ADVERTISEMENT

If CFP stays at 4 eternally? FINE! Here's why that can be a GOOD thing...

anon_x731qvsnsyb8i

Diamond Knight
Sep 1, 2006
7th level of Dante's Inferno.
www.facebook.com
We all want the CFP to expand.

They want to keep it at 4. But, it is not in their best interest to keep it at 4...they know it, we know it.

This is the danger the CFP now currently faces:

With Amazon, Facebook, Netflix and current networks FOX, CBS and NBC...there is interest out there in saying "screw it all" and starting a second 12-16 team playoff that DOES encompass the remaining FBS conference winners, regardless if G5 or P5 (except the 1 or 2 in the CFP) and the remaining at-larges in the top 10.

The math works. Say for argument a team ranked #5 in the CFP poll does not go to CFP, but joins this new playoff. If they win (which they would be favored to do being the top seed) they will have had 1-2 MORE ranked wins than the CFP winner and it would cause the Polls to favor the winner of this NEW playoff outright regardless of the CFP winner's claim.

The threat of this happening is very real, and can be a driving force to get the CFP (BCS properties LLC) to force their hand and expand.

what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
In what way did it not make sense? A competing playoff is totally feasible.

What does Billy Madison have to do with this...? This has been talked about before with Marc Cuban, and again last week on CBS......with TV rights around the corner, those not called ESPN want more of the pie.

The CFP's choice to keep it at 4 would be their undoing if they stay at 4 forever. They know it. Another REAL playoff would thrive if 2 SEC teams and two other good-old-boy schools go have their circle-jerk.

We all want the CFP to expand.

They want to keep it at 4. But, it is not in their best interest to keep it at 4...they know it, we know it.

This is the danger the CFP now currently faces:

With Amazon, Facebook, Netflix and current networks FOX, CBS and NBC...there is interest out there in saying "screw it all" and starting a second 12-16 team playoff that DOES encompass the remaining FBS conference winners, regardless if G5 or P5 (except the 1 or 2 in the CFP) and the remaining at-larges in the top 10.

The math works. Say for argument a team ranked #5 in the CFP poll does not go to CFP, but joins this new playoff. If they win (which they would be favored to do being the top seed) they will have had 1-2 MORE ranked wins than the CFP winner and it would cause the Polls to favor the winner of this NEW playoff outright regardless of the CFP winner's claim.

The threat of this happening is very real, and can be a driving force to get the CFP (BCS properties LLC) to force their hand and expand.

Could it be a NCAA sanctioned playoff for D1 teams not in the cartel invitational? That way the P5 champ would have an asterisk behind their name.

It’s a bad idea that just would push the G5 teams down more. (Pundits would say look they have a tournament) It reminds me of a bad NIT tournament in College Football.

Also you would never get the old boy SEC, B10, ND and Texas to agree to this. It would take money and prestige from them.

Could it be a NCAA sanctioned playoff for D1 teams not in the cartel invitational? That way the P5 champ would have an asterisk behind their name.

Sure! Why the hell not? I could totally see this happening, CFP would be a "de facto" legends championship and the REAL playoff would be NCAA endorsed. Again, the winner of the new REAL playoff would have more games and ranked wins. It would work.

Reactions: knightraveler
It’s a bad idea that just would push the G5 teams down more. (Pundits would say look they have a tournament) It reminds me of a bad NIT tournament in College Football.

If would involve both the P5 and G5 conference winners and remaining top-10 at-larges, you didn't even read the original post. Explain to me how that would push the G5 down if their conference winners were guaranteed a spot?

Wow.

Let me guess you believe the USFL or the XFL was going overtake the NFL too.

Let me guess you believe the USFL or the XFL was going overtake the NFL too.

Ok, what does that have to do with this? .You are simply looking to argue and a waste of time.

People that thought FBS would have a playoff of any kind 10 years ago were thought of as nuts. I'm not the one with the problem here.

Moving on...

Yes I am a lawyer which is why I understand the contractual and logistical aspects of why this would never work. you must be a Disney employee because you’re living in fantasyland

Reactions: knight_tracker
Why not? I know they don't endorse the CFP but that is because it is not all inclusive. After all, UCF is already in the NCAA record books winning a NC.

I think Law has more a problem with me than he does with what I said at this point...no idea why. Anyway, yes, the NCAA WILL put their name on any fair-access playoff just as they did with the FCS. The FCS has the same separations between old and younger programs also...that isn't a phenomena unique to the FBS.

The only thing the NCAA controls in FBS is selectors and approving post season games.

There are some legal hurdles and some things would come to a head. For instance, all the conferences agreed to play their part in the CFI, including the NY6 games.

If UCF was invited to go to the Fiesta bowl, I believe they are required to or the AAC would be in breach of contract. We'd not only risk our share of the $80m we split with the other G5's, but they could sue for damages. The competing playoff would need to guarantee more money to get the other G5s to leave, but it would be hard to get the P5s to leave.

I'm pretty sure you'd need to use existing bowl games to play it, because those are sanctioned. You have to remember any changes to the postseason, you're looking at going to a vote and the P5s will try to stop it.

I think it's possible, but it would have to get pretty bad to risk the legal battles.

Reactions: Knight Strength
The only thing the NCAA controls in FBS is selectors and approving post season games.

There are some legal hurdles and some things would come to a head. For instance, all the conferences agreed to play their part in the CFI, including the NY6 games.

If UCF was invited to go to the Fiesta bowl, I believe they are required to or the AAC would be in breach of contract. We'd not only risk our share of the $80m we split with the other G5's, but they could sue for damages. The competing playoff would need to guarantee more money to get the other G5s to leave, but it would be hard to get the P5s to leave.

I'm pretty sure you'd need to use existing bowl games to play it, because those are sanctioned. You have to remember any changes to the postseason, you're looking at going to a vote and the P5s will try to stop it.

I think it's possible, but it would have to get pretty bad to risk the legal battles.

I was thinking along the line of the existing bowls, like Capital One bowl and other traditional bowls not included in the current CFP. I think they can do it with the right influence and networks in place.

Just a question here, exactly what power do the big Bowls- Sugar, Peach etc. have to force the continuation of their bowls? (since that's what I have heard on why they won't expand the invitational) If its "money", then what are they doing with that money that keeps them in existence. In other words, why can't the bowls just be demolished and an FCS style playoffs be created?

Just a question here, exactly what power do the big Bowls- Sugar, Peach etc. have to force the continuation of their bowls? (since that's what I have heard on why they won't expand the invitational) If its "money", then what are they doing with that money that keeps them in existence. In other words, why can't the bowls just be demolished and an FCS style playoffs be created?

FCS has bowl games also, so it would follow that model, essentially.

So the big bowls (sugar, rose, fiesta, etc) are the BCS and they have a contract now with all the conferences.

FCS is completely different, because all the conferences signed over their postseason TV contracts to the NCAA to run the FCS playoff. That's how it works in all college sports except the FBS.

So the big bowls (sugar, rose, fiesta, etc) are the BCS and they have a contract now with all the conferences.

FCS is completely different, because all the conferences signed over their postseason TV contracts to the NCAA to run the FCS playoff. That's how it works in all college sports except the FBS.

So then, it really is too big to change. You'd have to get the majority of the teams in every conference to agree to a change and that would never happen in the P5 as they'd never vote to take less $. The only way would be an outside force (law suit or something) that would force things to change?

Reactions: lawknight
So then, it really is too big to change. You'd have to get the majority of the teams in every conference to agree to a change and that would never happen in the P5 as they'd never vote to take less $. The only way would be an outside force (law suit or something) that would force things to change?
I think it would mostly hinge of if teams/conferences are legal obligated to take the slots they are offered in the CFP/NY6

Every conference would have to back out of the deal they are all currently signed to. Never happening.
I'm curious what the actual obligation is. What if UCF could get $5m for playing in an alternative playoff instead of $3m for the NY6. Don't they have the right to take the greater payment?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT