ADVERTISEMENT

Huepel Destroying what put us on the map

KnightsofGroveland

Five-Star Recruit
Jan 30, 2015
I realized this after reading about Fickle's turnaround of UC. He made recruiting locally a top priority and has done that with a majority of his players from Ohio.

I looked up our 2021 class and we have 1 recruit from Florida. 1. Frost built us up with Florida speed and Huepel is crapping that all away. Local kids play with an extra chip on their shoulder. Huepel is a bum and needs to go.

Would you be willing to get recruits with lower ratings and as much P5 schools in their offer list?

The defense has been the down fall in all 3 losses this year. Today was another example with over 4 minutes left and they could not get a stop. The good news they are playing young guys with potential and they have shown improvement over the last couple weeks. They need to pickup on defensive recruiting.

2018 - Ranked 11th, 1st in conference
2019 - Ranked 24th, 4th in conference
2020 - Unranked, 5th in conference (most likely)

Reactions: Endeavor.
Lists 2 2021 commitments from Florida, but yeah, I would probably be more optimistic about the future if we signed more than 2 Floridians. I hope the out-of-staters we sign are truly better than the local 3* talent, but I am skeptical.

Not Heup‘s fault that WR’s dropped passes in worst timely moments OR defensive line got manhandled at the line is scrimmage.

Reactions: SkiDog291
Anyone that takes off the black and gold glasses can see the fact that we keep getting worse and worse every year. Plenty of talent in the state, hoping Frost gets fired so we can bring him back in to capitalize on it.

Reactions: Black_Knight07
Not Heup‘s fault that WR’s dropped passes in worst timely moments OR defensive line got manhandled at the line is scrimmage.

Huepel's fault that we were constantly in high pressure downs where those drops were magnified. But if you want to go that route...who recruited those players that are dropping passes?

Reactions: JAFFX2
Yes, really good coaches win with whoever's players. Yes, Heup won well with Frost's players. But as Heup gets more of his own recruits, the more we see "UCF annihilates team without pulse" followed by "UCF loses 'heartbreaker' to good team". With whomever was coaching O'Leary and Frost players, UCF won a lot of conference championships and big games over good teams. Not so with Hype-LLL.

Frost recruited Marlon Williams who dropped the pass that led to the INT which was the game changer.
It's not the offense 33 points is enough to win any game. More emphasis should be put on the defense Finally, yes not sure why they did not kick the field goal in what was going to be a close game. That's on the coaches.😎

Reactions: ucfjosh2000
It's not the offense 33 points is enough to win any game. More emphasis should be put on the defense Finally, yes not sure why they did not kick the field goal in what was going to be a close game. That's on the coaches.😎
I mean, I don't get people saying don't kick because the kicker doesn't have confidence. I get he's new and may struggle but you can't be a good kicker....without kicking the ball. You can't be a good QB if you're on the sideline holding a clip board, etc... Eventually, you have to send him out and let him do his thing, good or bad.

He's 10-15 so far this season. 37-39 on extra point. 10-13 within 40 yards. 0-2 outside of 40 yards. The 4th and 5 we went for was from the 23, which is a 40 yard FG attempt.

I mean, I don't get people saying don't kick because the kicker doesn't have confidence. I get he's new and may struggle but you can't be a good kicker....without kicking the ball. You can't be a good QB if you're on the sideline holding a clip board, etc... Eventually, you have to send him out and let him do his thing, good or bad.

He's 10-15 so far this season. 37-39 on extra point. 10-13 within 40 yards. 0-2 outside of 40 yards. The 4th and 5 we went for was from the 23, which is a 40 yard FG attempt.
He is a low percentage kicker at the 40 yard range. He has missed at least 2 field goals of extra point distance and in fact extra points. One of his misses inside the 40 was from 38. I’d say 35-40 is a 50/50 proposition and beyond 40 even lower. Issue isn’t leg strength it’s pulling kicks. Same reason he kicked it out of bounds twice.

I just hope Dillon Gabriel doesn’t get tempted to transfer. From what I have seen our fanbase seems to really not appreciate how good he is with idiotic posts and tweets about him becoming a backup to KZ in his 3rd year. You give DG those 17-18 weapons on O....

Reactions: Ucfmikes
We will be lucky if we can keep Coach Hype over the next two years. The next two years are going to be good for UCF, and other Schools are going to want our high scoring offenses.

We are so blessed as Knight Nation. We have a winning season, the team never gives up and we are going to a bowl.

Reminds me when folks were booing KZ at the cure bowl game. KZ was running for his life and never gave up. :chairshot:

Next game up.
Charge on!

We will be lucky if we can keep Coach Hype over the next two years. The next two years are going to be good for UCF, and other Schools are going to want our high scoring offenses.

We are so blessed as Knight Nation. We have a winning season, the team never gives up and we are going to a bowl.

Reminds me when folks were booing KZ at the cure bowl game. KZ was running for his life and never gave up. :chairshot:

Next game up.
Charge on!

If we keep Heup two more years we will be a basketball school. He can't coach, cant recruit, has no discipline. It's time we bring in a real coach. This is not KZ maturing from year 1 to year 2, this is more akin to how Kruzek ran our program to the ground.

Last edited:
If we keep Heup two more years we will be a basketball school. He can't coach, cant recruit, has no discipline. It's time we bring in a real coach. This is not KZ maturing from year 1 to year 2, this is more akin to how Kruzek ran our program to the ground.
You sound like a Steelers fan. Fire Tomlin he sucks. Can’t win SB every year, he sucks. Can’t win with a 2nd abd 3rd string QB, he sucks. They are 10-0 now. Everyone is quiet.

Reactions: OvilleNative
You sound like a Steelers fan. Fire Tomlin he sucks. Can’t win SB every year, he sucks. Can’t win with a 2nd abd 3rd string QB, he sucks. They are 10-0 now. Everyone is quiet.
Yes, one could argue that the first years of Tomlin and Heupel were similar and that the third years of Tomlin and Heupel were similar, but their second years were decidedly different. Since Heupel will almost certainly coach UCF in 2021, I'll be ecstatic if he matches Tomlin's fourth year, but I quite frankly see too many negative trends from 2017 to 2018 to 2019 to 2020 to believe a Tomlin-type Year 4 is even a remote possibility for Heupel.

Yes, one could argue that the first years of Tomlin and Heupel were similar and that the third years of Tomlin and Heupel were similar, but their second years were decidedly different. Since Heupel will almost certainly coach UCF in 2021, I'll be ecstatic if he matches Tomlin's fourth year, but I quite frankly see too many negative trends from 2017 to 2018 to 2019 to 2020 to believe a Tomlin-type Year 4 is even a remote possibility for Heupel.
Tomlin has been there 14 years but similarities yes. NFL should give longer leash and has. But complaining about the coaches when it’s execution. Tomlin still doing the same things. Won and lost a SB. Is 10-0 now. Stars align for certain teams. Cincy turn now. Hopefully ours is near. Best bet is they win NY6 Bowl and Ridder is NFL draft worthy. Burrows is out for year. Lucky for him it happened while he is on contract and not in school.

JH is recruiting everywhere but FL. Looks like we got our 2nd OL commit from GERMANY??? Who's paying for this wall?

• Haha
Reactions: Ucfmikes
I don't think anyone is going to "complain" about where Heupel recruits as long as UCF is in AAC-title contention.

"Florida" has been a fertile recruiting ground for decades. UCF is in Florida. Why is Heup not recruiting Florida for his #6/#7 AAC squad?

If they help Heup win the AAC -- like O'Leary, Frost, and even Heup himself (with Frost and O'Leary players) did -- and behave like decent human beings and student-athletes, Heup can recruit Mars for all I care. But if the Martians continue UCF's glide slope to mediocrity, I will once again be upset.

Reactions: Endeavor.
ADVERTISEMENT