ADVERTISEMENT

Huepel cost UCF Game.

Yeah his arm was hit. People thought he should have seen the hit and just taken the sack
It wasn’t a blindside hit. There was pressure coming off the left side. Yeah he should have seen it, but he’s a freshman who hasn’t faced that kind of pressure before. He will learn.

What were people’s opinions of the timeout with 50 seconds left before the 4th down? I was fine with it as it allowed us a chance to get the ball back
They called back to back timeouts when Pitt wasn’t in a hurry. They helped them. Should have kicked the FG to go up 6 with more time left on clock. They didn’t , went for it and made the first down. But then decided to not go for it on same drive when closer to end zone. If you go for it first time you go for it again. If you don’t get it at least you took more time off and pinned them deeper. Those timeouts helped Pitt. We needed to make them take their last one first. I think they run out of time if we don’t take our 2 timeouts.

O-Line not controlling the line of scrimmage will make anybody's playcalling look bad. End of the day, we still put up 34. That should be enough to win a football game.
No OLine or QB can succeed against a7 man blitz when the play call is a run up the middle or a deep pass. The well recognized play call for such a blitz is a quick slant, or quick drag across the middle,or any other quick pass to the area that the blitzing linebackers are vacating. Unfortunately, we didn't take advantage of that opportunity.

Reactions: AAC6800
UCF ran a RB screen the first drive. It lost 5 yards. UCF ran a slant on first down the play before the INT in the end zone but the ball was thrown behind Davis. UCF ran a comeback route the next drive that was poorly thrown. You know what was working? The go route. Pitt was playing press man. Daring us to beat them one on one deep and for the most part we did. There were some issues with sideline awareness or we score a bit more. The plays that everyone is always clamoring for are the plays that were not working against this defensive scheme.

Sounds like Jacob Harris’ inexperience as a WR bs a quality team didn’t help us yesterday

Just over 3:30 to go in the third, UCF set up a screen but the pass was off. Next play was a slant that was too high. Next play sack.

4th quarter 10:45 to go WR quick screen on 1st gets 2 yards. WR quick screen gets 3 yards. Then a go route to Nixon for 50. Then WR screen for 5. Run up the middle for 3.5. Gabriel throws too high for Hescock after escaping pressure. Probably could have run for the first. 4th and just under 2 and UCF runs it. Pitt dialed up a run blitz on that side and stops us.

Fourth quarter. A little over 8 to go. Run with McCrae gets 3. Go route to Nixon a bit underthrown and then dropped. Sticks comeback route to Nixon caught just short of the first down (poor spot). McCrae runs for a first down on 4th. Seam route to Harris who looked open but it was incomplete. Seam route to Nixon complete for a big gain. McCrae runs for 5 but called back for holding. First and 20 Harris runs free but throw leads him out of bounds. Should have been the sealing TD. Second and 20 try it again but this time Harris steps out early. 3rd down and 20 they hit Gabe over the middle for 13. Now kick the field goal. Where was the bad play call?

Pitt had been stopping the run up the middle the whole dang game
Fourth quarter. A little over 8 to go. Run with McCrae gets 3. Go route to Nixon a bit underthrown and then dropped. Sticks comeback route to Nixon caught just short of the first down (poor spot). McCrae runs for a first down on 4th. Seam route to Harris who looked open but it was incomplete. Seam route to Nixon complete for a big gain. McCrae runs for 5 but called back for holding. First and 20 Harris runs free but throw leads him out of bounds. Should have been the sealing TD. Second and 20 try it again but this time Harris steps out early. 3rd down and 20 they hit Gabe over the middle for 13. Now kick the field goal. Where was the bad play call?

The bad play-call was back at the 4th and 2. That was the critical part of the game. Pitt had been stopping the run up the middle the whole game. Any run to the right side with space for McRae or Killins picks it up b/c Pitt sold out on the middle. In fact on the 4th and less than a yard I was appalled that Heupel also called a run up the middle that they were lucky to get.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Pitt had been stopping the run up the middle the whole dang game

The bad play-call was back at the 4th and 2. That was the critical part of the game. Pitt had been stopping the run up the middle the whole game. Any run to the right side with space for McRae or Killins picks it up b/c Pitt sold out on the middle. In fact on the 4th and less than a yard I was appalled that Heupel also called a run up the middle that they were lucky to get.
UCF ran for 3+ yards 2 plays earlier. They were confident they could pick up 2 and usually do. Pitt run blitzed off that side. It was a good defensive call. At any rate that is one single play that if our best RB picks up one more yard nobody questions.

Our offensive and defensive lines were exposed. Our skillplayers at RB, WR, corners, etc I believe are as good as any in College Football. Both our lines are good in AAC play and mid-lower P5 but can not handle above average P5 programs. Eventually they will wear down and be ineffective to close the game. In terms play calling: it’s obvious Heupel has NO idea how to make offensive adjustments during the game. It was obvious to everyone watching what would work and what wasn’t. In my opinion, he seems stubborn, set in his ways and will not admit fault for his coaching shortcomings. (Just watch his press conferences)

Our offensive and defensive lines were exposed. Our skillplayers at RB, WR, corners, etc I believe are as good as any in College Football. Both our lines are good in AAC play and mid-lower P5 but can not handle above average P5 programs. Eventually they will wear down and be ineffective to close the game. In terms play calling: it’s obvious Heupel has NO idea how to make offensive adjustments during the game. It was obvious to everyone watching what would work and what wasn’t. In my opinion, he seems stubborn, set in his ways and will not admit fault for his coaching shortcomings. (Just watch his press conferences)
Spot on. He’s so freaking stubborn. He shuts down every question and is so short answered

Honestly, someone from the media eventually will call him out on it and there will be a confrontation

Bank it!

Our offensive and defensive lines were exposed. Our skillplayers at RB, WR, corners, etc I believe are as good as any in College Football. Both our lines are good in AAC play and mid-lower P5 but can not handle above average P5 programs.
This has been going on forever and will NEVER END without a P5 invite

Just call slants, outs, curls anything other than a freaking go route. Most uncreative play calling I have ever seen. Coaching staff looked like a deer in headlights

UCF ran a RB screen the first drive. It lost 5 yards. UCF ran a slant on first down the play before the INT in the end zone but the ball was thrown behind Davis. UCF ran a comeback route the next drive that was poorly thrown. You know what was working? The go route. Pitt was playing press man. Daring us to beat them one on one deep and for the most part we did. There were some issues with sideline awareness or we score a bit more. The plays that everyone is always clamoring for are the plays that were not working against this defensive scheme.
Also our coaches watch film. If they see that Pitt stops those plays routinely, they won’t call them much. Players ran those routes. If they didn’t get the right coverage, it wasn’t going to be thrown.

On the punt block, people were saying we were lined up heavy to the left like our punter was going to rugby style kick to the left. He didn’t and a guy on the right side of line was unblocked

Elarbee needs to teach the OL how to cut block bigger defensive players. There's more than one way to block a player. Watch some Army film. Where did the QB pitch option go. Did Frost take it with him. More creativity needed.

Reactions: KnightNite
Just call slants, outs, curls anything other than a freaking go route. Most uncreative play calling I have ever seen. Coaching staff looked like a deer in headlights
We called those all day. You just forgot because none were successful. The go route was successful al day. The only time they stopped it was drops and stepping out of bounds.

Reactions: Knight_Light
Heupel is a young coach he is going to learn a lot from this game. Yes he could have called a better game. For the life of me I am not sure why we tried to run up the middle on 4th down when Pitt was winning the line of scrimmage. I am still happy that Heupel is at UCF. :sunglasses:

We called those all day. You just forgot because none were successful. The go route was successful al day. The only time they stopped it was drops and stepping out of bounds.
Does he think all 5 guys run the go route? That’s the matchup that we liked.

We'd be able to convert more first downs instead of going 3 and out when we miss on the deep ball 3 times in a row. I can't be the only one here that is getting tired of going for the homerun everytime we drop back for a pass

I am not a big fan of the deep ball on every possession. Yes you got to keep the defense honest and take advantage of matchup. I would rather watch them play to move the sticks:sunglasses:

if the deep ball is all we have going for us, then you gotta keep going to that well until they stop it. jacob harris not knowing where he is on a football field is pretty weird though. i guess he is new to the game, usually guys like that end up on the lines, not at skill positions.

Heupel is a young coach he is going to learn a lot from this game. Yes he could have called a better game. For the life of me I am not sure why we tried to run up the middle on 4th down when Pitt was winning the line of scrimmage. I am still happy that Heupel is at UCF. :sunglasses:
Heupel called plays for the most productive offense in the SEC for two years before his two years here. He must be a big dummy.

Reactions: Knight_Light
they seemed to want it more and sometimes that is the difference.

Pitt was playing like they wanted it so bad, likely pissed from the loss to Penn St.
This was the perfect example of a trap game.

The team got punched in the mouth and didn't know how to respond, when they finally got it together we took a 10 point lead. What was inexcusable was everything after that, especially the play calling and the penalties. Christ we basically gifted them a touchdown that one drive.

And he will be fine again vs UConn on Saturday. Just like at Missouri.

Until he has to play a real defense

He’s 0-2 vs real defenses
I'd count Cincy as a real defense last year. Finished top 10 I think. 1-2 but that still is not good. He needs to work on his adjustments

"I get to pad stats vs IAA tier Uconn, playcalling questions will go away" #Power6
hi-res-388e14290053190bf8a7d228450781ae_crop_north.jpg

1-0*

Before the 2018 season I looked at Heups W-L record from 2017. I found the big yard games came against teams who were terrible or mediocre at best. The stats that made his the most potent offense in the SEC were extremely misleading. Then, I thought he would keep 50% of Frosts playbook and add to it but the LSU game made me think he won't change. After this last Pitt game I am sure he won't change.
That said, I think Heup is still a phenomenal coach. I like his offense. His philosophy, mentality, and approach to training are elite. I'm 100% sure he prepares our guys minds and bodies better than Frost, Oleary, or anybody else we can get. Criticism is great but I cannot support people tearing him down.
I still hope he adjusts playcalling and game management, and I'm sure he will at least a little bit. Sometimes it takes a big gut check to change you. Was this game a big enough check? We will find out.

Reactions: Finance2000Knight
ADVERTISEMENT