ADVERTISEMENT

INTERVIEW: Former UCF RB Coach Ryan Held

ucf1

Bronze Knight
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2001
The Sons of UCF Podcast was joined by former UCF Running Back Coach Ryan Held (2016-17) to discuss his time with the Knights. Coach Held came to UCF as part of Scott Frost's staff, and immediately began to change the running back room by adding talented speedster Adrian Killins and the dynamic Juwon Hamilton. After a year of learning in 2016, the Knights turned in a historic season in 2017, going undefeated and winning the Peach Bowl. The 2017 team also featured a talented new face in Freshman Otis Anderson, who combined with Killins and Quarterback McKenzie Milton, formed a lethal running attack.

Unfortunately, all good things come to an end, and Coach Held and the staff left UCF and moved on to Nebraska. After several uneven years with the Cornhuskers, Coach Held has moved on again and is now a Head Coach at Nebraska-Kerney. However, after all of these years Coach Held looks back at the decision to leave, and wonders what could have been.

Click here to watch.

Reactions: DeezKnights
Credit goes to Adam for asking him some great questions. He obviously did his homework before the interview, and Held's answers were honest, which I appreciate.

Reactions: ucf1
haven’t watched yet but I will

following Frost’s whole staff those two seasons was a lot of fun. You could feel Held and Walters’s energy even during recruiting season . Fun time to be a UCF fan

following Frost’s whole staff those two seasons was a lot of fun. You could feel Held and Walters’s energy even during recruiting season . Fun time to be a UCF fan
Coach Held's energy jumps off the screen in this one! TT

Coach Held's energy jumps off the screen in this one! TT
A lot of guys off the 2017 staff are not employed as coaches or have received demotions.

Walters (WR Coach) is by far the best successful coach "post-UCF" off that staff.

Greg Little (OL Coach) is an assistant to the offensive line coach at Jacksonville.

Erik Chinander (DC) was promoted to assistant head coach at Boise State.

Mike Dawson (DL Coach) is an analyst at Kansas.

Jovan Dewitt (LB Coach) is the defensive coordinator at FIU.

Sean Beckton (TE Coach) is unemployed.

Mario Verduzco (QB Coach) is unemployed.

Scott Frost (Head Coach )is unemployed.

Held (RB Coach), per the interview, is a D2 head coach.

--30--

I say all that to say the only guys off Frost's staff who are equivalent or better than the guys on Gus's staff are Walters and maybe Little.

IMO, Dowson would be an upgrade over Ingram.

Last edited:
I say all that to say the only guys off Frost's staff who are equivalent or better than the guys on Gus's staff are Walters and maybe Little.
Little? I think you meant former OL coach, Greg Austin. Personally, I think Gus should look at Sean Beckton. I know every HC has 'his guys,' but Sean is a great recruiter, a good coach, and LOVES his alma mater. He'd be a great pick-up.

Reactions: ucf1
Little? I think you meant former OL coach, Greg Austin. Personally, I think Gus should look at Sean Beckton. I know every HC has 'his guys,' but Sean is a great recruiter, a good coach, and LOVES his alma mater. He'd be a great pick-up.
Agree with you on Coach Beckton. TT

Greg Little played at Ole Miss. My bad.

Given his desire to develop people and build a younger staff, Gus would likely promote the son to an on-the-field position before hiring the elder Beckton, who coaches wide receivers for the Predators, per his LinkedIn page.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaShuckster
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT