ADVERTISEMENT

Huepel cost UCF Game.

Personally I think we should fire Heupel, pay a big buyout and get another coach off the scrap heap. He makes me yearn for my long lost lover frost who put up 38 with a defensive touchdown vs Maryland and 31 at Navy and SMU. Clearly he is an offensive wizard that made this team which is why Nebraska is currently humming on all cylinders and not struggling with teams like Colorado and Illinois.

Again, this is demonstrably false. The go route was the only thing generating much offense all game though. I’ll give you that.
All I'm saying is that we can't rely on this play. It takes too long to develop and leads to sacks especially when your o-line is getting manhandled every play

Personally I think we should fire Heupel, pay a big buyout and get another coach off the scrap heap. He makes me yearn for my long lost lover frost who put up 38 with a defensive touchdown vs Maryland and 31 at Navy and SMU. Clearly he is an offensive wizard that made this team which is why Nebraska is currently humming on all cylinders and not struggling with teams like Colorado and Illinois.
Wrong. Love when fans aren’t allowed to criticize anything in UCF neverneverland

I’m a loyal paying fan and I’ll criticize whoever the hell I want to and anyone who has a problem with that can go to USF

NGEbraska has issues

We have issues

And he will be fine again vs UConn on Saturday. Just like at Missouri.

Until he has to play a real defense

He’s 0-2 vs real defenses
Someone said they played defense in the SEC those two years. I dunno. Heard it second hand. If he would just call those touchdown plays every time things would be better.

And he will be fine again vs UConn on Saturday. Just like at Missouri.

Until he has to play a real defense

He’s 0-2 vs real defenses
And has scored 30 points in 17 straight. UCF legitimately would have had 55 points vs Pitt if they executed and avoided turnovers and had awareness of where the sideline was.

Reactions: Knight Strength
vs Pitt if they executed and avoided turnovers and had awareness of where the sideline was.
And who’s fault is that?

He basically relied on a walk-on wide receiver

We have possibly 2 NFL guys as the alternative

Additionally, the personal foul penalties are coaching and the turnovers were from his guy DG. Probably freshman mistakes

Fair criticism? Some of it

And who’s fault is that?

He basically relied on a walk-on wide receiver

We have possibly 2 NFL guys as the alternative

Additionally, the personal foul penalties are coaching and the turnovers were from his guy DG. Probably freshman mistakes

Fair criticism? Some of it
Huh? UCF had 2 drives that could have been touchdowns save for millimeters on the sidelines (Gabe Davis at end of first half and Harris twice on a drive late). UCF would have had to do nothing at all different but dumb luck to have 45 points instead. This notwithstanding the poor decisions or execution on throwing 2 interceptions inside the opponents 30 (one in the end zone) and coming away with zip. I take it this is all heupels fault along with the punt block TD and 45 yards of defensive penalties on another of their TD drives. Come on man every break went Pitts way (down to a roll of a punt at the 1 into the end zone or a play that looked like a potential fumble return for TD ruled incomplete) Pitt played pretty much flawless and UCF played poorly and even after all that we were in position to win in the final minute but were upset by a trick play on 4th down.

Orange. Meet apple.
Tell me one good defense that he scored against in 2017?

The Gators who gave up?

And that’s with more even line talent in the same conference and an NFL QB

Last edited:
Huh? UCF had 2 drives that could have been touchdowns save for millimeters on the sidelines (Gabe Davis at end of first half and Harris twice on a drive late). UCF would have had to do nothing at all different but dumb luck to have 45 points instead. This notwithstanding the poor decisions or execution on throwing 2 interceptions inside the opponents 30 (one in the end zone) and coming away with zip. I take it this is all heupels fault along with the punt block TD and 45 yards of defensive penalties on another of their TD drives. Come on man every break went Pitts way (down to a roll of a punt at the 1 into the end zone or a play that looked like a potential fumble return for TD ruled incomplete) Pitt played pretty much flawless and UCF played poorly and even after all that we were in position to win in the final minute but were upset by a trick play on 4th down.
Look, we lost a game that we SHOULD have won IMO. That’s on a coach. He WAS outcoached by an average coach IMO

If you don’t think that he should be criticized at all, then that’s your right

Reactions: AAC6800
Tell me one good defense that he scored against in 2017?

The Gators who gave up?
Cincinnati was better than any defense Frost faced over two years. They were 8th in scoring defense last year. Frost 2017 also face pretty much all shitty defenses too (only one top 40 defense). So what’s your point? That it’s easier to score on bad defenses? No shit Sherlock.

Cincinnati was better than any defense Frost faced over two years. They were 8th in scoring defense last year. Frost 2017 also face pretty much all shitty defenses too (only one top 40 defense). So what’s your point? That it’s easier to score on bad defenses? No shit Sherlock.
My point is that he can’t and won’t adjust to a good defense with superior line play

He’s stubborn

Can’t compare Frost.

Frost beat Auburn, right?

Cincinnati isn’t in they same world as Auburn

However, that’s your comparison, not mine

Reactions: ucffan642
My point is that he can’t and won’t adjust to a good defense with superior line play

He’s stubborn

Can’t compare Frost.

Frost beat Auburn, right?

Cincinnati isn’t in they same world as Auburn

However, that’s your comparison, not mine
So none of the 31 unanswered points after DG got shellshocked early and turned it over twice inside the Pitt 30 were due to adjustments? Interesting analysis.

some UCF fans get way too upset when there are some of us that still want to say positive things about Scott Frost.

You can argue that the sample size is too small to make a final verdict on either Frost or Heup as a Head Coach/Program Builder but I do not think it's very controversial to say that Frost was a better playcaller and utilized our natural speed advantage to the outside better.

And if you are going to nitpick his struggles at Nebraska, well how do you think Heup would do up there with that same talent?

The fact that this was even a game when our lines were absolutely dominated the entire game is a testament to coaching to our strengths and beating Pitt deep.

some UCF fans get way too upset when there are some of us that still want to say positive things about Scott Frost.

You can argue that the sample size is too small to make a final verdict on either Frost or Heup as a Head Coach/Program Builder but I do not think it's very controversial to say that Frost was a better playcaller and utilized our natural speed advantage to the outside better.

And if you are going to nitpick his struggles at Nebraska, well how do you think Heup would do up there with that same talent?
Frost cost us several games in 2016 due to poor play-calling. He had some questionable calls in 2017 as well but got bailed out from them. Those seem to have carried over to Nebraska. I appreciate what Frost did, but he was not without his mistakes. Heupel is 15-2 as a coach and people are calling for his head thinking someone is going to follow him up with better results. It’s pretty ridiculous.

Who is calling for his head? Questioning playcalling in a tight game and how he reacts to those questions can be discussed

and it's not worth getting in a back and forth on CSF but using 2016 games? You do realize he took over an 0-12 Program and completely flipped to a different system that most of our linemen didn't fit? The situation he walked into was a tad bit different than Heup who was given McKenzie Milton, Otis, Snelson, Killins,(all Frost recruits) & a good core to hit the ground running.

Last edited:
Frost cost us several games in 2016 due to poor play-calling. He had some questionable calls in 2017 as well but got bailed out from them. Those seem to have carried over to Nebraska. I appreciate what Frost did, but he was not without his mistakes. Heupel is 15-2 as a coach and people are calling for his head thinking someone is going to follow him up with better results. It’s pretty ridiculous.
First of all, I never said Frost was better. Just different

Second of all, this isn’t my thread, so obviously some fans are concerned. There are coaches who could go 15-2 with this team
Win games your supposed to win and an occasional one you’re not supposed to and I’ll be the first one to praise him

Just for the record, I’m not one of those fans calling for his head, but his stubbornness will come back to haunt him unless he’s dynamic
So far he hasn’t been

Plenty of talk in the dungeon. At least 3 threads on Heupel including one titled fire heupel.
That’s ridiculous. It’s too soon for that crap
Honestly, I’ll give him another loss this year
Just want to see positive adjustments vs teams that have better lines and to use our playmakers in space better.

Not a lot to ask

Just wait until the defense adjust to the bombs leading to continuous 3 and outs and interceptions. The tape is out there now

Just want to see positive adjustments vs teams that have better lines and to use our playmakers in space better.

Not a lot to ask

Just wait until the defense adjust to the bombs leading to continuous 3 and outs and interceptions. The tape is out there now
UCF threw it deep 11 times on 42 passes and completed 5. It is a decent percentage, but certainly not the only pass plays designed. Also the tape has been out for weeks as this was the same type of plays that burned FAU and Stanford. This is a hallmark of this offense and Heupel has a QB that is very accurate on those passes now. It won’t be changing.

UCF threw it deep 11 times on 42 passes and completed 5. It is a decent percentage, but certainly not the only pass plays designed. Also the tape has been out for weeks as this was the same type of plays that burned FAU and Stanford. This is a hallmark of this offense and Heupel has a QB that is very accurate on those passes now. It won’t be changing.

One thing I am really struggling with is the consistent runs up the middle. The few times that he ran sweeps with AK they were very successful. Big head scratcher to me......just makes you wonder WTF is going on?

Reactions: ucffan642
Not a high percentage of the total, but 11? Wow

Since not all of them are TDs, incomplete ones often lead to 3 and outs, one pick, and the other passing calls aren’t stellar, if something doesn’t change he’s going to have more issues. That could drop to 30%.

So.., basically that’s a 42% completion rate and kills the time of possession

Wouldn’t he be better off throwing some 80-90% pass to a back in space sometimes and possibly eat up some clock or break the same big play?

Coach costs game
QB costs game
DL costs game

Guess what?
Fans not supporting costs everything

One thing I am really struggling with is the consistent runs up the middle. The few times that he ran sweeps with AK they were very successful. Big head scratcher to me......just makes you wonder WTF is going on?
UCF ran the ball only 20% of plays on the last 3 drives.

Not a high percentage of the total, but 11? Wow

Since not all of them are TDs, incomplete ones often lead to 3 and outs, one pick, and the other passing calls aren’t stellar, if something doesn’t change he’s going to have more issues. That could drop to 30%.

So.., basically that’s a 42% completion rate and kills the time of possession

Wouldn’t he be better off throwing some 80-90% pass to a back in space sometimes and possibly eat up some clock or break the same big play?
Yeah. We threw those. They weren’t successful.

UCF ran the ball only 20% of plays on the last 3 drives.

Perhaps....but on the 4th downs with 170 lb RBs we run it up the middle when it hasn't worked all game???? There had to be better options on those plays

He’s stubborn and not using our running back speed

Did he not see Otis vs FAU or on the punt return?

Otis had zero catches
Killins had zero

They both ran the ball effectively, but 14 runs between them? SMH

Take out the inside runs and they have a great average per rush

Heck, it’s a good average with those plays

McCrae was the more the sacrificial lamb up the middle this week

Perhaps....but on the 4th downs with 170 lb RBs we run it up the middle when it hasn't worked all game????
The previous several runs had gained at least 3. We had 4th and less than 2. If we throw it there (a la USF game in 2017) and it’s incomplete (a la USF game in 2017) then you have knuckleheads questioning that call. If we make it there and punch it in then it’s brilliant.

I’m done. There are clearly differences in opinions and let’s see how this all plays out

Several questionable play calls killed drives in the second half. He could have done a much better job with the play calling.

I’m upset that he didn’t seem to
be ready to adjust offensively in the first half to get the offense going.

This was his worse performance during a game since he’s been here.

Time to reset, I hope our boys can pull it together and go 1 and 0 next week. Long season ahead. I’d like to see Mack get back in the QB race as well.

Go knights, Charge On!
Certainly not one of finer game moments. I don't think we just got outplayed I believe we were out coached. Off tackle right, off tackle left get's predictable game after game and as consistently as they were stopping us for a significant part of the game, I think he should have kicked the field goal and taken what would have been almost a sure 3 points. Had he done that, I think we would have gone on to squeak out a win. That call baffled me the most. One positive is the team doesn't know the word "quit" and to be fair DG had almost no time in the pocket. What was it six sacks and an uncountable number of hurries? The beginning of the game reminded me of what happened to Stanford last week. Even you might argue Pitt seemed to want it more that us, I put more of the blame on Heup not the players.

Reactions: JAFFX2 and Ucfmikes
I’m done. There are clearly differences in opinions and let’s see how this all pans out

I'm with you, I am not gonna be convinced that the game planning and play calling was not very questionable....We can only hope that adjustments are made going forward because we will not get by just relying on tempo and talent going forward.......

Reactions: Ucfmikes

Not a lot to ask

I agree on all three points.

I'm with you, I am not gonna be convinced that the game planning and play calling was not very questionable....We can only hope that adjustments are made going forward because we will not get by just relying on tempo and talent going forward.......
And that goes for Shannon as well. He has got to come up with a way to adjust before half time! Doesn't his phone work?

Reactions: JAFFX2
ADVERTISEMENT