ADVERTISEMENT

International travel people

UCFRogerz

Golden Knight
Apr 20, 2007
I haven't been to europe since the age of the smartphone so I need some advice on phone use while I'm in the UK next week. Using my AT&T phone as-is will cost me an arm and a leg and their international packages don't seem to offer much advantage.

What are my options and what is easiest to use?

Buy prepaid sim card before/when I arrive?
Buy new phone?
Keep phone data off and use skype while on wifi?

Buy a sim or use wifi (or both). There are a lot of places with wifi overseas, especially in major cities.

Reactions: jetsaholic
Watch out for NEDs in Glasgow and try not to get knifed :). Seriously though I've spent lot's of time in Glasgow (used to live in Dumbarton and Kilmarnock) and if you're not familiar with Glasgow make sure to stick to the City Center area which even at night on the weekends can turn quick. Venturing too far out is a bad idea.
When I was there recently I just relied on WIFI which when you're out and about can get annoying but for the most part got the job done.

Reactions: ProAttitude
add the AT&T international data package ($30 for 30 days for 120MB) and use Skype for calls. They start counting the 30 days when you tell them to. Just have to make sure you don't go crazy uploading or sending pictures over cellular.

BTW, you don't even need to do it before leaving. One time they blocked data for my GF's phone because it was using cellular (she didn't turn it off correctly) and the bill was already $500. I was able to add the package and pick the start date to the day before she left: total cost=$30

Reactions: ProAttitude
Most all places in Europe support WiFi these days. Hotels, restaurants, bars, cafes, museums, etc. Europe is an extremely well connected place (well, except for eastern Europe) and you can easily get by with just using WiFi.

For the short periods you don't have WiFi- f*ck it. You're on vacation.

Watch out for NEDs in Glasgow and try not to get knifed :). Seriously though I've spent lot's of time in Glasgow (used to live in Dumbarton and Kilmarnock) and if you're not familiar with Glasgow make sure to stick to the City Center area which even at night on the weekends can turn quick. Venturing too far out is a bad idea.
When I was there recently I just relied on WIFI which when you're out and about can get annoying but for the most part got the job done.
I'll be staying in Prestwick, on the coast.

The $30 plan is all you will need and it will warn you when you go over in additional $30 increments.

Just a heads up, unless you have an unlocked Nexus or something similar, your phone is sim-locked to an AT&T Sim only. Found that out the hard way. If your phone is paid off AT&T has to unlock if you ask for it. If not, they might still unlock if you tell them you are traveling abroad.

Reactions: UCFRogerz
Just a heads up, unless you have an unlocked Nexus or something similar, your phone is sim-locked to an AT&T Sim only. Found that out the hard way. If your phone is paid off AT&T has to unlock if you ask for it. If not, they might still unlock if you tell them you are traveling abroad.
Yeah I knew that I needed an unlocked phone but thanks. It only took them like 12 hours to approve the request. There is an online request where the make sure that your account/phone is in good standing and they will approve it.

Last trip to Europe, we used this linked card. Was good. Gives you local number in multiple countries around Europe and free inbound calls from US (in the specified list). Didn't have to drop $30, just $17. I think when I researched this none fo the competitors offered free local numbers in so many EU countries with such competitive rates.

Be careful with the data though, it will suck down that 5 GBP credit fast. As others have mentioned, use wi-fi for data needs. You have to re-up in $20 increments and card expires after 3 months of non-usage. That's where they get you, but I suspect lot of the competitors is the same. If you can get by with just the initial $17 shot, it's one of the cheaper alternatives out there with decend enough reviews.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UK-Prepaid-...458?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cce94da42

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT