ADVERTISEMENT

Is a 7-0 start outside the realm of possibilities?

After GT and Navy I'm not sure how our dline will recover. Gotta take a lot out of you to get run over for 500 yards in a game twice

Reactions: UCFhonors
We haven't seen any teams like GT AND Navy in awhile and now we will be seeing them twice in a 5 week span. It would feel and look so odd watching teams run for 400-500 yards on us. I mean Tulsa and USF had some big rushing totals on us last year, but not like these 2 teams are capable of. The GT QB ran the ball 44 times and he's like 185-190 lbs. That's nuts. He won't last the season. They ran it 86 times for 535 yards.

We can't really expect to hold Navy or GT under 300 yards rushing, so we are just going to have to outscore them. Our offense is much more balanced.

Depth and 3rd down stops will be the keys on defense.

I can see that happening. Can you? :eek:
giphy.gif

Will not get by Maryland or GT unless things change.
Unless things change? Look i also realize they are both good teams but week 1 vs Texas and Tennessee (who although they were top 25, arent exactly top tier teams anymore nor are they anywhere near their prime).

Texas' defense is probably on par with FIU at this point, havent been good in years, and Tennessee, well who knows whats going on there. They show up 1 week then are absolutely garbage the next and almost lose to app state. Plus their QB is god awful at Tenn.

Then it was also week 1, which as you can attest to with S Jose St and even Stony Brook, you never know what to expect week 1 or 2. Teams are energized, nobody has seen their new personnel etc. GT has a QB who nobody has seen etc.

I agree its our toughest stretch but having only 1 game to judge, i think it was more a case of both UT's being highly overrated as usual in combination with MD and GT fielding very solid teams.

We can't really expect to hold Navy or GT under 300 yards rushing, so we are just going to have to outscore them. Our offense is much more balanced.
This is where #UCFast comes in. We have to outscore them, attempt to control the pace early on and get momentum stops.

Reactions: Mikesi
I can see the ratio of one's head to reality being 7 - 0 ...

Oh wait, already there I see.

The Cows aren't playing those teams. UCF is. Jizzbull!!!!!!

BullJizz, you better get off our board and get out and put butts in your seats, or you will be stepping down to FCS...

As Charlie said in the 1st qtr of the Stony Brook game: "Where the F is everyone?"

Reactions: Mikesi and UCFBS
BullJizz, you better get off our board and get out and put butts in your seats, or you will be stepping down to FCS...
As Charlie said in the 1st qtr of the Stony Brook game: "Where the F is everyone?"
Can you imagine UCF in the top 25 ... and people not showing up?

Wasn't true in the '00s, and is definitely not now in the '10s.

At most, I remember the 'drop off' in 2010 weeks after we were ranked in the top 25, then lost, by the time the Conference Championship was played. But even then it took several weeks.

Can you imagine UCF in the top 25 ... and people not showing up?

Wasn't true in the '00s, and is definitely not now in the '10s.

At most, I remember the 'drop off' in 2010 weeks after we were ranked in the top 25, then lost, by the time the Conference Championship was played. But even then it took several weeks.
If we were ranked 19th and expected to go 12-0, we would never ever have 16,000 fans. That's nuts

Will not get by Maryland or GT unless things change.
Yes GT is a strong running team. However, we have generally stated proudly that our strength is our front 7 and especially our Dline. So actually, their strength plays to our strength. I am not saying we would easily stop GT's run game, but I think it will be a great matchup. Do NOT underrate the power of our front line or the quickness of our LBs this year. We have several Dlinemen who likely project as NFL draftees or top line free agents.

Note: this is a game where, our biggest defensive weakness, the secondary, may be only a footnote, as GT only throws rarely. So yes, if our front 7 plays the way that they are capable of, we can "manage" the impact of their potent offense...i.e. hold them to less than 30 pts.

Also, as power5 teams go, GT is a team that offensively we have a better chance against as their Dline, as compared to most P5 teams, is undersized. This can assist our now sizeable front line in pass protecting for MM, and also in creating run lanes for our talented backs. Not saying we will be an offensive juggernaut against GT, but we have a good chance of scoring just as well as they do, (if our D performs as it can) i.e. making it a close enough contest that anything can happen in the end.

Lol this isn't GOLs team anymore. Except for Mikesi the consensus i get is that our job is to keep Ga Tech off the field but our D cant match up. Our style isnt like that anymore. I won't be surprised if Ga Tech score points and we might have to answer for each one, but our goal is to jump out to a big lead, control early on because team's like that arent meant for volume scoring in short spurts. At least if we fall behind we can answer back and fast.

Lol this isn't GOLs team anymore. Except for Mikesi the consensus i get is that our job is to keep Ga Tech off the field but our D cant match up. Our style isnt like that anymore. I won't be surprised if Ga Tech score points and we might have to answer for each one, but our goal is to jump out to a big lead, control early on because team's like that arent meant for volume scoring in short spurts. At least if we fall behind we can answer back and fast.
Absolutely. They throw the balll only a handful of times a game. We don't want to try to match up with them grinding it out. We want to score quickly and often and take them out of their gameplan if at all possible.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
There's only a very small amount of teams in this country that can stop GT's ground game and one of them starts with an "A". Let's not fool ourselves and think it's going to be us and get suckered into playing right into their hands. Yes, our defensive line is excellent and so are some of our linebackers, but it won't necessarily be enough to stop a relentless running game for 4 quarters.

The old Oregon team wouid beat GT
I know we aren't Oregon (yet), but Frost and company will have a sound gameplan. It will be very similar, but not exactly the same against Navy

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
7-0? If we're 7-0 then we're undefeated and the only next matchup that would be tough will be USF.

If we can handle GT even at home then I don't think Navy will be a problem. But that's a huge If.

While our style isn't like that any more, I still like our front 7. Will we beat Ga Tech? Probably not. And you're right, we run a quick O, which hurts us against ball control teams like Tech. But I don't think we'll get killed.

As always, we'll see ...

While our style isn't like that any more, I still like our front 7. Will we beat Ga Tech? Probably not. And you're right, we run a quick O, which hurts us against ball control teams like Tech. But I don't think we'll get killed.
As always, we'll see ...
Yes, and our weak suit will be pass defense until our new db's gain more experience and make their mistakes. GaTech is not a passing team. So good prep and sure tacking drills are the critical part. We're not nearly as short handed as we were on defense this year -- it's just that the LB's and DB's are younger and less experienced.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT