ADVERTISEMENT

I like Pitt

I thought it was WVU?
It was both Pitt and WVU. Their ADs were talking, and the WVU HC was big time on us.

It was Pitt's AD that came out and made the "1 school controlling" or something like that, insinuating USF siding with the non-football schools. Then they bolted at the same time as WVU, without telling anyone before, literally a week after the Big East voted against expansion -- tied to the new ESPN deal (insert UCF's TV numbers).

Last edited:
Wasn’t Pitt the main school trying to get us added to the old Big East when Genshaft at USF blocked it?
You’re right. Our former Chancellor, Mark Nordenberg, was the biggest advocate for the Big East. He was the one that went to war against the ACC in the early 2000’s, kept it in-tact after Boston College, Miami, and Va Tech left, and did everything he could to keep it afloat the second time around.

However, USF (and probably the basketball schools as well) kept rejecting the possible expansion and when everyone else was hesitant to commit to the Big East long-term and began looking out for themselves, we got the interest from the ACC and left with Syracuse. Honestly, it’s probably a good thing for UCF that they didn’t join when they did. The conference collapsing was inevitable, whether it was in 2011 or 2021. It was doomed the moment they rejected Penn State in the 80s and split amongst football and basketball schools in the 90s.

This is a good article that explains the events leading up to its demise.

You’re right. Our former Chancellor, Mark Nordenberg, was the biggest advocate for the Big East. He was the one that went to war against the ACC in the early 2000’s, kept it in-tact after Boston College, Miami, and Va Tech left, and did everything he could to keep it afloat the second time around.

However, USF (and probably the basketball schools as well) kept rejecting the possible expansion and when everyone else was hesitant to commit to the Big East long-term and began looking out for themselves, we got the interest from the ACC and left with Syracuse. Honestly, it’s probably a good thing for UCF that they didn’t join when they did. The conference collapsing was inevitable, whether it was in 2011 or 2021. It was doomed the moment they rejected Penn State in the 80s and split amongst football and basketball schools in the 90s.

This is a good article that explains the events leading up to its demise.

Why are Pitt fans on here being friendly and insightful? Isn't it game week?*

Maybe Pitt can help get us into the ACC.

Hoping for a fun injury free game!

Same here. If it isn’t a rivalry game (PSU, WVU, ND) I’m pretty friendly about it. I also like to interact with opposing fan bases that we don’t play often. Not to mention @UCFhonors is a friend of mine from the national board. I have nothing but good things to say about UCF and am looking forward to the game.

Pitt will probably be bigger challenge than Stanford.
They very well may be. I feel like their defense must be good after seeing the Penn State game. Seems like a good match up for us at an away game. I want us to win decisively but, aside from my bowl game hopes, I'd also be thrilled with a good challenge that kept me on the edge of my seat.

Reactions: Endeavor.
Pitt will probably be bigger challenge than Stanford.
Definitely. They have a lot of axes to grind, it’s at home, and they have a better defense

However, they can’t score a lot of points

We may break our 30 point streak, but that doesn’t mean a loss

I think they are similar to Temple, but doubt their DBs can hang with our WRs. Additionally, their best defensive end is out for the season

Reactions: Endeavor.
Definitely. They have a lot of axes to grind, it’s at home, and they have a better defense

However, they can’t score a lot of points

We may break our 30 point streak, but that doesn’t mean a loss

I think they are similar to Temple, but doubt their DBs can hang with our WRs. Additionally, their best defensive end is out for the season
Their DBs gonna see this! Peace be with you suckas!
i

Still not sure how that wasn’t flagged for taunting

Yea, it could have been. I remember a UCF player getting flagged for something similar...holding the ball over his head in celebration before he crossed the goal line.

A number of UCF players on offense and defense have been doing things that could get them flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct and I hope they start to get that under control. Would hate to have it come back and bite us at a critical time in a ballgame.

The fans visiting our board are pretty cool on their board too.
That said, there's a bunch of Genshafters up there that think we will never have value ever.
They sort of have a point if we actually lived up to it. Remember Western Michigan 2nd winning season after the Orange Bowl? Me neither.
Heck we went to 0-12 two years after our first Fiesta Bowl.

They have one of the better P5 fanbases around that we've played, although it helps that we beat them handily last year.
And they won the ACC Coastal, and recognize that Virginia is now in the driver's seat for the same.

I think the Notre Dame praise for beating a P5 Divisional Champion in Pitt last year made them realize how much UCF is ignored.
So they aren't being the same as most others.

6-8 New starters on D (all new LB starters) could help us.
Also, they seem to think the fast pace is a gimmick.
I hope we put a good, high score on them.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
I don't know how. They saw Heupel's 8-9 second tempo last year, albeit it was still newer and had a few 'teething' issues. Maybe it's because we 'called off the dogs' early on?

I think we're down to sub-8 second now. Frost was more 10-11 seconds before that.

Its down to 1 or two seconds after the ref puts the ball down unless they change the play at the line of scrimmage.

Its down to 1 or two seconds after the ref puts the ball down unless they change the play at the line of scrimmage.
We have to be set for at least 1 second, and we got that penalty the other week at FAU IIRC. I'm amazed we've only got it once all season (and in Gab's first start).

But what was that non-play where we didn't sub, but Stanford did? I still don't understand that, other than the PAC-12 refs not being 'ready' for our tempo?

Although they did finally start flagging Stanford for procedures when they couldn't get people off fast enough. ;)

I gave up what those refs were calling. They were bad and clueless. What about that fair catch Otis called then gets tackled. No Call. I was like what?
Indeed, they are not allowed to touch the player at all, and it was clearly avoidable, they just went ahead and did it. No malice, but the rulebook says ... touching him after is a penalty, just touching. It was far more than a touch, and very, very avoidable ... he totally just ran into him, not bothering to change or stop when he had 2-3 seconds to do so. There was 0 momentum excuse, totally avoidable.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoKnights2003
Preaching to choir. I want him the rest of the way too.
I'm waiting for us to lose a game, especially if Gab is at the helm, and people to start armchair-coaching (put X in, why use Gab in Y, etc...). I'm hoping we go undefeated with Gabriel, but if we don't ... I'm not going to be upset, much less blame him or anyone.

6-8 New starters on D (all new LB starters) could help us.
I hope we put a good, high score on them.

Isn’t face paced a gimmick? Isn’t it intended to create mismatches and wear out the defense? I don’t care if it’s a gimmick especially when it’s a highly effective gimmick.

I'm waiting for us to lose a game, especially if Gab is at the helm, and people to start armchair-coaching (put X in, why use Gab in Y, etc...). I'm hoping we go undefeated with Gabriel, but if we don't ... I'm not going to be upset, much less blame him or anyone.
So true. Your always better being your best even in defeat (if that should happen).

Reactions: UCFBS
Now we better understand why old school coaches don't rank us high.

We can't compare DG and KZ freshmen team because DG has a senior version of the team that KZ played with. KZ was pushing himself to make more plays then DG has to. DG just has to make the quick reads and deliver the ball. The team will take care of the rest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT