ADVERTISEMENT

Is the lack of yardage running up the middle, play calling or is it the running backs?

There isnt a reason to run the ball on 2nd and 19 when you are winning by 10. The passing game wasn't bad, but Mack never got a chance to get in a rhythm. I also dont understand the run up the middle over and over game. Unless Heup is sitting on a whole different running game for USF and Bama.

We ran for over 300, and won by several scores. Backup QB starting at a road conference. Very happy with how the team fought through adversity....yet again.

Reactions: MckenzieMilton10
I'm ok with continuing to use basic play calling and saving the big stuff for games and situations when we actually need it.

Its a combination of missed assignments by the OL and the running backs not being able to break a tackle. Would like to see Killins getting a chance to use his speed on some sweeps, or even some form of a triple option with a wr in motion as the pitch man. I'm not sure we were holding a lot back last week down 16 to Memphis and the running game looked similar with the exception of the jet sweep to Marlon Williams.

Reactions: Knight Strength
There isnt a reason to run the ball on 2nd and 19 when you are winning by 10. The passing game wasn't bad, but Mack never got a chance to get in a rhythm. I also dont understand the run up the middle over and over game. Unless Heup is sitting on a whole different running game for USF and Bama.
Mack almost threw 2 picks that bounced off defenders chest. But whatever you say coach.

The Killins up-the-middle thing is enormously unproductive.

And has been since last season.

EVERYONE else that carries the ball has at minimum some moderate success.

Killins does not get to, or see, the holes quick enough.

Wasted downs every game.

At minimum, rotate the carries among TB's more frequently.

Reactions: Shark59
It’s frustrating seeing up the middle a lot but past 2 games we also seen runs to the house. The more I see McRae play the more I think he is our RB of the future.

Reactions: Mikesi
Killins is the 4th ranked runningback on the team. While Otis is not as fast, he has much better vision, hands, and football IQ. Taj and McRae both can go north south and are much better breaking tackles.

Killins is a 5-10 touch a game player where you find creative ways to get those touches. He is a weapon but offense should not run through him

So we are all good continuing to run Killins up the middle for short gains over and over again over Taj and McRae? Because we won vs ECU everything should stay the same?

Out of those 300 yards, Killins had 44

Ok
This....

Its good to be lucky, but man was this team lucky that the opponent was ECU yesterday. Heupel needs to reassess what exactly he wants this offense to look like.

Reactions: knightraveler
Its either the wrong plays or the wrong personnel. Nothing wrong with either but putting them together has not been fruitful.

Would like to see us running Killins along with McRae, Taj, or Otis out of the backfield.

Its either the wrong plays or the wrong personnel. Nothing wrong with either but putting them together has not been fruitful.

Would like to see us running Killins along with McRae, Taj, or Otis out of the backfield.

The days of one guy getting the ball 30 times are over. The more rb’s we have the more dynamic we become. And the past 2 weeks we seen a different style rb take it to the house. It’s more looks for the defense.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Killins is averaging 4.7 yards per carry. The lowest of his career

McRae 8.9
Taj McGowan 6.9
Otis Anderson 5.8

Killins is the 4th ranked runningback on the team. While Otis is not as fast, he has much better vision, hands, and football IQ. Taj and McRae both can go north south and are much better breaking tackles.

Killins is a 5-10 touch a game player where you find creative ways to get those touches. He is a weapon but offense should not run through him
Otis has better hands? Sorry but you lost all credibility there. Otis has dropped several passes and has 2 fumbles. Killins has 0 drops and 0 fumbles on more touches.

I was fine with the games outcome, but agree we got conservative after the turnover on ECU 35 yard line. 3 runs did not cut it. The offense should have put the game away after that turnover. Lucky the score was not 23 to 17 after that.:sunglasses:

Last edited:
Ya, the whole "we're holding back" nonsense is stupid. Heupel is just not the offensive mastermind that Frost was, pure and simple.
I disagree totally. If anything, they’re comparable play callers. I think Heup tries to keep the Defense honest to set up other plays. Heup has had better success on 4th down than Frosty did. Look at last night’s game (Quadry to Killins TD) I don’t recall seeing a bubble screen double pass during a Frost era.

I disagree totally. If anything, they’re comparable play callers. I think Heup tries to keep the Defense honest to set up other plays. Heup has had better success on 4th down than Frosty did. Look at last night’s game (Quadry to Killins TD) I don’t recall seeing a bubble screen double pass during a Frost era.
Frost did during the first USF game with T. Payton, either it was bubble or jet sweep

Reactions: Stormthecourt?

I dont mean this to come across wrong, but if you're claiming that Heupel is a better play caller than Frost because he uses gimmick plays then your perspective is awry. Its great to have those plays at your disposal but they are high risk and shouldnt be something you hang your hat on. System-wise, it couldnt be more clear that Frosts is better at this point than Heupels is regardless of the box score particularly with the weapons that UCF has in its arsenal. Heupel definitely seems to have the intelligence and acumen to succeed but he really needs to take a better inventory of what he has on the roster, what those players can do, and what how he can adjust to it. It isnt necessarily a "square peg, round hole" type of situation but it isnt ideal.

I dont mean this to come across wrong, but if you're claiming that Heupel is a better play caller than Frost because he uses gimmick plays then your perspective is awry. Its great to have those plays at your disposal but they are high risk and shouldnt be something you hang your hat on. System-wise, it couldnt be more clear that Frosts is better at this point than Heupels is regardless of the box score particularly with the weapons that UCF has in its arsenal. Heupel definitely seems to have the intelligence and acumen to succeed but he really needs to take a better inventory of what he has on the roster, what those players can do, and what how he can adjust to it. It isnt necessarily a "square peg, round hole" type of situation but it isnt ideal.
So you agree with Frost running Killins on 3rd and 4th and 1 all the damn time last year?

Last edited:
I agree with this, but it IS an ideal situation. It’s up to Heupel to make it work like Frost did. It’s definitely possible even with a slightly new system

He needs to play the best players and stop falling in love with Killins potential to break one up the middle. I’m frankly tired of it and so are the fans. 7-0 or not.

To say Heupel is holding back stuff is ridiculous after 7 games and one near loss.
I cringe everytime I hear that.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Otis has better hands? Sorry but you lost all credibility there. Otis has dropped several passes and has 2 fumbles. Killins has 0 drops and 0 fumbles on more touches.
Otis's hands seem to have no issues here in one the most high pressure situations possible.

Maybe the playcaller needs to put him and the other RBs in a better position to succeed.

Reactions: Mikesi
So you agree with Frost running Killins on 3rd and 4th and 1 all the damn time last year?

Not in the least. I really have no idea what the thought process was there. Clearly Frost has had an issue with balancing aggressiveness and playing smart on 4th down, and this year you can see that he is trying to figure that out but still hasnt had success. Maybe he will find some magic solution to it, or maybe he'll just have to admit defeat and become more measured there. I've known Scott since 1997 and he's a cocky dude. It seems like he has a bit too much confidence in himself still and the worst part of that comes out on those 4th down calls.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT