ADVERTISEMENT

Is the lack of yardage running up the middle, play calling or is it the running backs?

I really appreciate this perspective. I just think we could be better and if we don't improve this one issue, there's a good chance losing happens this season.
No doubt. And odds are, UCF will lose a game this season. CJH will never be the same as Frost but Frost isn't exactly perfect, as has been pointed out many times. That doesnt mean either of them are not worthy of praise. Hell, nebraska is 1-6 but its hard to not see that Frost is fixing things. CJH is undefeated so far and he is also transitioning a team. Thats pretty frigging impressive. Seriously, you guys have a really good coach and so do my huskers. Both are proving it even though one teams record is not so impressive and the others couldnt be better. I would trade places in a heartbeat with you.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Everything is perfect at 7-0 until it’s not. Then the sky WILL be falling. Let’s keep that going.

The consensus is that Killins up the middle isn’t working.

Anyone deny that??

Does anyone not think that another option might be more productive?

Reactions: Shark59
Even I question Killins up the middle too much, but also remember questioning it last year when Frost was here.
I think we questioned it on 3rd and 4th and short. He was actually more productive on the other downs. Or we used other options like Otis

So we are all good continuing to run Killins up the middle for short gains over and over again over Taj and McRae? Because we won vs ECU everything should stay the same?

Out of those 300 yards, Killins had 44

Ok
I am not good at all with Killins up the middle. It is usually a waste of a down and puts on tough yardage situations that limit our options on the following downs. We are misusing Killins... jet sweeps, quick pitches, tosses to the flats and seam routes out of the backfield would get him in open space much more successfully.

For up the middle runs, Taj and Bentavious have both shown to be very successful with regular runs of 4-8 yards up the middle. Also, they both usually get 1-2 yards after contact, which is what you want out of a back who runs up the middle.

Reactions: Shark59 and Mikesi
The bottom line is that statistically in many categories through 7 games this offense is better than last year. That said there are what appear to the casual fan, obvious areas for improvement as we are leaving points on the field.....one of the biggest frustrations appears to be AK up the middle. Since only Mikesi answered I will ask again....... on the same exact play up the middle that McCrae went for 74 yds, would AK have taken the ball to the house?

Reactions: Mikesi
The bottom line is that statistically in many categories through 7 games this offense is better than last year. That said there are what appear to the casual fan, obvious areas for improvement as we are leaving points on the field.....one of the biggest frustrations appears to be AK up the middle. Since only Mikesi answered I will ask again....... on the same exact play up the middle that McCrae went for 74 yds, would AK have taken the ball to the house?
Can you post the video? Or someone?

Additionally, I’m sure AK has run the same play or similar this year. Maybe even vs ECU

No, it isn’t. I think that’s the entire basis of the argument. Heupel’s offense isn’t as good as Frost.

Same shit everyone has to do when you you’re winning all the time. Make things up to complain about.

We played 1 bad game against a rival on the road and still scored 31 points.

We played our back-up QB who has never seen more than a few snaps on offense and still scored 30 points on offense and won by 27.

Even I question Killins up the middle too much, but also remember questioning it last year when Frost was here.

The problem is we squeezed out a win against the one team we have played with a winning record. (Well at least when we played them) The same team an average Missouri team hung 65 points on. We can use the: it was in the rain, on the road,etc. excuses but the truth is teams like Alabama get everyone’s best shot game in and game out and win with confidence. Unlike the blue bloods we need to win convincingly to have any respect. The biggest thing I hear from office workers, casual fans, etc. is now back to UCF’s schedule sucks and they barely beat a bad Memphis team.

I am truly worried about when this team plays an average to above average team. Or if we mess up and lose a game in conference all the respect we have gained will go back to the pundits convincing people that UCF is an average team that plays an easy schedule.

Reactions: Poolside Knight

Who knows. it’s no different then asking IF my uncle had tits would he be my aunt.

The way I remember many UCF fans thought that Heupel would be successful even with 2 losses before the season started. I guess winning changes perceptions.

Reactions: Knight Strength
The way I remember many UCF fans thought that Heupel would be successful even with 2 losses before the season started. I guess winning changes perceptions.
If Heupel runs up the middle for 2 yards on first down this board melts down. But Frost was much better with a 50% success rate running Killins up the middle on 4th and 2 or less.

Who knows. it’s no different then asking IF my uncle had tits would he be my aunt.

In the context of this thread topic "Is the lack of yardage running up the middle, play calling, or is it the running backs?" this is very relavent, so if you don't understand enough about the topic that is being discussed you probably should not respond with what is quite frankly a feeble answer....If you can't see that it is not a rhetorical question as your response would imply I am not even going to try and explain it to you......

If Heupel runs up the middle for 2 yards on first down this board melts down. But Frost was much better with a 50% success rate running Killins up the middle on 4th and 2 or less.
I don’t understand what point you are trying to make. It’s apples and oranges. Please explain

Reactions: Poolside Knight
I don’t understand what point you are trying to make. It’s apples and oranges. Please explain

I have to agree I don't understand the point as well as many other posts in this thread. The OP asked a simple question that some how went way off on a tangent. The question is simply .......is our lack of yardage running up the middle because of:

1) Play calling
2) the RBs

Sure AK could take it up the.middle to the house. The concern is yards after contact when he doesn't have the hole to take it to the house. I don't know if anyone has info to yards after contact comparing our backs but it would be interesting. Keeping the chains moving is better than the occasional long gainer. And AK is small and taking big hits up the middle is more dangerous as far as getting injured. AK is a good player if he is utilized correctly. I think that is what most fans are thinking.

Reactions: Mikesi and JAFFX2
Sure AK could take it up the.middle to the house. The concern is yards after contact when he doesn't have the hole to take it to the house. I don't know if anyone has info to yards after contact comparing our backs but it would be interesting. Keeping the chains moving is better than the occasional long gainer. And AK is small and taking big hits up the middle is more dangerous as far as getting injured. AK is a good player if he is utilized correctly. I think that is what most fans are thinking.

Intuitively you would say sure AK could and should be able to take that play to the house. The problem is that based upon results it appears that McCrae, in a much more limited role has been much more effective up the middle. Is it because he has better vision, patience, abilities, and skills to run between the tackles or is it the play calling? Agree 100% with you and most others, AK is a good player if he is utilized correctly.

Reactions: knightraveler
In the context of this thread topic "Is the lack of yardage running up the middle, play calling, or is it the running backs?" this is very relavent, so if you don't understand enough about the topic that is being discussed you probably should not respond with what is quite frankly a feeble answer....If you can't see that it is not a rhetorical question as your response would imply I am not even going to try and explain it to you......

I was talking about in the context of if killins would have taken it to the house... which is a total hypothetical. We will never know. In the context of the tread it’s clearly a little bit of both the RB’s and the play calling. Or the play calling being predictable and not utlilizing the RB’s talents.

How I know the play calling is predictable is when my mom asks if we rehired GOL.:flushed:

I was talking about in the context of if killins would have taken it to the house... which is a total hypothetical. We will never know. In the context of the tread it’s clearly a little bit of both the RB’s and the play calling. Or the play calling being predictable and not utlilizing the RB’s talents.

How I know the play calling is predictable is when my mom asks if we rehired GOL.:flushed:
Fair enough....in terms of that exact play it is somewhat hypothetical.... in more general terms it can be asserted that McCrae has been more effective between the tackles than AK so based upon recent tendencies McCrae would be more likely to take that play call to the house.

I think FROST....so far.....here at UCF had a larger variety of plays he was running (possibly more complicated plays) just my opinion though.

I think FROST....so far.....here at UCF had a larger variety of plays he was running (possibly more complicated plays) just my opinion though.
Frost had more pre-snap motion and post-snap misdirection in his plays so in that regard perhaps more complex

I’m sure that play has been called for AK at least once (he has 91 carries) and how many times has he taken it to the house this year? Or even a long gain?

Give the guy averaging 8.9 yards more carries vs the 4.7 guy.

Is that being a nitpicker? Too much to ask?

Reactions: JAFFX2
Fair enough....in terms of that exact play it is somewhat hypothetical.... in more general terms it can be asserted that McCrae has been more effective between the tackles than AK so based upon recent tendencies McCrae would be more likely to take that play call to the house.
Yes. In general terms he has been more effective

Reactions: JAFFX2
In general, we do not have a powerful, tackle breaking RB along the lines of 24K. It would seem that unless there is a perfect line block that allows the RB to clear the line at least and the linebackers don't have a clean shot at them, really none of them excell at breaking tackles. Give them a good hole, I think they all can give any secondary all they can handle in terms of one on one, speed and power running. They simply cannot break through tackles at the line. They can sneak around, squirt through a hole, or keep sliding to outside for a good run but we do not have a power running game.

ADVERTISEMENT