ADVERTISEMENT

Is the B12 on the verge of a major change?

Psycho Jim

Bronze Knight
Oct 21, 2011
Interesting article, says there is little to no interest in UCF or UCWF but there is almost nothing that will get the votes for expansion unless there is more money for each school.
I did not know how much ESPN is losing on the Longhorn network. That is a huge problem for all the B12.
They will probably:
1. Do nothing
2. Think about adding teams with large media areas (UCONN, UCF...) while thinking of converting the Longhorn Network into a B12 network
3. Do nothing

http://www.campusrush.com/big-12-conference-questions-future-expansion-1528668401.html

Interesting article, says there is little to no interest in UCF or UCWF but there is almost nothing that will get the votes for expansion unless there is more money for each school.
I did not know how much ESPN is losing on the Longhorn network. That is a huge problem for all the B12.
They will probably:
1. Do nothing
2. Think about adding teams with large media areas (UCONN, UCF...) while thinking of converting the Longhorn Network into a B12 network
3. Do nothing

http://www.campusrush.com/big-12-conference-questions-future-expansion-1528668401.html

Only reason Texas is still in the Big 12 is the longhorn network. They are gone if something changes.

Yes and UCF won't be a part of it unless they went to 14 teams. If the big 12 liked UCF then they would have been invited already.

Yes and UCF won't be a part of it unless they went to 14 teams. If the big 12 liked UCF then they would have been invited already.

I'm not sure about your point. If the
big 12 liked any teams out there they
would have already been invited. BYU
doesn't have an invite either. Leagues
are about money and even though BYU
has a decent following of those in the
Mormon faith they bring nothing else to
the table. What other upside do they have?

ESPN is helping broker a lot of these deals. If ESPN can make more money
off off the TV market first them brand
second then your getting an invite.

I really think ESPN wishes UCF and
USF were about 20 years down the road today. Both schools would have
more money, larger fan bases and
more accomplishments. It would be a
easier sell to major conferences. Not
to mention in 20 years the Tampa/Orlando markets will be even
greater in size.

I'm not sure about your point. If the
big 12 liked any teams out there they
would have already been invited. BYU
doesn't have an invite either. Leagues
are about money and even though BYU
has a decent following of those in the
Mormon faith they bring nothing else to
the table. What other upside do they have?

ESPN is helping broker a lot of these deals. If ESPN can make more money
off off the TV market first them brand
second then your getting an invite.

I really think ESPN wishes UCF and
USF were about 20 years down the road today. Both schools would have
more money, larger fan bases and
more accomplishments. It would be a
easier sell to major conferences. Not
to mention in 20 years the Tampa/Orlando markets will be even
greater in size.

Masterbater...................er Gaytor never has a point. The dude is just here to troll. The rest of your post is spot on, right now the B12 is splitting the pie 10 ways vs. 12 which equates to mo' money per team. OU made the 4 team playoff this year so unless the B1G's resistance to conference championship game regulation relaxation is upheld there is no motivation for the B12 to invite 2 more mouths to feed, consequently I don't believe expansion appears to be imminent.

Masterbater...................er Gaytor never has a point. The dude is just here to troll. The rest of your post is spot on, right now the B12 is splitting the pie 10 ways vs. 12 which equates to mo' money per team. OU made the 4 team playoff this year so unless the B1G's resistance to conference championship game regulation relaxation is upheld there is no motivation for the B12 to invite 2 more mouths to feed, consequently I don't believe expansion appears to be imminent.

NestaKnight. There is a clause in their television contract, that if they add more teams to the conference, the money per team would remain the same and the overall conference would get more. This is something that the conference commissioner was trying to deny for years and just now recently came to light.

The problem with expansion is the same that the Big East had with expansion. They have a weak ass conference commissioner that would rather keep the status quo and not ruffle the feathers of the conference big wigs like Texas. What they always fail to realize is that Texas doesnt give a crap about the conference and would leave for a better offer any day.

Everyone says Texas will bolt. Where?

I don't believe for a minute they would consider the PAC 12. Texas is on Central time, they are not going to move to a conference where all but two schools are in the Pacific Time Zone. Additionally the schools are too far away for their fan base to travel.

Big 10...Nebraska would have major issues with Texas joining. Plus I can't see Texas wanting to join a conference full of Yankees.

SEC....no way in hell Texas A&M would sign off.

ACC....possible but football not as good as Big 12.

Reactions: Knight_Fyre
In the end the better football/basketball schools of the ACC and the BIG12 form or merge into a conference. This will likely take place over a few convulsive years in the same way that the best teams of the former BigEast were swallowed up or merged elsewhere. A conference containing Texas, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, FSU, Miami, VaTech, Clemson, UNC, NCState, Duke, GaTech would command Huge...er...Yuuuuuggge money from whomever they deal with, TV or otherwise. The lesser universities, with respect to football/basketball teams, leftover from those two conferences will then be added to the heap of schools we're always helping to comprise. This second tier set of conferences will also sort themselves out in the same familiar way we've seen in the past between what remained of the BigEast and CUSA. As an alumni that loves watching Knight football I don't look forward to this end result, but nothing I've seen over the last handful of years shows me a different way that this pans out. If any of the current power conferences were truly interested in adding UCF, but, perhaps, were wary of making an overt show of interest due to the potential outcries of apostasy against adding "directional" schools (UCF/USF) from their own fan base they would have pulled the trigger shortly after the Fiesta Bowl win as that could have been used to generate support for a directional finally "arriving" thus worthy of an invite. It didn't happen -- we heard crickets. I suspect schools from both the ACC and BIG12 are thinking bigger than we'd like to believe, and when faced with the choice of creating a major conference to rival or exceed the others or rolling the dice by going after two directional schools with a decent TV market they'll opt to try and go big with the former.

In the end the better football/basketball schools of the ACC and the BIG12 form or merge into a conference. This will likely take place over a few convulsive years in the same way that the best teams of the former BigEast were swallowed up or merged elsewhere. A conference containing Texas, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, FSU, Miami, VaTech, Clemson, UNC, NCState, Duke, GaTech would command Huge...er...Yuuuuuggge money from whomever they deal with, TV or otherwise. The lesser universities, with respect to football/basketball teams, leftover from those two conferences will then be added to the heap of schools we're always helping to comprise. This second tier set of conferences will also sort themselves out in the same familiar way we've seen in the past between what remained of the BigEast and CUSA. As an alumni that loves watching Knight football I don't look forward to this end result, but nothing I've seen over the last handful of years shows me a different way that this pans out. If any of the current power conferences were truly interested in adding UCF, but, perhaps, were wary of making an overt show of interest due to the potential outcries of apostasy against adding "directional" schools (UCF/USF) from their own fan base they would have pulled the trigger shortly after the Fiesta Bowl win as that could have been used to generate support for a directional finally "arriving" thus worthy of an invite. It didn't happen -- we heard crickets. I suspect schools from both the ACC and BIG12 are thinking bigger than we'd like to believe, and when faced with the choice of creating a major conference to rival or exceed the others or rolling the dice by going after two directional schools with a decent TV market they'll opt to try and go big with the former.

The ACC has 14 schools and ND in all sports but football. Your list of schools for forming a new hybrid ACC/Big 12 would require the following schools to be dropped from the Power 5:

Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Virginia
Wake Forest
Louisville
Notre Dame
Iowa State
Kansas State
Kansas
Texas Tech
West Virginia
Baylor

Good luck with that one!

Virginia Tech cannot move w/o Virginia (state government says so)
TCU and Texas would not be allowed to move w/o Baylor and Texas Tech coming along (state politics)

The ACC has 14 schools and ND in all sports but football. Your list of schools for forming a new hybrid ACC/Big 12 would require the following schools to be dropped from the Power 5:

Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Virginia
Wake Forest
Louisville
Notre Dame
Iowa State
Kansas State
Kansas
Texas Tech
West Virginia
Baylor

Good luck with that one!

Virginia Tech cannot move w/o Virginia (state government says so)
TCU and Texas would not be allowed to move w/o Baylor and Texas Tech coming along (state politics)

I understand the logistics, politics and pressure that would always come into play with a re-alignment of that magnitude, but I look at your list above and I could see 5 or 6 schools whose alumni wouldn't be able prevent a demotion to a non-power 5 conference if the other larger schools and espn wanted it. The other 6 or 7 could just as easily be kept as part of a much larger Big12/ACC converged conference. Or, maybe a Power5 becomes a Power6 with the leftovers from the list above and a couple of schools like ours. The point I'm not doing a good job of making is that those universities that are use to the exclusivity, power, prestige and money that comes with being perennial members of the Power5 conferences have created a "club" mentality that those universities work hard to protect. In the past those same players have been reluctant to dilute the brand, in their eyes, by taking other universities with less perceived prestige, history and tradition. Instead, they've opted to play musical chairs and steal-from/merge-with each other etc. I see them continuing to try that instead of the strategy of growing new members. I hope I'm wrong.

[laughing][roll][laughing]
Congrats on such a childish response. Don't be mad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT