long season ahead. I’d like to see Mack get back in the QB race as well.

Go knights, Charge On!

My Oleary ptsd was kicking in, having flashbacks to bad old days when it was "halfback dive" up the middle for three straight plays into a brick wall.

Pitts DB's were non existent. Should have been airing it out instead of trying to grind the clock off with run plays that weren't working.
their DBs were dropping like flies bc of injuries and we bailed them out with the Dive BS

Reactions: Shark59
O-Line not controlling the line of scrimmage will make anybody's playcalling look bad. End of the day, we still put up 34. That should be enough to win a football game.

We certainly didn't put up 34 because of stellar play calling, as a matter of fact if it wasn't for a spectacular punt return the streak would have been broken.....

Technically we had only 27 offensive points

Otis had a punt return

We certainly didn't put up 34 because of stellar play calling, as a matter of fact if it wasn't for a spectacular punt return the streak would have been broken.....
At this point after this loss, it’s fair to say one can have a little doubt about Heupel

It wasnt his best game for sure, but really allowing Pitt's anemic offense score 35 points is much more egregious in my eyes. Not protecting the true freshman QB another factor more responsible for the loss then the play calling.

It wasnt his best game for sure, but really allowing Pitt's anemic offense score 35 points is much more egregious in my eyes. Not protecting the true freshman QB another factor more responsible for the loss then the play calling.

Do you honestly believe that our offensive game plan best utilized our team speed???? Certainly many contributing factors but do you honestly believe that running up the middle into the teeth of a very strong D line and going deep consistently gave us a good chance of winning this game?????

Too many short drives contributed to the Pittsburgh offensive success. Time of possession discrepancy seemed large

Reactions: GoKnights2003
Do you honestly believe that our offensive game plan best utilized our team speed???? Certainly many contributing factors but do you honestly believe that running up the middle into the teeth of a very strong D line and going deep consistently gave us a good chance of winning this game?????
We could've done more to get the running backs involved in the passing game. With the way our o-line was getting wooped. The running game was not happening any way we would've tried to get it going. I think the deep ball game was very effective. Not sure how you could say it wasnt. Would've been even more effective without drops and if Jacob Harris could get feet in bounds.

Hopefully CJH is lurking this board and taking notes......

:joy:
the worst part is that with Uconn it won't matter so it's a wait and see till Heup sees a DLine and speed on defense. We gave the critics fuel that said that 'week in and out' by today's performance. It's not fair but this crap will never end while UCF is in this conference, I think it's almost better to lose to an AAC West team vs any of our OOC opponents. Perception runs this corrupt sport.

the worst part is that with Uconn it won't matter so it's a wait and see till Heup sees a DLine and speed on defense. We gave the critics fuel that said that 'week in and out' by today's performance. It's not fair but this crap will never end while UCF is in this conference, I think it's almost better to lose to an AAC West team vs any of our OOC opponents. Perception runs this corrupt sport.
It’s well known that the main differences in G5 to P5 schools are in the lines. Until we get into a P5 conference, we won’t have the talent and depth. Therefore, we have to utilize our speed and Heupel tried to go toe to toe in the run game. Deep passes hit their mark often, but we gave up 6 sacks with pass attempts that needed more time to develop

Yes, there are the Marylands and the Stanfords that maybe that will work, but when you go up against LSU and Pittsburgh, it will not. We would see a worse performance vs the Gators who have a defensive line and DBs who can play.

Defensively, our pass rush was nonexistent

Were we exposed today? Yes we were

It’s well known that the main differences in G5 to P5 schools are in the lines. Until we get into a P5 conference, we won’t have the talent and depth. Therefore, we have to utilize our speed and Heupel tried to go toe to toe in the run game. Deep passes hit their mark often, but we gave up 6 sacks with pass attempts that needed more time to develop

Yes, there are the Marylands and the Stanfords that maybe that will work, but when you go up against LSU and Pittsburgh, it will not. We would see a worse performance vs the Gators who have a defensive line and DBs who can play.

Defensively, our pass rush was nonexistent

Were we exposed today? Yes we were
at least LSU had more talent than us, Pitt's DLine won the day but we had advantages in other areas.

I agree with you about the Gators, I hate them but they always have a good DLine and Defensive backs. It's the one consistent thing about their Program even if their QB sucks. We gotta play chess vs these teams & not think we can out physical them with under sized RBs

That and the 2 picks in Pitt territory. One in the end zone.
I feel like we are all jumping ship to quickly here. We had a chance to win that game by 10 points. We just didn’t play a good game today and lost a heartbreaker. It’s happens...

I’m kind of actually tired of the UCF media local media buying into this cartel talk. They have been asking our coaches and players a lot about the disrespect from the national football media and like we should be so grateful to play the likes of Standford and Pitt. Stop asking our players about do we belong amongst the best teams in the country. Yes we do, we are one of the best teams in country still.

I want our team and players to be confident in our identity. I want our coaches and players to start saying that we believe we have a P5 level program and we have proven it on the field. And UCF doesn’t have to go undefeated every year as a requirement to be worthy of being called a P5 level program. If that were the case 60% of teams in Major conference should be relegated.

As DW has said we are building a powerhouse and we as team and fanbase can’t let the media or other fan bases get in our heads. We expect to win that’s why we need to push we are a P5 level program.

We hung a National Championship Banner in our stadium and now we are going to back down and go run and hide. Huepel is acting scared and the players followed his lead in the Pitt game. He wasn’t confident. Huepel didn’t have plan B, C D today on offense. He and Libby have been telling us that all the QB are talented and they have faith in all of them. Why didn’t we see more of BW with the option game today. BW still could have made big plays down the field also with his arm. Huepel wasn’t prepared to take back control of this game. And I honestly believe we had the personnel to do it he just didn’t prepare for those scenarios in this game.

I don’t want to hear nothing else about disrespect or a chip on our shoulder. Players should just say we train hard, study our opponents and we expect to win the game.

UCF and local media guys and gals. Stop talking to our coaches and players like we should be so grateful or humbled by playing teams in Major Conferences. We have played big teams for years and beat them. You are part of the problem as well. Our guys need to be focused on the game, ask football on the field questions. Not stuff that causes controversy or helps you get clicks. Let the National media do that. Don’t do that to our guys in local coaches and players interviews.

I’ve listened to the Boise Media and they don’t ask their coach and players these kind of questions. Does Boise belong and do they feel pressure to win. They talk to them like they are a P5 level program. Talk about the match ups, environment, strategy, individual player development, health of the player, etc.

Our local and UCF media can do better as well.

At least reviewing the offensive film won't take long this week. I know these coaches are way smarter than me, but we all knew they would run up the middle on crucial short yardage plays and we all knew it wouldn't work. Yes, it worked once, but how many times did it fail? How does a coach justify that play calling?

At least reviewing the offensive film won't take long this week. I know these coaches are way smarter than me, but we all knew they would run up the middle on crucial short yardage plays and we all knew it wouldn't work. Yes, it worked once, but how many times did it fail? How does a coach justify that play calling?
Was clear from my living room our oline wasn't making any holes. I can't explain it. Especially after the LSU game.

How long have we been saying this?

Don’t you know that we are softening up the defense!! Damn you!! :joy:

Reactions: AAC6800 and JAFFX2
Head slap, forgot and guess I am as hard headed as Huep!
Can’t use something to soften something else if it doesn’t work

When’s the last time the running game was this putrid? We have 4 stud backs

We were too vanilla when we weren’t winning the line of scrimmage

Reactions: ahabmw
We hung a National Championship Banner in our stadium and now we are going to back down and go run and hide. Huepel is acting scared and the players followed his lead in the Pitt game. He wasn’t confident.

Two things:

1) UCF winning culture is still relatively young. When championship teams like Alabama and Oklahoma get to the fourth quarter in tough games, they don't panic. They buckle up and say, "Damn, it's past time to put these jokers away!!!" If Heupel can man-up and the winning continues, that day will eventually come.

2) Remember, Heupel wasn't part of that National Championship banner that hangs in the Bounce House.

And yet we put up 34 and could have had 13-17 more if we just executed like we did vs Stanford. Just off the top of my head we threw a pick in the end zone that at the least should have been 3 points maybe 7. We threw a pick when Gabriel tried to get off a throw under heavy pressure after a long Killins run got us deep into their territory. Should have been at least a 3 point drive. If Davis comes down with the TD where he got 2 hands on it to end the first half that’s another 4 points. Plus the 3 that we could have had but opted to go for it on 4th. Give credit where credit is due. Pitt d line was able overwhelm our offensive line and they jumped out to a 21 point lead which was the difference. Pitt got lots of other breaks like UCF receivers just out of bounds, a recovery of their own fumble when several players had a shot at it, etc. they seemed to want it more and sometimes that is the difference.

yeah if u rewatch it 1 of the 2 INTs was on DG. Harris was at fault for the 2nd one and when u add him not being able to stay inbounds it was a rough day for him. Really miss Snelson in the WR rotation
Didn’t he get hit as he was throwing in the first one?

It’s tough to go on the road and beat a good team. Even in 2017 we had struggles with Navy and SMU but were able to pull them out late. Last year obviously had the tough one vs Memphis. If we were going to choose a game to lose this season this was the one. It sucks because we had many opportunities to put up more points and in the end it came down to a single play and they made it. Still a lot to look forward to this year. Still have the 30 point streak at 30 games, 18 game conference winning streak, and 17 game home winning streak going. Need to put this one behind us. Heupel hasn’t really had to step back and reflect on a loss like this yet and hopefully can adjust, whether that is play calling or allowing DG more freedom for different passes and runs. It may not matter again for a while playing in the AAC as we won’t face a defense like Pitt again. I wonder how much of the lack of QB runs is DGs strength being just a true freshman. He looks like a kid compared to Wimbush or even Mack.

What were people’s opinions of the timeout with 50 seconds left before the 4th down? I was fine with it as it allowed us a chance to get the ball back

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT