ADVERTISEMENT

I hate the off-season…

If it was excepted then it didn’t happen. I’m sure you mean accepted but the issue with that is that social media (including these boards and services) is in no way the arbiter of truth or guilt.
He's a freak athlete and it's a shame he's throwing his life away. I wanted him here and was hoping he could turn things around. I stand my opinion that he punched a teacher in HS and had to transfer to a a new high school in order to keep playing football. This isn't a secret conspiracy. You don't go from being a 5 Star LB recruited by everyone to virtually losing all scholarships over night. Tennessee and Miami were the only schools really willing to give the kid a chance out of high school.

Quite honestly, I wasn't aware he had background problems.

I guess I missed it. It sure wasn't talked about on the board...that I know of.
Now that you know, is he a POS that we should have never been involved with?

Now that you know, is he a POS that we should have never been involved with?
I'd need to know more details about it before I can give you my opinion. As of now, I have no clue as to what you're referring to regarding Hughes.

Did my search on it...sexual assualt accusations, no charges. And admitted guilt to breaking a guy's nose.

Not an angel but it beats hitting two different women. No pun intended.

I'll stick with my previous statement in that we don't need that POS on this team.

Did my search on it...sexual assualt accusations, no charges. And admitted guilt to breaking a guy's nose.

I'll stick with my previous statement in that we don't need that POS on this team.
I’m pretty sure I’d rather get punched in lip from my cousin than get sexually assaulted. Just me though.

That’s fine but you didn’t answer my question about whether we should’ve taken Hughes or not.

So Hughes was never charged and admitted to breaking a dudes nose thats fine? But this kid hasn't been charged its all hearsay and he is the scum of the earth.
Quite a few people throw out he hit a teacher in high school but when asked to provide proof no one seems to link it just the old Google it and it's right there. I did and went thru quite a few pages but none of them mentioned anything about high school issues.
Just let this shit play out.

Reactions: Shark19
That’s fine but you didn’t answer my question about whether we should’ve taken Hughes or not.
In hindsight, UCF made the right move. He played a huge role in that magical season, but more importantly, he didn't get in anymore trouble. Everything worked out luckily.

But had you asked me before the season if we should take him, I'd still say no flat out.

It's good I'm not a football coach.

A conviction eh?
Yeah, a felony conviction....the Miami program certainly knows what those are. A misdemeanor can be as simple as a bar fight..... I miss those, good times. Can’t have those now, every wannabe cowboy or thug are carrying guns.

Moving on.....

In hindsight, UCF made the right move. He played a huge role in that magical season, but more importantly, he didn't get in anymore trouble. Everything worked out luckily.

But had you asked me before the season if we should take him, I'd still say no flat out.

I’m sure you would be a decent coach at usf, they don’t seem to have any qualification requirements.

• Haha
Reactions: FoxKnight

Appreciate the response. I don’t know your background but I’m ver familiar with some of the communities these kids grow up in. Many of the kids that act like criminals are doing so because so many are doing it. Give them structure and mentorship and they turn out to be good people. A few are POS’s no matter what. That structure and education is part of what has made college athletics great. That’s the biggest reason why I’m so disappointed in the way the portal and NIL have turned out.

I also view athletic scholarships as a way to get young people out of their hometowns/situations and funnel them towards opportunities and success. Like the military but probably a lot more fun.

Reactions: FoxKnight and tjb74
I also view athletic scholarships as a way to get young people out of their hometowns/situations and funnel them towards opportunities and success. Like the military but probably a lot more fun.
This was a big topic when there was a push to lower the gpa requirement for the NCAA. It seems to have fallen to the wayside completely now. I’ve seen multiple studies that have shown that college degrees are a critical, if not primary, factor in breaking multigenerational poverty.

I’m waiting to see the success in graduation that transfer portal athletes have. Given that there’s no guarantee that a new school will accept all or even any of the old school’s credits, how are athletes like Jaylon Robinson affected scholastically by their multiple transfers. Are any of the schools that he attended going to pay for him through completion of his degree if he is set back by transferring? If not, and he doesn’t catch on in the pros, the system has set him up to fail.

Reactions: Knight Strength
This was a big topic when there was a push to lower the gpa requirement for the NCAA. It seems to have fallen to the wayside completely now. I’ve seen multiple studies that have shown that college degrees are a critical, if not primary, factor in breaking multigenerational poverty.

I’m waiting to see the success in graduation that transfer portal athletes have. Given that there’s no guarantee that a new school will accept all or even any of the old school’s credits, how are athletes like Jaylon Robinson affected scholastically by their multiple transfers. Are any of the schools that he attended going to pay for him through completion of his degree if he is set back by transferring? If not, and he doesn’t catch on in the pros, the system has set him up to fail.
Would like to see studies specifically targeting athletes that wouldn't have gone to college without athletics and didn't make the professional leagues. Even the college athletes that make professional leagues end up broke. I am sure there is segment that actually makes use of their education time, but I think a large proportion knows they are there for sports and while coaches and the program push for graduating rates they don't actually care if they learn anything or apply it afterwards. They don't want their players spending 30 hours a week cracking books.

'We ain't come here to play school' - Cardale Jones 2012

If I recall correctly, Robinson is a bad example as he graduated in the spring. This second transfer is a grad transfer, which doesn’t carry the same credit transfer issue you mentioned.

Plenty of other examples of multi-transfer students though. Take Gatewood, for instance.

Reactions: sk8knight
Yeah, a felony conviction....the Miami program certainly knows what those are. A misdemeanor can be as simple as a bar fight..... I miss those, good times. Can’t have those now, every wannabe cowboy or thug are carrying guns.

Moving on.....
Miami fans can come lecture on this topic once they remove the killer from their ring of honor....

Also didn't they have one player kill another player...

Anyone else concerned about Tre'mon's health? He consistently posts at 3:33am several times a week, that can't be healthy being up that late so consistently.

And he posts the same things about 3's. Maybe that has a special meaning to him, and I respect that. But isn't it very unique?

Anyone else concerned about Tre'mon's health? He consistently posts at 3:33am several times a week, that can't be healthy being up that late so consistently.

And he posts the same things about 3's. Maybe that has a special meaning to him, and I respect that. But isn't it very unique?
I don’t know his situation but kids like to be up late and sleep late. If he has early classes or practices that’s not good. I’m sure the coaches are monitoring social media.

A few days back it was reported all charges were dropped. Now if we can just get Jennings a waiver we'll be in about the best shape we could be at LB.
Funny to think that if Jennings is approved that we could go from being on life support a few weeks ago at LB to arguably the best room (on paper) that we have ever had.
1) Jean-Baptiste (proven starter)
2) Lewis (5 star)
3) Jennings (4 star)
4) Johnson (FCS All American 100+ tackles)
5) Walter Yates
6) Quade Mosier

Seeing that we only play 2 LB at a time I think we would be good to go.

Funny to think that if Jennings is approved that we could go from being on life support a few weeks ago at LB to arguably the best room (on paper) that we have ever had.
2) Lewis (5 star)
3) Jennings (4 star)
5) Walter Yates
6) Quade Mosier

Yea other than having returning starters that are familiar with the DCs system that's about as good as it gets. I firmly believe Gus has made the room as strong as he possibly could.

2) Lewis (5 star)
3) Jennings (4 star)
5) Walter Yates
6) Quade Mosier

ADVERTISEMENT