UCFWayne

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2011
Casselberry
from facebook group unbiased america
DEMOCRATS PRESS AHEAD WITH “IMPEACHMENT INQUIRY” DESPITE DIVISION IN PARTY
by Kevin Ryan

The House Judiciary Committee today approved a resolution along party lines defining the rules of its impeachment investigation, the first vote the committee has taken related to the potential impeachment of President Trump.

House Democrats have struggled to define the committee's probe, with Judiciary Chairman Jerry Nadler saying the committee is conducting an impeachment inquiry, while House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and others refraining from calling it that. Many in the party are wary of impeachment, particularly those in competitive races, especially after the Mueller investigation found nothing on the main allegation that the Trump campaign colluded with Russia.

Nadler minced no words, however, in declaring that this was, indeed, an impeachment inquiry, and promising an “aggressive series of hearings” that “will go well beyond the four corners of the Mueller report.”

“This Committee is engaged in an investigation that will allow us to determine whether to recommend articles of impeachment with respect to President Trump. Some call this process an impeachment inquiry. Some call it an impeachment investigation. There is no legal difference between these terms, and I no longer care to argue about the nomenclature,” he said.

Democratic Majority Leader Steny Hoyer seemed to disagree. Hoyer responded "no" yesterday when asked whether the House was in an impeachment inquiry, but he later issued a statement clarifying his comments.

“I thought the question was in regards to whether the full House is actively considering articles of impeachment, which we are not at this time,” Hoyer said.

Asked again whether he believed the committee was conducting an impeachment investigation, he declined to say: "You saw my statement -- I'm not going to say anything else."

Georgia Rep. Doug Collins, the top Republican on the Committee, said that Democrats were trying to have it both ways, undertaking the hearings to placate the liberal base that wants impeachment, yet not voting in the full House to formally establish an impeachment inquiry in order to cover for moderate members wary of going down the path of impeachment. Today’s resolution is “fantasy land” Collins said during debate ahead of the vote.

Judiciary Committee member Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-MD) even appeared to embrace the discord. “If you believe that we are not of one mind about how to proceed, you're absolutely right. Nobody knows exactly, ultimately about how to proceed. But everybody believes we cannot let the President get away with corruption and malpractice in office.”

“Proof needs to come out, and what they call it makes no difference to me and I don't know what it's called,” said Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN). “But this will be an investigation for impeachment. There is no question about it. People are stumbling over it because of politics, so be it. It's the facts that need to be introduced to the American people to hear for the most impeachable President in the history of this country.”

SOURCE: https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/12/politics/impeachment-investigation-vote-house-judiciary-committee/index.html

ADVERTISEMENT