ADVERTISEMENT

If Trump sees a horrible defeat, where does Trumpism go from there?

fried-chicken

Diamond Knight
Jan 27, 2011

Obviously Trump will throw a shit fit and try to grow his brand of politics but how will the republican party respond to a crushing defeat if it plays out that way?

If they see that this isnt a winning strategy do they allow the party to split and go back to hiding their racism and hatred of the poor or do they stick with the trump roadmap of making it public?

This is the most interesting dynamic in politics right now. I think it is going to depend on the margin of defeat.

If Trump sees a horrible defeat, where does Trumpism go from there?
trash-can-clipartfest.com_.jpg

Reactions: NinjaKnight

Obviously Trump will throw a shit fit and try to grow his brand of politics but how will the republican party respond to a crushing defeat if it plays out that way?

If they see that this isnt a winning strategy do they allow the party to split and go back to hiding their racism and hatred of the poor or do they stick with the trump roadmap of making it public?

This is the most interesting dynamic in politics right now. I think it is going to depend on the margin of defeat.

If Biden wins, regardless of the margin the next 4 years are going to see a huge movement towards nationalism due to the coming economic collapse. Regardless, whatever party is in power for the next 4 years will lose to an extreme candidate in 2024.

Another boring thread by spam artist. Pass.
Not really. Another way to put it is, what direction does the GOP go after Trump?

I think Trumpism stays. The party gets smaller and angrier, pushes out the Bush/Romney Republicans.

Somewhere down the line the AOC/Bernie Democrats leave the Clinton/Biden wing, probably when they see the Republicans split since it will be safer then. The Clinton/Biden wing joins the Bush/Romney wing.

Our election system really only allows 2 parties.

If we had 3 parties we would naturally go back to two because of the winner take all aspects of presidential power.

If it was just congress then it could work but winning the WH is too important.

The party factions are essentially the seperate parties. Liberals Centrists Conservatives Alt Right. All of that is decided in primaries.

So thats how we finally get a 3rd party?
Its how we get a new 2nd party. The question becomes "which one collapses first?". We are kind of already seeing the reorganization of the 2, with authoritarians taking one side and libertarians taking the other.

I think enough politicians have built their brand on trumpism that we wont see it go away quickly. I think we see the Qanon Trumpism Pizzagate crowd be a powerful voice in the GOP that they will need to deal with for a long time.

Laura Loomer just won a freaking primary. From my understanding her district is pretty blue, so hopefully she wont win in the general, but the fact people like that are even winning Republican primaries just shows how mainstream this conspiracy shit is becoming.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
I think enough politicians have built their brand on trumpism that we wont see it go away quickly. I think we see the Qanon Trumpism Pizzagate crowd be a powerful voice in the GOP that they will need to deal with for a long time.
The stronger they get the more they will start to primary center right republicans like Rubio. That will make them a permanent minority. Trumpism is incompatible with coalition building and you need coalitions to win general elections.

Its how we get a new 2nd party. The question becomes "which one collapses first?". We are kind of already seeing the reorganization of the 2, with authoritarians taking one side and libertarians taking the other.
The Republican Party is about 5 years ahead of the Democratic Party in collapsing.

The stronger they get the more they will start to primary center right republicans like Rubio. That will make them a permanent minority. Trumpism is incompatible with coalition building and you need coalitions to win general elections.
You don't see the same thing happening on the left? The center-left and center-right are losing their holds on the parties.

The Republican Party is about 5 years ahead of the Democratic Party in collapsing.
Not 5, maybe 2. Both parties are in the process of reorganizing their priorities and the Republicans are ahead of the democrats in that aspect. Trump brought it to a head in 2016, Bernie and "the crew" really got traction in 2018. Not saying one has an advantage over the other at all because the end-game hasnt played out yet. You could probably say that the seeds of this started with Dennis Kucinich and Ron Paul respectively. The republicans moved a little bit earlier than the democrats in regards to it being an actual movement.

Not 5, maybe 2. Both parties are in the process of reorganizing their priorities and the Republicans are ahead of the democrats in that aspect. Trump brought it to a head in 2016, Bernie and "the crew" really got traction in 2018. Not saying one has an advantage over the other at all because the end-game hasnt played out yet. You could probably say that the seeds of this started with Dennis Kucinich and Ron Paul respectively. The republicans moved a little bit earlier than the democrats in regards to it being an actual movement.
The Republican Party has already nominated Trump and has Trump candidates down ballot. The Democratic Party hasn't nominated a Sanders-like candidate but they are developing Sanders-like candidates down ballot. Once the Trump wing of the GOP breaks away, the remaining has an actual chance at getting minority votes.

Hopefully when he loses, he gets convicted, jail time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT