ADVERTISEMENT

INTERVIEW: QB Trainer Baylin Trujillo on training UCF QBs Thomas Castellanos & John Rhys Plumlee

ucf1

Bronze Knight
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2001
On this week's Sons of UCF LIVE, we're joined by Baylin Trujillo, the man behind BTru's Advanced QB Camp, who talks about his current training with UCF QB Thomas Castellanos and working with UCF QB John Rhys Plumlee last year. Plus, the latest on UCF Men's Basketball and more.

Click here to watch.

Reactions: mattropolis
Plumlee athletics...off the chart.

Plumlee QBing is B minus at best. I'm being nice.
I just don't have the sense he is going to be the starter for long.
Definitely, not through the whole season because if he can't act more like a QB he's
going to get injured in the Big 12 running the ball all the time.

Reactions: muckdawg24
On this week's Sons of UCF LIVE, we're joined by Baylin Trujillo, the man behind BTru's Advanced QB Camp, who talks about his current training with UCF QB Thomas Castellanos and working with UCF QB John Rhys Plumlee last year. Plus, the latest on UCF Men's Basketball and more.

Click here to watch.
I haven't watched the video.l, but I am going to assume that a man who is paid is complementary of the quarterbacks he trains. Am I right?

-----

“He’s a really hard worker,” said Joey Gatewood's personal quarterback trainer Denny Thompson. “Last year just from a mechanics perspective, an accuracy perspective and picking up the little intricacies of throwing the football and balance and base and things of that nature, he really dialed in and developed as a thrower. I’ve been working with Joey since Joey was in ninth grade. In the last 12 months we’ve seen the biggest development jump in that entire time.”

I haven't watched the video.l, but I am going to assume that a man who is paid is complementary of the quarterbacks he trains. Am I right?

-----

“He’s a really hard worker,” said Joey Gatewood's personal quarterback trainer Denny Thompson. “Last year just from a mechanics perspective, an accuracy perspective and picking up the little intricacies of throwing the football and balance and base and things of that nature, he really dialed in and developed as a thrower. I’ve been working with Joey since Joey was in ninth grade. In the last 12 months we’ve seen the biggest development jump in that entire time.”
You might be surprised by his comments.

He was very positive on McClain (and has worked with him previously). He mentioned that Timmy is polished both in and out of the pocket.
Yep. Also admitted that he'd taught Timmy in 8th grade so he has some history.

To paraphrase, he said...

Timmy is the most well-rounded, and has the best arm (freakish he said iirc). Also a big plus that he has starting experience. Do not be surprised if Timmy is the starter, but that said he thinks the only reason why JRP is coming back is because there's an agreement in place that he will be QB1.

Tommy has the fastest processing speed mentally, needs to learn touch with his passing, zips balls in too fast and makes him inaccurate, but is a very quick study.

JRP was blessed with an elite running ability that makes it difficult at times for him to trust the pocket. Also said that the baseball would be much worse if he were a pitcher. But there's just no way he can ever truly progress at the QB position without focusing on all the other things. The film, the studying, and the technique. That said, we all saw that he has the ability, but needs consistency.

Rizk will be working with him soon, but as an observer thinks he looks very promising.

Is disappointed that Keene didn't "stick it out".

Also....

Hinshaw will 100% be calling the plays. That's what Hinshaw is telling recruits and what Baylin is hearing from "insiders". Baylin is very excited about Hinshaw because he likes to mold his system around the QB's strengths, not a one size fits all system guy.

One of the more revealing interviews I've ever heard regarding Knights FB. Nicely done SONS 👍🏻

Reactions: Yaes and Wings0fred

Timmy is the most well-rounded, and has the best arm (freakish he said iirc). Also a big plus that he has starting experience. Do not be surprised if Timmy is the starter, but that said he thinks the only reason why JRP is coming back is because there's an agreement in place that he will be QB1.

Tommy has the fastest processing speed mentally, needs to learn touch with his passing, zips balls in too fast and makes him inaccurate, but is a very quick study.

JRP was blessed with an elite running ability that makes it difficult at times for him to trust the pocket. Also said that the baseball would be much worse if he were a pitcher. But there's just no way he can ever truly progress at the QB position without focusing on all the other things. The film, the studying, and the technique. That said, we all saw that he has the ability, but needs consistency.

Rizk will be working with him soon, but as an observer thinks he looks very promising.

Also....

Hinshaw will 100% be calling the plays. That's what Hinshaw is telling recruits and what Baylin is hearing from "insiders". Baylin is very excited about Hinshaw because he likes to mold his system around the QB's strengths, not a one size fits all system guy.

One of the more revealing interviews I've ever heard regarding Knights FB. Nicely done SONS 👍🏻
I said JRP is going to be starter if he’s healthy and some clown said no he won’t. There’s a true competition. There is not a was not this year. That’s why Mikey left. Timmy will leave too because that’s why he left USF.

-----

He wasn’t. He didn’t trash anybody either. He stated strengths and weaknesses for Plumlee, Tommy and Timmy. Pretty objective assessment.

Also....

It was nice to hear someone not give so much “coach speak”, which essentially says nothing.

Reactions: akahotsizzle
I appreciate this dude's unbiased viewpoints, so refreshing.

He did confirm my concerns about JRP and his lack of dedication to football. That being said, he believes JRP will be QB#1 when the dust settles. At first, I was afraid, now I'm just petrified for 2023. I'm praying either Castellanos or Timmy can really blossom during the Spring, takeover and never look back.

Reactions: Knight59
ADVERTISEMENT