ADVERTISEMENT

Huepel Destroying what put us on the map

Those that are in support of Heupel is not doing it because they believe he is going to start having undefeated teams in the future. They just are fearful that the next hire will be worse.

The mentality of the program after 2017-18 was this team is to be a premier G5 team, Boise St. WIn conferences and finish ranked year after year. Now its evolving to like middle of the road P5 team, finish the season with 8-10 wins, conference championship and rank is bonus.

With lower expectations, weaker future non-conference schedules, interest from a fanbase will decrease, donations will decrease, and the possibility for the team to go back to having a cycle of a losing season increases. Lost momentum.

Those that are in support of Heupel is not doing it because they believe he is going to start having undefeated teams in the future. They just are fearful that the next hire will be worse.

The mentality of the program after 2017-18 was this team is to be a premier G5 team, Boise St. WIn conferences and finish ranked year after year. Now its evolving to like middle of the road P5 team, finish the season with 8-10 wins, conference championship and rank is bonus.

With lower expectations, weaker future non-conference schedules, interest from a fanbase will decrease, donations will decrease, and the possibility for the team to go back to having a cycle of a losing season increases. Lost momentum.
Danny White set these expectations. He has talked A LOT and set up our OOC Scheduling excuse. I don’t think placing 2nd in the East and 4th or 5th in the Conference for 2-3 years was part of his plan. You don’t talk about being a new blood breaking the postseason barrier then turn into an almost middle of the pack AAC team.

Danny White set these expectations. He has talked A LOT and set up our OOC Scheduling excuse. I don’t think placing 2nd in the East and 4th or 5th in the Conference for 2-3 years was part of his plan. You don’t talk about being a new blood breaking the postseason barrier then turn into an almost middle of the pack AAC team.

Indeed, this was not part of the plan. The catastrophic Milton injury set us back a year, so I was certainly willing to give 2019 as a mulligan for Heupel to break in his new QB, but this season's expectations were rightfully high and can only be seen as a failure. Not a firing offense at this point, but the seat is heated and Heupel has to deliver the goods in 2021.

I don’t think it’s unfair to criticize Heupel and his strategies. He has to find a way to win some of these close games. Going undefeated every year is obviously unrealistic. There are things he does that just seem stubborn. He can’t out athlete every team. If the line is struggling the answer can’t always be to use your 165lb back to help protect. It’s the refusal to utilize other strategize like a TE that is frustrating. I don’t blame him for the bad breaks like the INT. UP 14-3 and Fickel out coached him for the rest of the half. With out looking I would guess he uses 10 personnel the majority of the time with the widest WR splits you will see.

IDGAF I just want us to win Conference Titles again..... not about argue with anyone about their opinion. We can all agree that not winning Conference titles isn't good.

Reactions: mattropolis
Indeed, this was not part of the plan. The catastrophic Milton injury set us back a year, so I was certainly willing to give 2019 as a mulligan for Heupel to break in his new QB, but this season's expectations were rightfully high and can only be seen as a failure. Not a firing offense at this point, but the seat is heated and Heupel has to deliver the goods in 2021.
DW was still setting these expectations after the KZ injury and UCF has a Top 10 talent at QB as his replacement.

DW was still setting these expectations after the KZ injury and UCF has a Top 10 talent at QB as his replacement.
im confused, is DW wrong for setting these expectations? Seems like you're blaming him for being a competent AD. Should his slogan have been "UCF, the Wake Forest of the American". I mean DW walked the walk. Booster donations have been through the roof, exposure has been top tier, and that brand recognition is what he's facilitates better recruiting classes. I mean he's holding up his part of the bargain. No school plans for a downturn, you think Florida State wanted one natty and then to dissolve their program?
I guess if he was more timid and said "we are good now but please don't expect anything else going forward" would have made you happy?

Reactions: SurfaceWarrior
I believe moving on from Shannon is the easy call for Heupel. He was made to take him. His son is gone after season and no reason to stay. He isn’t getting top recruits and his defense isn’t great. Give a Heupel hire a chance before you blame him for a guy he had no input on.

The main problem is there isn’t a vast pool of proven coaches to pick from to ensure we are winning the conference and close to undefeated. And firing a coach with a 27-7 record justified or not is not going to endear us to any future candidates that we are trying to lure in. Much more likely is Shannon moves on and we shore up the defense which has really been a lot of the woes over the last 4 years.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
I realized this after reading about Fickle's turnaround of UC. He made recruiting locally a top priority and has done that with a majority of his players from Ohio.

I looked up our 2021 class and we have 1 recruit from Florida. 1. Frost built us up with Florida speed and Huepel is crapping that all away. Local kids play with an extra chip on their shoulder. Huepel is a bum and needs to go.
Huep is getting worse as the years mount. Play calling is Horrible (looks like the GOL and Coack K offensive days). run up middle, run up middle, pass, punt. Ugh!

Heupel isn't terrible, hes actually pretty decent. A terrible coach is like USF where you get blown out every game. We are in every game and our offense is great, clearly he does things that work really well. In fact theres a good chance that if we had another coach that didn't have such a high powered offense, we would be losing even more than we are now. He just has to win close games, the close losses are getting redundant.

Huep is getting worse as the years mount. Play calling is Horrible (looks like the GOL and Coack K offensive days). run up middle, run up middle, pass, punt. Ugh!
Coach K called plays for Daunte and Schneider. 2 of our best 5 QBs ever. His defenses weren’t great and kids did what they wanted but his play calling wasn’t suspect. He was QB for Steelers. He knew what he was doing.

We will be lucky if we can keep Coach Hype over the next two years. The next two years are going to be good for UCF, and other Schools are going to want our high scoring offenses.

We are so blessed as Knight Nation. We have a winning season, the team never gives up and we are going to a bowl.

Reminds me when folks were booing KZ at the cure bowl game. KZ was running for his life and never gave up. :chairshot:

Next game up.
Charge on!
What makes you think things will improve (besides Dillon improving with age)? We're getting worse every year with Heup

I mean his play calling vs Cincy was much better this year than 2019. It’s not really debatable. Red zone in particular we scored touchdowns on 4/5 possessions and the 1 field goal was as time expired on the half not due to being stopped. Cincy offense just kept UCF off the field.

Complete falicy about Boise State. We’re a better program and have played many, many tougher opponents, mostly on the road. Do I need to post my side-by-side comparison again???

im confused, is DW wrong for setting these expectations? Seems like you're blaming him for being a competent AD. Should his slogan have been "UCF, the Wake Forest of the American". I mean DW walked the walk. Booster donations have been through the roof, exposure has been top tier, and that brand recognition is what he's facilitates better recruiting classes. I mean he's holding up his part of the bargain. No school plans for a downturn, you think Florida State wanted one natty and then to dissolve their program?
I guess if he was more timid and said "we are good now but please don't expect anything else going forward" would have made you happy?
No that is my response to some of the fans here and elsewhere that think we are are unreasonable on what is the Program's expectation at this point. Some seem ok with Gasparilla or Boca Bowls and 8-9 win ceilings with a normal schedule when our own Athletic Director has set it higher multiple times in public to our fanbase and the Media.

Reactions: Endeavor.
The main problem is there isn’t a vast pool of proven coaches to pick from to ensure we are winning the conference and close to undefeated. And firing a coach with a 27-7 record justified or not is not going to endear us to any future candidates that we are trying to lure in. Much more likely is Shannon moves on and we shore up the defense which has really been a lot of the woes over the last 4 years.

you're spot on the firing a coach with that kind of record. Nebraska fired a decent coach delivering 9 wins a season and took our miracle worker . So far that decision is suspect on their part. I have been a UCF fan since around 1981 when I was in middle school. I find it funny at times how some of our fans seemed entities. to the success by 17-18. For me , it was wow,this is what it feels like to be really good. 13 was special and the ball bounced our way a lot that year. I was telling my son yesterday we have a pretty good team. The ball just isn't bouncing our way. I don't blame Heuple for the interception Saturday which seemed to be the tipping point. I don't blame for recievers dropping the ball or what appears to be turnover on a fumble that Cincy magically recovers. What if the Ridder doesn't land on that fumble and we get a scoop and score at the end? Some of those are just random luck things where the ball didn't bounce our way. change any one of those plays we win. coaching , maybe Heuple should attempted the FG instead of going for it. That was his call there. That's on him. Memphis loss shouldn't have happened. That's on the D and it could be coaching. If Otis doesn't fumble , again the ball not bouncing our way kind of thing, we win . when we beat Memphis in 17 and 18 we had the ball bounced our way a few times. I look at this were we in a position to win on these losses ? yep, we were. how much of that is coaching versus just talent ? I don't know.

I know we are a G5 program trying break through and I know it's unrealistic for us to be undefeated every year. it's unrealistic by the P5 media to expect us to have to be undefeated to just get into a NY6 bowl when the P5 schools can have 2 losses ,sometimes 3 . Funny Alabama didn't have to be perfect to be considered good and yet we do. That's another story. I am willing to give Heuple a few more years before I judge the guy good or bad. UXF has a good team. Our record doesn't reflect how good they really are in my opinion.

you're spot on the firing a coach with that kind of record. Nebraska fired a decent coach delivering 9 wins a season and took our miracle worker . So far that decision is suspect on their part. I have been a UCF fan since around 1981 when I was in middle school. I find it funny at times how some of our fans seemed entities. to the success by 17-18. For me , it was wow,this is what it feels like to be really good. 13 was special and the ball bounced our way a lot that year. I was telling my son yesterday we have a pretty good team. The ball just isn't bouncing our way. I don't blame Heuple for the interception Saturday which seemed to be the tipping point. I don't blame for recievers dropping the ball or what appears to be turnover on a fumble that Cincy magically recovers. What if the Ridder doesn't land on that fumble and we get a scoop and score at the end? Some of those are just random luck things where the ball didn't bounce our way. change any one of those plays we win. coaching , maybe Heuple should attempted the FG instead of going for it. That was his call there. That's on him. Memphis loss shouldn't have happened. That's on the D and it could be coaching. If Otis doesn't fumble , again the ball not bouncing our way kind of thing, we win . when we beat Memphis in 17 and 18 we had the ball bounced our way a few times. I look at this were we in a position to win on these losses ? yep, we were. how much of that is coaching versus just talent ? I don't know.

I know we are a G5 program trying break through and I know it's unrealistic for us to be undefeated every year. it's unrealistic by the P5 media to expect us to have to be undefeated to just get into a NY6 bowl when the P5 schools can have 2 losses ,sometimes 3 . Funny Alabama didn't have to be perfect to be considered good and yet we do. That's another story. I am willing to give Heuple a few more years before I judge the guy good or bad. UXF has a good team. Our record doesn't reflect how good they really are in my opinion.
We don’t have to be undefeated to get NY6 Bowl. Just be highest ranked G5.

I mean his play calling vs Cincy was much better this year than 2019. It’s not really debatable. Red zone in particular we scored touchdowns on 4/5 possessions and the 1 field goal was as time expired on the half not due to being stopped. Cincy offense just kept UCF off the field.
I would argue (respectfully) that huep's play calling did not get better this year. And, most redzone play has been NOT GOOD this year. :)

I like "the seat is heated" statement! It definitely is. Best case scenario, we kill USF and next year goes REALLY WELL imho

I realized this after reading about Fickle's turnaround of UC. He made recruiting locally a top priority and has done that with a majority of his players from Ohio.

I looked up our 2021 class and we have 1 recruit from Florida. 1. Frost built us up with Florida speed and Huepel is crapping that all away. Local kids play with an extra chip on their shoulder. Huepel is a bum and needs to go.
You mean how Frost made us great with GOL's recruits and a guy from Hawaii? Just curious

I can't keep all these threads straight but people keep harping on the fact that we aren't beating teams with winning records. I keep pointing out that hardly anybody does. Those that do usually are great or elite. They also do things like win conference titles. Most everybody is lucky to go .500 against teams with winning records. This has been harped on today regarding Georgia being Ranked #9 at 5-2:
Win 3-5 Arkansas
Win 5-2 Auburn
Win 2-5 Tennessee
Loss 7-0 Bama
Win 3-5 Kentucky
Loss 6-1 Florida

Remaining games:
Mizzou is currently 3-3
Miss St is currently 2-5
South Carolina is currently 2-6
Vandy is currently 0-7

Only 1 of their remaining opponents even has a chance at being .500. Teams they already beat have 0% chance. They both play Bama or UF. When it is all said and done a top 10 CFI program will be 1-2 against teams with a likely winning record. Auburn still has to play: @Bama, Texas A&M, @Miss St. They could end up 5-5. So their signature win would be beating a 5-5 squad.

Potentially one win on the season against a team that is .500 or better makes Georgia a top 10 program?

This is the story every year across all of college football. It doesn't change.

Last edited:
I can't keep all these threads straight but people keep harping on the fact that we aren't beating teams with winning records. I keep pointing out that hardly anybody does. Those that do usually are great or elite. They also do things like win conference titles. Most everybody is lucky to go .500 against teams with winning records. This has been harped on today regarding Georgia being Ranked #9 at 5-2:
Win 3-5 Arkansas
Win 5-2 Auburn
Win 2-5 Tennessee
Loss 7-0 Bama
Win 3-5 Kentucky
Loss 6-1 Florida

Remaining games:
Mizzou is currently 3-3
Miss St is currently 2-5
South Carolina is currently 2-6
Vandy is currently 0-7

Only 1 of their remaining opponents even has a chance at being .500. Teams they already beat have 0% chance. They both play Bama or UF. When it is all said and done a top 10 CFI program will be 1-2 against teams with a likely winning record. Auburn still has to play: @Bama, Texas A&M, @Miss St. They could end up 5-5. So their signature win would be beating a 5-5 squad.

Potentially one win on the season against a team that is .500 or better makes Georgia a top 10 program?

This is the story every year across all of college football. It doesn't change.
Don’t let facts get in the way of a good story.

No

They know the likelihood of a better coach is pretty low. Just look around at the state of most programs and ask yourself if they are better off than UCF in the coaching arena, and then ask yourself where in the pecking order of desirability is UCF as a coaching destination. We have been very fortunate but many cannot recognize that.

No

They know the likelihood of a better coach is pretty low. Just look around at the state of most programs and ask yourself if they are better off than UCF in the coaching arena, and then ask yourself where in the pecking order of desirability is UCF as a coaching destination. We have been very fortunate but many cannot recognize that.
Look no further than USF. He rode the coattails at Clemson and doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground. That’s what the fans here want. They don’t know the same as Scott.

Look no further than USF. He rode the coattails at Clemson and doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground. That’s what the fans here want. They don’t know the same as Scott.
Chad Morris was the last big OC to come out from under Dabo and he was marginal at best at SMU and failed bigly at Arkansas. Clemson is built on recruiting the absolute best players in the country. Literally NFL talent at all positions. Doesn’t take an offensive wizard to win there.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
No

LOL, did you just disagree and then reworded the same exact statement I made.

"They just are fearful that the next hire will be worse."

"No. They know the likelihood of a better coach is pretty low. "

It's the same point, Heupel could go 8-5 for the next 10 seasons and the argument for keeping him is that it could be worse.

Reactions: clmssun

It's the same point, Heupel could go 8-5 for the next 10 seasons and the argument for keeping him is that it could be worse.
So you’re saying you’d like to be in same boat as USF?

Reactions: Yaes
So you’re saying you’d like to be in same boat as USF?
You don't think USF was justified in firing a guy who led them from 10-2 (Taggart) to 10-2 (Strong) to 7-6 (Strong, lost last six) to 4-8 (Strong)?

You would lobby for one more year of a coach like Strong after a trajectory like that?

Or are you simply saying you don't trust Danny White to find someone better than "Jeff Scott" after firing "Charlie Strong"?

P.S. I have no assessment of Scott at USF, but one need only look at Taggart at USF as a quick example of how one can have a terrible start and then truly turn things around positively (and get hired away). It is wise to assess a coaching hire after 3 years. Strong was descending and got fired. Taggart was ascending and got hired away. P.P.S. Heupel is descending through 3 years.

You don't think USF was justified in firing a guy who led them from 10-2 (Taggart) to 10-2 (Strong) to 7-6 (Strong, lost last six) to 4-8 (Strong)?

You would lobby for one more year of a coach like Strong after a trajectory like that?

Or are you simply saying you don't trust Danny White to find someone better than "Jeff Scott" after firing "Charlie Strong"?

P.S. I have no assessment of Scott at USF, but one need only look at Taggart at USF as a quick example of how one can have a terrible start and then truly turn things around positively (and get hired away). It is wise to assess a coaching hire after 3 years. Strong was descending and got fired. Taggart was ascending and got hired away. P.P.S. Heupel is descending through 3 years.
No idea what you are saying. No Scott was not a good hire. Look at record. He was a puppet at Clemson. You want a puppet? I don’t. I want a guy that wins 60-70% of games.

Strong wasn’t just descending. His teams were terrible and non competitive and he lost 8 games in a row at one point. Not really comparable to UCF which has been competitive with the top teams coming up just a tad short the past 2 years. Plus Heupel has destroyed usf. Which is also why Strong was fired. So to summarize, Strong lost 8 straight finished a season 4-8 and was 0-3 against their biggest rival. Not comparable.

Its hard not to decend from 12-0.
Heupel hasn't won any games we weren't favored in. But he has lost 6 or so that we were supposed to win. I think this is what is driving fans crazy.

If we lose to USF then i would start to worry.

Bottom line, the defense isnt good enough to win the conference. And the offense isn't good enough to bail out the defense. They can't keep up score for score with the Memphis's, Tulsa's or Cincinnati's. The defense really crumbles after 20mintues on the field. After 30 mins they are a paper bag.

Heupel hasn't won any games we weren't favored in. But he has lost 6 or so that we were supposed to win. I think this is what is driving fans crazy.

If we lose to USF then i would start to worry.

Bottom line, the defense isnt good enough to win the conference. And the offense isn't good enough to bail out the defense. They can't keep up score for score with the Memphis's, Tulsa's or Cincinnati's. The defense really crumbles after 20mintues on the field. After 30 mins they are a paper bag.
That’s why I say rotate in more guys. Give starters rest. Going to give up points anyway so give starters rest for home stretch.

Reactions: firm_bizzle

No you missed the point. Heup is doing well enough that there is no need to fire as no replacement would be expected to do better. No one would have as explosive of an offense. The point is that Heup could go 10-2 every season and the argument would be to fire him if he does not make a NY6.

Question. How many games were we not favored in over the last 3 years. I know LSU and Cinci. what others. Any other team you know win every single game they were favored in over the last 3 years?

I think the thing that is driving people crazy is that many games we lose we do after leading by multiple touchdowns

Reactions: Endeavor.
Question. How many games were we not favored in over the last 3 years. I know LSU and Cinci. what others. Any other team you know win every single game they were favored in over the last 3 years?

I think the thing that is driving people crazy is that many games we lose we do after leading by multiple touchdowns
Favored is an opinion of betters. Nothing more.

FPI had us favored over Cincinnati this year. Vegas had Cincinnati +5 at kickoff.

So i would say LSU was only game. I cant remember if Memphis CCG if we were favored as mack was QB. Fpi would have favored us. It didn't know we lost Milton.

ADVERTISEMENT