ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting article on the speech Nixon had prepared if the moon landing mission had failed

Ucfmikes

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Jun 6, 2015
50 years ago today. Can’t comprehend that we had the technology when computers were so archaic. Amazing human achievement. The Kennedy Space Center is amazing

Entitled "IN EVENT OF MOON DISASTER," Nixon's speech would address Armstrong and Aldrin's widows, as well as the nation. "Fate has ordained that the men who went to the moon to explore in peace will stay on the moon to rest in peace," the speech starts.

The speech continues: "These brave men, Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin, know that there is no hope for their recovery. But they also know that there is hope for mankind in their sacrifice."

Safire, in a 1999 interview with Meet the Press, said Aldrin and Armstrong would be "abandoned on the Moon" and "either have to starve to death or commit suicide."

"These two men are laying down their lives in mankind's most noble goal: the search for truth and understanding," Nixon would've continued in the speech.

Nixon would've gone on to say that "Others will follow, and surely find their way home," but the memory of Aldrin and Armstrong would be honored forever, as "these men were the first, and they will remain the foremost in our hearts."

As the Nixon Library added, "Fortunately, it [the speech ] was never needed" and the former president called the three astronauts and thanked them for their successful mission, saying "because of what you have done, the heavens have become a part of man's world."

Doubt they would have starved to death or committed suicide

Reactions: UCFWayne
Can’t comprehend that we had the technology when computers were so archaic. Amazing human achievement.
That was my reaction as well.

The most amazing events I've witnessed in my lifetime were our moon landings--with one exception. Our ability to somehow bring our three astronauts on Apollo 13 home alive after an oxygen tank blew up part of the ship on their way to the moon was so amazing it bordered on being miraculous.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
No other country has ever put a man on the moon, correct?

I have watched a few of the specials that have been on during this anniversary week and one thing that comes to mind is damn was there some good music released during that time.

I'll be surprised if we go to Mars in my lifetime. What would be the point?
No point. Just curiosity and a step towards bigger things. Probably a colony as well to have as a backup plan to Earth. However, I’m OK with my tax dollars going towards that.

2030-2035 probably

I'll be surprised if we go to Mars in my lifetime. What would be the point?

Serious answer: Because to someone with enough money (Bezos) it'll be fun. That's reason enough for me. Plus what's the point in half of the shit we do to feel important?

Reactions: UCFWayne
How the hell did they take off from the moon in that little module (not a rocket) and dock with the mother ship orbiting the moon at those speeds without computers? It wasn’t even damaged in landing on the moon!

In 1969!!!!!

That Neil Armstrong guy was pretty smart. I could just imagine the calculations and physics involved.

I can see why some people said that it never happened, but it did.

ADVERTISEMENT