ADVERTISEMENT

Idea Big XII of dropping FCS opponents.

Unless the playoffs expand/change, with this strategy it will hurt having a B12 team finish with 1 loss at the most which is essentially a prerequisite.

Remembering how Louisville game when we were Div II helped save UCF football, this will help end FCS, and the ever smaller divisions. On a good note, with no lower divisions then usf will be in the new FCS. I do dislike these games, but also know they help their funding.

Unless the playoffs expand/change, with this strategy it will hurt having a B12 team finish with 1 loss at the most which is essentially a prerequisite.
Yea that's a potential tradeoff when scheduling tougher opponents but if the Big XII gets an autobid it could alleviate that concern a bit. Plus it may give our "strength of schedule" enough of a bump to close the gap with the SEC and B1G making a 1 loss team in any of these three conferences be perceived as more equal. Not sure if that makes sense.

This will contribute to the current College Football System we love collapsing.

FCS schools will lose money they get paid to play FBS schools, lose the publicity they get, lose out on recruits, etc.

Reactions: U C to the F
This is good if all conferences do this. I don’t like OOC at all except maybe 1 rivalry or tuneup game. Then the best of each conference play each other.

This would be horrible for 1AA football. They count on the "Pay for play" games to subsidize their programs.
If you count on that to subsidize your program, then are you really just D2?

Why is it the burden of the D1-A programs to keep this alive?

This will contribute to the current College Football System we love collapsing.

FCS schools will lose money they get paid to play FBS schools, lose the publicity they get, lose out on recruits, etc.
Would love to understand your train of thought on that one. Not sure how you got there. Line 2 doesn't seem to match up with Line 1 at all.

Not for this at all.....we need a tuneup game every year.....and it will be bad for FCS teams that need the payouts.
I feel the G5 teams we'd still play could be tune up games. The level of FCS competition is so low there isn't enough of a challenge to force athletes to do their best or for coaches to see situations when their plays don't work.

Would love to understand your train of thought on that one. Not sure how you got there. Line 2 doesn't seem to match up with Line 1 at all.
My theory is that the power is becoming increasingly concentrated at the top. By collapsing, I'm referring to having the 100+ teams in the system becoming diminished in the sense, we won't have anymore *surprise* years by the App States, or Liberties, or UCFs. The college football program is increasing cutting off funds to programs with less financials. And eventually, many teams will be disbanded.

The cupcake schools that P5 teams play get paid upto 7 figures to come get beat up for 60 minutes. This is big money for those small/unknown programs. If P5 schools stop scheduling them, the cupcake schools lose that income stream.

These cupcake teams get publicity in the sense, they get to play the biggest names in college football. For example, Alabama plays ULM, Austin Peay, WKU, Eastern Illinois, and UT Martin in the upcoming years. These schools benefit from having their name associated with playing Alabama and also having their games televised. If it weren't for these games, nobody would have any idea what schools these were if you didn't live nearby and they would never be on TV.

Finally, this publicity they receive ties into their recruiting. These teams thrive on getting lower ranked recruits and transfers. The more FCS teams can get known, the better they can recruit.

Take all of these things away is going to hurt the teams at the bottom of the barrel. That's my theory. I'm open to counterarguments.

Last edited:
My theory is that the power is becoming increasingly concentrated at the top. By collapsing, I'm referring to having the 100+ teams in the system becoming diminished in the sense, we won't have anymore *surprise* years by the App States, or Liberties, or UCFs. The college football program is increasing cutting off funds to programs with less financials. And eventually, many teams will be disbanded.

The cupcake schools that P5 teams play get paid upto 7 figures to come get beat up for 60 minutes. This is big money for those small/unknown programs. If P5 schools stop scheduling them, the cupcake schools lose that income stream.

These cupcake teams get publicity in the sense, they get to play the biggest names in college football. For example, Alabama plays ULM, Austin Peay, WKU, Eastern Illinois, and UT Martin in the upcoming years. These schools benefit from having their name associated with playing Alabama and also having their games televised. If it weren't for these games, nobody would have any idea what schools these were if you didn't live nearby and they would never be on TV.

Finally, this publicity they receive ties into their recruiting. These teams thrive on getting lower ranked recruits and transfers. The more FCS teams can get known, the better they can recruit.

Take all of these things away is going to hurt the teams at the bottom of the barrel. That's my theory. I'm open to counterarguments.
I’ve seen all of those teams play and they weren’t playing Bama. ESPN+ shows most of their games. Sometimes on Wednesday and Thursday they get another ESPN channel. You don’t have to play a top 10 team for people to hear about you. It also doesn’t really help to be on tv and get beat by 60.

At least it shows there's someone finally in the XII that's trying to think of ways to make the conference better.

Removing OOC games and focusing only conference games means more opportunities for teams to beat each other up, and for committees to say that xyz team didn't play a B10/SEC team. Fine if you got an auto-bid, but no guarantee that ever happens, B12 is not going to be the ones making the rules for playoffs.

Removing OOC games and focusing only conference games means more opportunities for teams to beat each other up, and for committees to say that xyz team didn't play a B10/SEC team. Fine if you got an auto-bid, but no guarantee that ever happens, B12 is not going to be the ones making the rules for playoffs.
I hear what you're saying but I think people underestimate how strong a Big12 will be if we add the corners and Oregon/Wash.

With that lineup, the Big12 can't be ignored.

OOC games are always fun imo....it's a chance to play schools you wouldn't play.

The idea being floated is about eliminating FCS games. Big XII teams could still play any FBS team they're willing to schedule including Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, etc.

The fact is that most P5 teams OOC schedules are much weaker than their conference schedules.

The idea being floated is about eliminating FCS games. Big XII teams could still play any FBS team they're willing to schedule including Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, etc.

The fact is that most P5 teams OOC schedules are much weaker than their conference schedules.
My point is the idea mentioned in the tweet of going to 2 OOC games and 10 conference games. Removing FCS is not a big deal, can be replaced by a weak G5 team and will be. But then you only 1 other OOC, and your are increasing the likely hood that two good teams that normally would face off in a Championship game with 0 or 1 losses will now face off earlier eliminating them from being highly ranked and possibility have a 2-3 loss conference champion that in current playoff format would never jump a 0-1 loss p5 team.

Reactions: Knight Strength
My point is the idea mentioned in the tweet of going to 2 OOC games and 10 conference games. Removing FCS is not a big deal, can be replaced by a weak G5 team and will be. But then you only 1 other OOC, and your are increasing the likely hood that two good teams that normally would face off in a Championship game with 0 or 1 losses will now face off earlier eliminating them from being highly ranked and possibility have a 2-3 loss conference champion that in current playoff format would never jump a 0-1 loss p5 team.
Understood. Whatever they do they need to do something to bring more eyeballs.

Somewhere down the road I would imagine a spring game like high schools play. FCS could get a pay day. People would show up for a spring game, if they were playing against another school. I've read that from a few beat writers over the last couple of years. Don't know how coaches would feel about it though.

Reactions: FoxKnight
Somewhere down the road I would imagine a spring game like high schools play. FCS could get a pay day. People would show up for a spring game, if they were playing against another school. I've read that from a few beat writers over the last couple of years. Don't know how coaches would feel about it though.
That might address the altruistic concerns

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT