ADVERTISEMENT

Humble Brag...

Wow that's awesome, idk much about the cheer team demographics but seems impressive to make it trying out as a freshman

Reactions: UCFhonors
Took my son to orientation this week at UCF. He starts Summer B with his first class online. He's second generation and UCF was his first choice (over UF, UWF, USF, FSU). He tried out and made the cheer team for the 2019-2020 season.
Congrats!!! Do they still brag about the Blair witch project at orientation?

Congrats! My son got denied. He has epilepsy and while his grades are good, 3.6, his ACT and SAT scores are on the low side of middle. He had a difficult freshman and sophomore year due to the side effects of depikote. It is nasty drug causing short term memory issues. He will be attending Seminole State College in Oviedo and direct connect to UCF as a junior. He is also going to be a Marching Knight this fall playing his saxophone.

I am a bit frustrated with admissions. His grades are good and he is dual enrolled in college English and aced both semesters. He also aced music appreciation. He has made As in most of his classes which have been honors. We don't have a lot of AP classes here at Smoky Mountain High. He has 5 letters of recommendation, plus he was on the ground floor starting our schools FRC robotics team, marched in band and did countless community service projects as part of scouts. His English and science are solid and math is about average . Plus he has the Florida Prepaid college program. I get it that UCF is competitive, but my son truly wants to be a Knight like his dad. He will get there in 2 years. I wish UCF admissions would look at the entire kid not just their grades and SAT score. My son worked his ass off inspite of the epilepsy and the drugs. He was on the wait list and asked for an expedited review and was denied. Like your son, he was willing to go to summer school or even next spring. In the end he will be a Knight and will get to march for 4 years, maybe longer if he goes to grad school.

You should be proud and i wish you guys nothing but success and who knows, maybe our kids meet up this fall cheering on the Knight's and playing tunes! Congrats again.

Congrats! My son got denied. He has epilepsy and while his grades are good, 3.6, his ACT and SAT scores are on the low side of middle. He had a difficult freshman and sophomore year due to the side effects of depikote. It is nasty drug causing short term memory issues. He will be attending Seminole State College in Oviedo and direct connect to UCF as a junior. He is also going to be a Marching Knight this fall playing his saxophone.

I am a bit frustrated with admissions. His grades are good and he is dual enrolled in college English and aced both semesters. He also aced music appreciation. He has made As in most of his classes which have been honors. We don't have a lot of AP classes here at Smoky Mountain High. He has 5 letters of recommendation, plus he was on the ground floor starting our schools FRC robotics team, marched in band and did countless community service projects as part of scouts. His English and science are solid and math is about average . Plus he has the Florida Prepaid college program. I get it that UCF is competitive, but my son truly wants to be a Knight like his dad. He will get there in 2 years. I wish UCF admissions would look at the entire kid not just their grades and SAT score. My son worked his ass off inspite of the epilepsy and the drugs. He was on the wait list and asked for an expedited review and was denied. Like your son, he was willing to go to summer school or even next spring. In the end he will be a Knight and will get to march for 4 years, maybe longer if he goes to grad school.

You should be proud and i wish you guys nothing but success and who knows, maybe our kids meet up this fall cheering on the Knight's and playing tunes! Congrats again.
It’s a lot harder to get in now than when we went. A lot more people applying as well. It’s competitive.

Make sure to get a picture of him doing this :)

main-qimg-4ccd6209854072e3abeabcc1f3dc33b9

Your son sounds bright and like the kind of student UCF needs. Attending a CC first could be a really good thing. The friends I had at UCF who attended a CC first ended up with really good grades and were a bit more dedicated to their studies. Good luck to him in school and in the band.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
A lot of Pulitzer Prize winners came from CC backgrounds.

It's not the end of the world.
National average is 3.3 years to get a CC
and 5.1 to get a Bachelors

It makes sense to start in H.S. at local CC then finish up before
going to University to get Bachelors degree for total of 6 years.

This gives you a little time to work while living at home,
grow up a little and cut down costs of attending university by
only being away for 3 years.

Another fact...80% of students change majors before they graduate!

I know it may be more competitive to get accepted vs when I did in 2013 (started UCF fall 2014), but I went to FAU my freshman year in 2013, I had a girlfriend at the time who went to UCF, and I experienced the magical goal line stand against Houston. From there, I was convinced to apply to UCF. In the fall, 3 months in, I applied for UCF. I had a 3.2 gpa and a 22 act score. Obviously got rejected. So, I took it upon myself to go to the admissions office and plead my case on how much of an improved student I am compared to high school. 15 minutes later, they told me that I was the kind of student they’re looking for. Fast forward 5 years, I’m finishing up my second year of medical school. Point of the story is, don’t allow that rejection bring your son down. If anything, use it as motivation to prove them wrong. It’ll all work itself out.

I know it may be more competitive to get accepted vs when I did in 2013 (started UCF fall 2014), but I went to FAU my freshman year in 2013, I had a girlfriend at the time who went to UCF, and I experienced the magical goal line stand against Houston. From there, I was convinced to apply to UCF. In the fall, 3 months in, I applied for UCF. I had a 3.2 gpa and a 22 act score. Obviously got rejected. So, I took it upon myself to go to the admissions office and plead my case on how much of an improved student I am compared to high school. 15 minutes later, they told me that I was the kind of student they’re looking for. Fast forward 5 years, I’m finishing up my second year of medical school. Point of the story is, don’t allow that rejection bring your son down. If anything, use it as motivation to prove them wrong. It’ll all work itself out.
That would have gotten you in when I went mid to late 90s.

Reactions: RookieMistake
Hasn’t the cheer team won national championship recently or something like that?
They've won a couple of national championships in the past. 2018-2019 season they came in sixth overall large coed collegiate, first in the gameday cheer large coed and first in the World University Cup. My son wanted to play football and he got invited to the spring game this year as a long snapping prospect. The next day he visited as a cheer prospect. I was with him both days and by the end of the cheer visit I told him he was crazy if he chose football. That was a cattle market, and as a long snapper I told him he would be standing behind the the sophomore starter for at least three years fighting for the second or third spot. He would not be happy holding a helmet and wondering if he made the travel team, or not. Glad he chose cheer.

Thank you. That's cool that your son gets to be a Marching Knight. That would be cool if they got to meet up. I think what got my son over the hump was his ACT score. He was dual enrolled and had a pretty decent gpa also.

I mean this in the nicest way, it doesn’t matter where you start. What matters is where you UCFinish.

A+++ post.

#UCFacts

Community college is a really solid option. I wasn't sure what I really wanted to do out of high school and started with a major of CIS/Business at the local community college. My best friend went to Clemson so I applied and got in there but couldn't afford the out of state tuition. It was about that time that I met my now wife in one of my classes and she was going to go into engineering. We started dating and she went on to USF and I took a semester off. During that time I was helping her with her physics homework and decided I should do engineering as well and the rest is history. I saved a lot of money by getting an academic scholarship to go to CC and figure out what I wanted to do before going on to USF or anywhere else for that matter. I worked through college and took out minimal student loans since I really didn't want my parents to have to help me.

And congrats on your son getting in to UCF and the cheer squad.

I was out of school for 10 years so I had to start at Valencia. It was excellent. At Valencia the instructors care about their students and quality of instruction. I studied my ass off, staying on campus in the library, tutoring centers, cafeteria, and in office hours like it was my job. I finished with a 4.0.
When I got to UCF, more than half of my instructors were graduate research assistants or adjuncts and the quality of instruction was not great. I was much more "on my own" studying and trying to learn the material.

During my time at UCF I had way more opportunities for internships and networking though. I worked 6 internships during my BS and MS during which I met a ton of people who have been excellent personal and professional resources for me. Some have called in favors for me and put in many extra hours to find funding for me. This has enabled me to keep gaining experience in my field instead of working as a barista or server somewhere. UCF is family now.

There's no doubt in my mind that those two years at Valencia helped me in ways that getting straight into UCF would not have. And UCF helped me in ways Valencia could not have.

Regardless of what might have been best it's all going to work out. Starting school at 30 years old, really struggling to fit in, and taking several remedial courses was a long/steep up hill climb. I've been successful and feel like I have a bright future ahead. This fall I will start a doctorate. Sometimes you can't change where you're at or starting from but you sure as hell have control over what comes next. Charge on!

Your son sounds like he will do fine in the long-run. I'm glad UCF provides a clear route to transfer. If you're frustrated with UCF admissions, be frustrated with the State of Florida's preeminence funding metrics. In order to be designated a preeminent institution and to get the money that comes with it, the state institutions have to hit 11/12 metrics, of which the below is one. UCF is taking marching orders from the State.

"An average weighted grade point average of 4.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale and an average SAT score of 1800 or higher on a 2400-point scale or 1200 or higher on a 1600-point scale for fall semester incoming freshmen, as reported annually."

ADVERTISEMENT