ADVERTISEMENT

I hate the off-season…

Patiently waiting for the first post that says “Man we have 11 LB’s we need to see some guys hit the portal to free up some spots”. 😂
Lol, but a few of these guys will be true freshman that will take a redshirt to develop no doubt. But I’m waiting for KoC, I mean Lobocane to interject.

Lol, but a few of these guys will be true freshman that will take a redshirt to develop no doubt. But I’m waiting for KoC, I mean Lobocane to interject.
Lol is right...true freshmen take redshirts to "develop no doubt"?...unless they're named Keene... he's expected to throw for 300 yards a game and light up the scoreboard ... glad you now understand players need time to grow and develop to their potential

Lol is right...true freshmen take redshirts to "develop no doubt"?...unless they're named Keene... he's expected to throw for 300 yards a game and light up the scoreboard ... glad you now understand players need time to grow and develop to their potential
Ideally you would want every true freshman to redshirt, give time to develop and adapt. Only the truly elite should find playing time, but a program should never be in a position to not have better developed depth. Unfortunately the Hippos lack of recruiting had us in a position all over the field where that wasn’t the case, but in this example you bring up it is at the most important position. Granted, transfers and injuries played a role.

I don’t think anyone can argue that Keene is truly elite, even you as the super blinded fan boi. My whole stance was he shouldn’t have been playing, and since he did play we all saw how he isn’t the guy that will win us games with that noodle arm. He’s a game manager at best, maybe he could develop into something more but again, he shouldn’t be playing for us at this point in time. Really excited for JRP though, the offense can be lethal with him at QB and his elite athleticism.

Last edited:
BTW, I was referencing the LB position in the post that triggered you. I think we all know all the front 7 positions on defense need time to develop the most. Coming from HS to CFB in those positions, even when highly rated recruits, you are a boy amongst men in most cases.

I don’t think anyone can argue that Keene is truly elite, even you as the super blinded fan boi. My whole stance was he shouldn’t have been playing, and since he did play we all saw how he isn’t the guy that will win us games with that noodle arm. He’s a game manager at best, maybe he could develop into something more but again, he shouldn’t be playing for us at this point in time. Really excited for JRP though, the offense can be lethal with him at QB and his elite athleticism.
I don't get the vitriol toward Keene on this board. He was thrust into a difficult situation and he produced. Not much else you can ask for. JRP may very well be the opening day stater and not relinquish the role. Considering, however, that a large part of his game depends on his running ability, JRP is likely to miss time due to injury at some point and give way to Keene as the starter. This is assuming, of course, that JRP can beat out Keene. If not, Keene may open and close the season as the starter. I am excited for UCF to have two viable options should they be needed. What I hope doesn't happen is division among factions about the position because I fully expect to see Gus institute a two-to-three quarterback system this fall.

I don't get the vitriol toward Keene on this board. He was thrust into a difficult situation and he produced. Not much else you can ask for. JRP may very well be the opening day stater and not relinquish the role. Considering, however, that a large part of his game depends on his running ability, JRP is likely to miss time due to injury at some point and give way to Keene as the starter. This is assuming, of course, that JRP can beat out Keene. If not, Keene may open and close the season as the starter. I am excited for UCF to have two viable options should they be needed. What I hope doesn't happen is division among factions about the position because I fully expect to see Gus institute a two-to-three quarterback system this fall.
Its not vitriol, we just know what keene is at tgis point: a game manager. He is valuable to plug in if JRP is injured but his lack of speed and lack of arm strength means he will not put up big numbers

Reactions: U C to the F
Prior to Keene taking the field there was memes of him being unstoppable, Malzahn saying the team won't lose a game, so much hype. The season played out, he was mediocre as most freshman QBs will be. Then we see people making arguments about how he was better than Milton was in his freshman year.

I would say those that hype him up is causing the issue. Only 20-30 QBs in the nation play on similar level to what Milton and Gabriel did, if you are expecting every QB to do the same just because they picked UCF you will be disappointed.

Reactions: U C to the F
My perception is that the people defending Keene just don't like seeing freshmen athletes getting trashed in the game day (and other) threads. They bring up Milton because of how fans treated him. Thinking about UCF fans at the Cure Bowl still makes me cringe.

99% of UCF fans know Keene doesn't have the position locked up. That's a big reason JRP was brought in. The position is in full-on competition status.

The final stats leader for his USFL team in Receiving Yards and TDs...

Good for Marlon!

i just watched a clip of his last TD. Is the crowd noise simulated on the broadcast? The volume of the cheers did not match the crowd shot at all…

Reactions: Knight Strength
Ideally you would want every true freshman to redshirt, give time to develop and adapt. Only the truly elite should find playing time, but a program should never be in a position to not have better developed depth. Unfortunately the Hippos lack of recruiting had us in a position all over the field where that wasn’t the case, but in this example you bring up it is at the most important position. Granted, transfers and injuries played a role.

Actually no, your stance was that he sucks, that’s all your posts were about all season and that Keene should have better passing numbers than he had….. even though he was five months out of HS.…and now you say we shouldn’t expect true freshmen to start as they need a redshirt so they can develop, but that only applies to lbs?…which is it? ….what triggers me are unrealistic expectations and your incessant bashing of a kid who actually played damn well for a true freshman…no one knows what he’ll develop or not develop into…but apparently you think you can assess that already…you have a 50/50 chance that you’re right…but if so it was a lucky guess…nothing more…very few players walk in out of hs and put up Gabriel and Milton numbers their first year… but you think they fall out of the sky…btw…JRPs passing numbers were pedestrian…you think that’s why they moved him to WR at Ole Miss?……again…may the best man win and last season Keene was the best QB we had despite your incessant and unfair bashing

Reactions: Yaes
Gus and Mikey speaking at orientation.

(top right picture)

Is this an indication Mikey is the man?

I see your Mikey Keene at orientation and I raise you JRP at Disney with Gus and our other “top players”! 😂😂
Please let the season begin already!!!

Actually no, your stance was that he sucks, that’s all your posts were about all season and that Keene should have better passing numbers than he had….. even though he was five months out of HS.…and now you say we shouldn’t expect true freshmen to start as they need a redshirt so they can develop, but that only applies to lbs?…which is it? ….what triggers me are unrealistic expectations and your incessant bashing of a kid who actually played damn well for a true freshman…no one knows what he’ll develop or not develop into…but apparently you think you can assess that already…you have a 50/50 chance that you’re right…but if so it was a lucky guess…nothing more…very few players walk in out of hs and put up Gabriel and Milton numbers their first year… but you think they fall out of the sky…btw…JRPs passing numbers were pedestrian…you think that’s why they moved him to WR at Ole Miss?……again…may the best man win and last season Keene was the best QB we had despite your incessant and unfair bashing
You should relax bub. When I referenced “development” in regards to the LBs I was specifically talking about LBs and referring to gaining size/muscle in the weight room. Anybody coming out of HS that plays on the lines or in the LB position will need a lot of weight training and size development. Skill positions can come in immediately and play with speed and talent alone, as we have all seen before. I think TC could if needed, he’s got a ton of upside.

I didn’t even bring up Keene here, you’re somehow triggered and can’t move on. I agree with you that he absolutely needs development and should not have been playing. There was a huge lack of recruiting depth and quality by Heupel. I think Gus and Co have done an awesome job addressing that.

QB position will be worked out in September on the field. That's what fairest for team and players. Gus isn't afraid to switch in other QBs for a few series. He's already done this last season and we'll see both QBs on the field in the 1st game for sure.

I see your Mikey Keene at orientation and I raise you JRP at Disney with Gus and our other “top players”! 😂😂
Please let the season begin already!!!

gus-malzahn-ucf-knights-announce-innovative-approach-highlight-players-nil-during-spring-game.jpg

Last edited:

Hopefully this will help him get back into the swing of things heading into fall camp.
He's certainly showed that he's serious about being a QB and is putting in the work. He spent some time with his previous QB Coach in Mobile and now this camp with the Mannings and some of the best college QB's. He looked good in the Spring game and soon we'll see if the hard work pays off...

Reactions: Drew-C-F and tjb74
Wonder if he was able to talk to the 3 GOATS and get their phone numbers for advice and networking.

Whatever happened to Anthony Hundley?

Was committed to LSU, then commits to us. Enters TP as freshman. Did he just quit football? Anyone with inside info on the situation?

Whatever happened to Anthony Hundley?

Was committed to LSU, then commits to us. Enters TP as freshman. Did he just quit football? Anyone with inside info on the situation?
He entered portal before playing here. I doubt he quit. Could be a grade thing.

Reactions: PhDee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT