ADVERTISEMENT

Is Baseball in Trouble?

It’s changed a ton over the past couple of years. With sabermetrics being used by every team, defensive shifts taking advantage of hitters tendencies have changed the way guys approach hitting. They either have to become a better player and use all angles of the field or they have to get air under the ball and attempt to hit it out of the park. They are teaching players to use launch angles and use their power which has resulted in a huge uptick in homeruns over the past few years.

Thank you for actually answering me instead of getting triggered when people are literally just having a conversation.

Are the games still the same length? I guess my issue with it is there’s too much “dead time”.

My personal opinion on the subject ... in case anybody cares ...

I went to a MLB game last week and FROZE MY A$$ off. The weather is miserable up north and baseball is not fun to play or watch in freezing weather. I left after 5 innings. Attendance has to be effected by this crazy March/April weather.

The kneeling in football has changed me with regard to NFL football. I'm for freedom of expression so I don't care what people do and I don't think players should be suspended or fined for doing it. However, I'm also for my own freedom of deciding I don't like things...and I don't like it. All the more reason for me to love college athletics more and the NFL less. We all have the freedom to choose.

Still to this date, I wouldn't go to an Orlando City game if somebody gave me free tickets and $100.00 cash. Players rolling around on the ground like they got shot with an AR-15 and then getting up and sprinting full speed down the field 10 seconds later is just really f'ing stupid to me and I can't watch it. However, the light at the end of the tunnel is, I have watched some games on TV and I'm warming up to it. So there is hope.

Reactions: 1ofTheseKnights
My personal opinion on the subject ... in case anybody cares ...

I went to a MLB game last week and FROZE MY A$$ off. The weather is miserable up north and baseball is not fun to play or watch in freezing weather. I left after 5 innings. Attendance has to be effected by this crazy March/April weather.

The kneeling in football has changed me with regard to NFL football. I'm for freedom of expression so I don't care what people do and I don't think players should be suspended or fined for doing it. However, I'm also for my own freedom of deciding I don't like things...and I don't like it. All the more reason for me to love college athletics more and the NFL less. We all have the freedom to choose.

Still to this date, I wouldn't go to an Orlando City game if somebody gave me free tickets and $100.00 cash. Players rolling around on the ground like they got shot with an AR-15 and then getting up and sprinting full speed down the field 10 seconds later is just really f'ing stupid to me and I can't watch it. However, the light at the end of the tunnel is, I have watched some games on TV and I'm warming up to it. So there is hope.

Orlando City games are a blast, even if you don’t like soccer. The atmosphere is great.

Reactions: UCFWayne
I didn’t mean of course you did like you didn’t actually go. I meant it like, of course you did, because you always bring up you travel to Europe and thus must know everything about their lives and culture. You’re a know it all, just like chemmie claims to be.

Ok buddy. You said I know “nothing” about soccer and I respond to pointing out that I’ve been to EPL games and played as a kid, and then you get defensive.

Jesus

Ok buddy. You said I know “nothing” about soccer and I respond to pointing out that I’ve been to EPL games and played as a kid, and then you get defensive.

Jesus

Are you being serious? Can someone back me up here? You straight up said, "I don't know that much about soccer." and now you do?

I have nothing against baseball. I don't want it to die, I don't think it will die. I personally think it's boring, as do many other. A lot of people think football is boring and we both can agree we think otherwise.

The only thing I've said about baseball is that it would be shortsighted of the league to not proactively think about a future decline in interest based on a lot of factors. This isn't exclusive towards baseball either, this is in most sports.

I didn't slight the MLB, YOU slighted MLS and I simply stated the information you tried to use against it was wrong. MLS has a "UCF" problem. It's young. A large chunk of the population didn't have an MLS team to root for growing up. That's changing. In Orlando, for example, people are growing up to love Orlando City. They've tied themselves into the community (really, really well actually) and that will help grow the league and the game.

You're honestly flipping out over...I don't even know what?

Uh - you brought up soccer. There was zero mention of it in the OP. So yes, you're crazy...also NO ONE said anything about a couple years. It would be short sighted by any professional sports league to just dismiss soccer, its obviously a growing sport that has an incredibly long season.

..and for what it's worth, I cannot name an MLB star other than Bryce Harper - cause I thought he was hot.
i posted this like i do most of my other threads because i know there are alot of baseball fans on here and i know they will respond. i didnt sh;t on baseball in my post even though i have in the past. i thought there were some decent issues the article itself brought up, tanking being a big one. nba and other sports have even mentioned that as being a big problem for their own sport.

i think its mostly the weather causing all the issues, but i think there are other reasons its not resonating with younger fans right now. of course 85 had to get triggered so he had to sh't on soccer in response.

Are you being serious? Can someone back me up here? You straight up said, "I don't know that much about soccer." and now you do?

I have nothing against baseball. I don't want it to die, I don't think it will die. I personally think it's boring, as do many other. A lot of people think football is boring and we both can agree we think otherwise.

The only thing I've said about baseball is that it would be shortsighted of the league to not proactively think about a future decline in interest based on a lot of factors. This isn't exclusive towards baseball either, this is in most sports.

I didn't slight the MLB, YOU slighted MLS and I simply stated the information you tried to use against it was wrong. MLS has a "UCF" problem. It's young. A large chunk of the population didn't have an MLS team to root for growing up. That's changing. In Orlando, for example, people are growing up to love Orlando City. They've tied themselves into the community (really, really well actually) and that will help grow the league and the game.

You're honestly flipping out over...I don't even know what?

I'm not flipping out. You just wrote a UCFBS-type response to me because I said that I've attended EPL games and at least know something about soccer. You're the one who said I know "nothing", despite the fact I never said that.

Relax. Soccer is not worth this triggering.

I'm not flipping out. You just wrote a UCFBS-type response to me because I said that I've attended EPL games and at least know something about soccer. You're the one who said I know "nothing", despite the fact I never said that.

Relax. Soccer is not worth this triggering.

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

I need to get out to one. Never been to a live soccer match other than youth.
you should go but try and watch from the wall with the ilf or ruckus. you can normally get tickets from ilf/ruckus members for $25 a game. i think you know tyler and he could probably get you a spare.

BTW, you know what's hilarious here? You absolutely lost your shit on Wayne recently for a post he made because you said it fit a pattern of posting of his that you detected, and there was more to the story than the story itself. It had to do with the leaning of the stories posted.

I am essentially saying the exact same thing here, and you're having none of it. Too funny.

Wayne has been badmouthing baseball in the hopes of getting people to start watching soccer for a long, long time now. Hence I knew exactly what angle this story was posted from.

Tyler and I have met a couple times . He hasn’t invited me . That’s why I’m trolling bq for an invite
if bq ends up inviting you out i might try and go as well. little harder to plan with 2 young kids but i will try and make it work.

Reactions: btbones
BTW, you know what's hilarious here? You absolutely lost your shit on Wayne recently for a post he made because you said it fit a pattern of posting of his that you detected, and there was more to the story than the story itself. It had to do with the leaning of the stories posted.

I am essentially saying the exact same thing here, and you're having none of it. Too funny.

Wayne has been badmouthing baseball in the hopes of getting people to start watching soccer for a long, long time now. Hence I knew exactly what angle this story was posted from.

Keep going 85, keep going.

they are realistically the same person but on opposite ends of the political spectrum
I give the edge to @NinjaKnight as of late. That's sad, because I would normally agree with Ninja more than 85. But Ninja goes full hyperbole, like right from the US Mainstream Media, at times. That and the accusations towards 85 that don't seem to die.

I give the edge to @NinjaKnight as of late. That's sad, because I would normally agree with Ninja more than 85. But Ninja goes full hyperbole, like right from the US Mainstream Media, at times. That and the accusations towards 85 that don't seem to die.

Counterpoint - this thread.

Ninja is obviously trolling, on the other hand, I can't tell if 85 is as well or actually thinks he's always right.

How the hell did I get pulled into this.

Baseball sucks, not surprised about the quality of posters flipping out while defending it.

A

I don't know soccer that well. I do know that the MLS, in total, is a $780M league which is just barely ahead of the Turkish Soccer league. The MLS currently has more in common with the Korean Baseball League than the NHL, which is a $3.8B sports league. Even the Premier League is only 50% of the size of the MLB.

The MLS isn't even in the same stratosphere as any of the other major sports leagues. But they'll surpass hockey and baseball in just a few years, and stuff.

Jesus

[roll]:joy:[roll]:joy:[roll]:joy:

Counterpoint - this thread.
Ninja is obviously trolling, on the other hand, I can't tell if 85 is as well or actually thinks he's always right.
I'm not talking about when he's trolling. I'm talking about when he's dead serious.

That's not accurate. The Rays deal is set to be $50M/year for now and would average out to be $82M/year. The deal runs until 2033 too.

MLS deal is worth about $90 mill a year and runs until 2022, which, unless something weird happens, you can expect that to rise, just at the fact their adding teams.

The Rays deal is also for ALL Rays games (unless they're on national TV). This is for a few games on the weekend. I don't think the amount of games would even add up to a whole baseball season.

Anyway, Baseball sucks and unless it changes, I see it running into issues once the current generation of fans isn't there.
im not very good at math, but i thought id give it a shot as a per minute dollar value.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer_on_television

using 2016 espn/espn2/fs1/fox/univision combined games: 102 with 120 minutes for a broad cast

total minutes: 102 x 120 = 12,240

$90m tv contract / 12,240 = $7,352.94 per minute

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.draysbay.com/2018/3/5/17080782/tampa-bay-rays-television-schedule-2018-fox-sports-sun

using 2018 rays schedule: 3 games nationally fs1 and 159 games on fox sports sun
baseball games last 3:05 or 185 minutes

total minutes: 159 x 185 = 29,415

$82m tv contract / 29,415 = $2,787.69

that doesnt even take into consideration the pre and post game shows that are likely part of the deal while mls doesnt have them in their deal.

this was more of a response to 85 claiming that the rays alone are some how worth more than all of mls. i get mls isnt that close to mlb or most of the other big sports in this country. i just wanted to show that mls is indeed valuable especially for only being 20 years old, having to compete against entrenched sports leagues, and not even being the most popular soccer league in this country. hell mls isnt even in every major city yet. they are still expanding and cities/ownership groups are trying their best to get in.

if you dont like soccer or mls that is fine. if you dont like baseball or any other sport thats fine.

Hey now, I’m defending it with 85. I love baseball. By far my favorite sport. But if the Cooler is going to go on a field trip @bqknight @UCFWayne to an OCSC match I would be interested in going.
i would be up for a meeting at a bar to pre game and then going together. as long as we go in the supporter section.
@bqknight @Ace of Knights @btbones i cant remember what tylers name is on here...

they are realistically the same person but on opposite ends of the political spectrum

I've been called a lot of things on this board, even told to kill myself.

This is hands down and away by far 100% the worst insult.

Luckily it was posted by wayne, so I can chalk it up to ignorance and not malice. Probably doesn't even crack top his personal 10 stupidest/most wrong things posted.

Last edited:
I've been called a lot of things on this board, even told to kill myself.

This is hands down and away by far 100% the worst insult.

Luckily it was posted by wayne, so I can chalk it up to stupidity and not malice. Probably doesn't even crack top his personal 10 stupidest/most wrong things posted.

You’re a degernate who uses Retard as an insult, claims Bob wants to exterminate Muslims, lies about me admitting to taking drugs, admits they you detest your coworkers behind their backs, and admit that you use this board only as your personal soundboard to spew the hate and insults you want to do but can’t ordinarily.

You have single handedly ruined this board

You’re a degernate who uses Retard as an insult, claims Bob wants to exterminate Muslims, lies about me admitting to taking drugs, admits they you detest your coworkers behind their backs, and admit that you use this board only as your personal soundboard to spew the hate and insults you want to do but can’t ordinarily.

You have single handedly ruined this board

:joy:[roll]:joy:[roll]:joy:

You really want to go there? Comparing stuff on this board? Really? You are not a smart person.

Lets see: To start with you have told multiple board members to kill themselves. Repeatedly broken rules 3 and 4 of the WC by personally targeting members with personal insults unrelated to the content being discussed. You are constantly lying, claiming I am insulting you (despite me asking dozens of times for proof, and I'll ask again).

You have literally looked up board members AND THEIR WIVES on facebook and other social media only to harass and stalk them. all over political differences. You have lost your mind.

Just got back from the Padres game. Stadium was at least half full. Definitely a young to middle age crowd with many families. Great atmosphere. Not bad for a Wednesday night.

I went to a Double A game last Friday, it was close to sold out (5,000+). Tons of young families but noticeably more blue hairs. Again a great crowd and atmosphere.

Baseball seems o.k. to me.

Just got back from the Padres game. Stadium was at least half full. Definitely a young to middle age crowd with many families. Great atmosphere. Not bad for a Wednesday night.

I went to a Double A game last Friday, it was close to sold out (5,000+). Tons of young families but noticeably more blue hairs. Again a great crowd and atmosphere.

Baseball seems o.k. to me.

Minor league stadiums are thriving right now. The Clearwater Single A team often draws 5,000 on Friday’s when they run food and drink specials or family nights. It helps they have a Frenchys outdoor bar in left field.

https://sports.yahoo.com/10-degrees...r-something-far-worse-baseball-152051024.html

attendance is way down across the board. of course there has been some really crappy weather too. i bet that the tv ratings are better but still not a good sign for mlb.

24 games postponed so far...6 on Sunday alone. Hell, Toronto has a dome and they cancelled yesterday's game. With more snow expected in Chicagoland tomorrow, probably another 3-4.

Put it this way, when 18 of the 30 teams play in cold-weather cities, and only two of those teams have domes, that’s going to be trouble. And it is. The 24 postponements so far are the second-most Major League Baseball has had in April since 2000, and there’s still almost half the month to go.

The game is fine...just bad weather. The "anonymous" league official needs to be fired. It's just freakn COLD.

Average temperature at first pitch Detroit Tiger games so far this year (including many day games) has been 41 degrees.

It's just been a freak COLD Spring in many parts of the country. Did Punxsutawney Phil predict that?

Average temperature at first pitch Detroit Tiger games so far this year (including many day games) has been 41 degrees.

It's just been a freak COLD Spring in many parts of the country. Did Punxsutawney Phil predict that?

It was 28 degrees for the Sporting KC game last weekend and they had 18K there.

Reactions: UCFWayne
ADVERTISEMENT