ADVERTISEMENT

Is there really a QB controversy??

Since we don’t have a top end returning starter or a top end transfer, the answer is most likely yes.

I write this with great respect to Mikey Keene as a player and as a person and it wasn't his fault that his coach that recruited him moved on to a different program but Gus doesn't run a pro style offense that he is designed for and good at in hs. That is why Gus brought in a 4 star transfer (Plumblee) and recruited for the 2022 class a 3 star qb (Castellanos) that is good at and skilled at dual threat qb action.

If you want to win football games and you want win a lot of them then you can't give the nod to a game manager that Keene was last year where he averaged like 150 yards and no real rushing yards but you go with what your offensive strategy is known for as "Gus Offense" a quick, dual threat qb at the helm.

Tbh those who think Keene can make a massive leap are seriously blind to what was seen on the field. He cant run, cant evade pressure, has the throwing power of Pete Dinovo. He just game manages. And that is fine…for a backup
Here’s what I can’t understand. Keene was brought in by a coach that makes a living chucking the ball as deep as he can to one-on-one coverage and Mikey Keene was selected by this coach who seems to have a pretty good eye for QB talent. How is it that Heupel so badly scouted Mikey’s arm strength?

Here’s what I can’t understand. Keene was brought in by a coach that makes a living chucking the ball as deep as he can to one-on-one coverage and Mikey Keene was selected by this coach who seems to have a pretty good eye for QB talent. How is it that Heupel so badly scouted Mikey’s arm strength?

Heupel also brought in Navarro who never saw the field much. Nick Saban and his staff wanted Blake Barnett. The best recruiters in the world miss every year, because it's impossible to know exactly how every 17 year old kid will progress physically and mentally.

Both can win. I think UCF is headed for a two-quarterback system.

But in the fourth quarter with a game in the balance, Plumlee @$$ gone be standing on the sideline or at wide receiver.

Forrest Gump GIF by GrayDuckDent

Both can win. I think UCF is headed for a two-quarterback system.

But in the fourth quarter with a game in the balance, Plumlee @$$ gone be standing on the sideline or at wide receiver.

Forrest Gump GIF by GrayDuckDent
Hard no. Do I need to drudge up for the millionth time our season records when we “split” the QB position. It’s ugly on paper, and to watch.

This thread title reminds me exactly of how I felt with Wimbush coming in. All the ND fans loved him as a kid and said he was great running the ball, but they also said he was an inaccurate passer of the football. Deja Vu with JRP? I mean absolute verbatim from an Ole Miss Alum friend of mine. Absolutely loves the kid, "just can't throw."

I never believed Mack was the guy and all I saw of DG was high school hype. Welp, high school hype won that year. And maybe it will win this year, because the situation is damn near identical. Although I do believe Keene is far better than Mack, and I believe if Keene loses it's a system fit thing.

I also pray for a single QB system. There were times Keene made in-game progress only to be taken out for a sell out run by Joey. Almost like Gus didn't want Mikey to actually, you know, gain momentum. Still bugs me. But also makes it literally painfully obvious how much Gus is a dual-threat guy.

Either way I love having at least two guys with real experience and a talented Freshman to choose from. GKCO

I write this with great respect to Mikey Keene as a player and as a person and it wasn't his fault that his coach that recruited him moved on to a different program but Gus doesn't run a pro style offense that he is designed for and good at in hs. That is why Gus brought in a 4 star transfer (Plumblee) and recruited for the 2022 class a 3 star qb (Castellanos) that is good at and skilled at dual threat qb action.

If you want to win football games and you want win a lot of them then you can't give the nod to a game manager that Keene was last year where he averaged like 150 yards and no real rushing yards but you go with what your offensive strategy is known for as "Gus Offense" a quick, dual threat qb at the helm.
Totally. After watching the film of Daunte Culpepper, Mikey is like the opposite. Nothing personal.

Heupel also brought in Navarro who never saw the field much. Nick Saban and his staff wanted Blake Barnett. The best recruiters in the world miss every year, because it's impossible to know exactly how every 17 year old kid will progress physically and mentally.
Exactly! Great Point

This thread title reminds me exactly of how I felt with Wimbush coming in. All the ND fans loved him as a kid and said he was great running the ball, but they also said he was an inaccurate passer of the football. Deja Vu with JRP? I mean absolute verbatim from an Ole Miss Alum friend of mine. Absolutely loves the kid, "just can't throw."

I never believed Mack was the guy and all I saw of DG was high school hype. Welp, high school hype won that year. And maybe it will win this year, because the situation is damn near identical. Although I do believe Keene is far better than Mack, and I believe if Keene loses it's a system fit thing.

I also pray for a single QB system. There were times Keene made in-game progress only to be taken out for a sell out run by Joey. Almost like Gus didn't want Mikey to actually, you know, gain momentum. Still bugs me. But also makes it literally painfully obvious how much Gus is a dual-threat guy.

Either way I love having at least two guys with real experience and a talented Freshman to choose from. GKCO
not the same situation. most of the fans wanted DG to start

and not trying to be too critical but Keene doesn’t seem like a D1 QB. DBs will feast on that windup if we have to play from behind any game. I also don’t believe anyone thinks Plumlee is a star but he is the best fit we have to run Gus’s offense this season . want to avoid throwing a true freshman out there unless he is so good that you have no choice

Reactions: Knightmare13
not the same situation. most of the fans wanted DG to start

Not true at this point 3 years ago, we didn’t know anything about how Socko was progressing until the season started. Will agree this season is different because Keene is coming back with 9 starts, and I wish we had Wimbush instead of Plumlee.

nah me and a few others on this board were full DG propaganda before a game was played based on practice clips
Ok, maybe a few felt that way, the majority wanted to see the 5* guy with 17 starts at ND first.....and then came Stanford.

Who's to say Heupel had any expectation of Keene ever being the starter?

Who's to say Heupel had any expectation of Keene ever being the starter?
Do you really believe that he brought Keene in with no expectations that he’d develop? In a sport where you’re one dumbass play from the backup?

And yet you’ve written MK off by what he did when he was barely older than 17 himself.

This is just an incorrect statement given the circumstances. It is silly to even pretend that the playbook was open or that there was a way to utilize weapons that were not playing.

You also can't go to the guy who makes the bad decision to throw into coverage and getting a pick killing the momentum in a game. Rushing for 300 yards is not worth much if you can't make the throws.

Here is what I see. I see some fans who have fallen in love with Ol Miss vs. LSU highlights and have fallen in love with JRP. I get that Gus likes a running QB offense but once a guy loses his position to another QB that is a sign. I hope JRP proves me wrong. I hope he is the next coming of Cam Newton. But I just don't get the headstrong insistence that it is him or we lose games.

Last edited:
Do you really believe that he brought Keene in with no expectations that he’d develop? In a sport where you’re one dumbass play from the backup?
I think you misunderstand what I said. I didn't say Heupel never expected him to play I said, maybe Heupel never expected him to be the starter, as in going into the season with him as the guy. He was brought in with Gabriel still having 3 years of eligibility left. I don't think when we brought him in anyone was saying this guy is for sure the next guy in line after Gabriel even though he turned out to be. QBs get recruited for depth and never play or they have to go elsewhere to play all the time, it's the nature of the sport.

Here is what I see. I see some fans who have fallen in love with Ol Miss vs. LSU highlights and have fallen in love with JRP. I get that Gus likes a running QB offense but once a guy loses his position to another QB that is a sign. I hope JRP proves me wrong. I hope he is the next coming of Cam Newton. But I just get the headstrong insistence that it is him or we lose games.
You do know he lost the job to Matt Corral right? 3rd round draft pick, arguably the best qb in the draft last year? MK didn’t/wouldn’t even get recruited by Ole Miss, so your comparison is apples and oranges. I don’t see Gus recruiting him either for that matter, not when the SE is loaded with athletic QBs. It’s not a love affair, it’s wanting UCF to be put in the best position possible to win. It’s also that we saw last year, we want and need better qb play.

And for what it’s worth, DG looked better than Wimbush all spring, in the spring game, in fall camp and in the first game against FAMU.

You do know he lost the job to Matt Corral right? 3rd round draft pick, arguably the best qb in the draft last year? MK didn’t/wouldn’t even get recruited by Ole Miss, so your comparison is apples and oranges. I don’t see Gus recruiting him either for that matter, not when the SE is loaded with athletic QBs. It’s not a love affair, it’s wanting UCF to be put in the best position possible to win. It’s also that we saw last year, we want and need better qb play.
So what? He lost his job. And the knock on him from fans is that he was not a good passer. This has nothing to do with Mikey Keene. I am saying that people are in love with JRP based on Youtube videos. He lost his job. Just like Wimbush lost his job to Ian Book who went on to get drafted. When he played he had 910 yards passing, four touchdowns and three interceptions. Passing was 79-150. In 9 games. Those are not good stats. If you were just looking at his stats there is no way you would be excited about him. I think that he has just as much progress to make to be successful as Mikey Keen does

And for what it’s worth, DG looked better than Wimbush all spring, in the spring game, in fall camp and in the first game against FAMU.
Then why did Wimbush start against FAMU? Because of expectations. Not reality.

Then why did Wimbush start against FAMU? Because of expectations. Not reality.
They had to see Gabriel on the field, if Gabriel had somehow looked amazing in practice, but couldn't translate it to the game, they didn't want to alienate Wimbush by naming the Freshman the starter without ever playing a down.

But let's be real, Gabriel was in that game in the 1st quarter, they had a pretty good idea of how it was going to go.

They had to see Gabriel on the field, if Gabriel had somehow looked amazing in practice, but couldn't translate it to the game, they didn't want to alienate Wimbush by naming the Freshman the starter without ever playing a down.

But let's be real, Gabriel was in that game in the 1st quarter, they had a pretty good idea of how it was going to go.
But again that leads to the conclusion that all they hype about Wimbush was misplaced.

But again that leads to the conclusion that all they hype about Wimbush was misplaced.
I think where the comparison falls apart, is Wimbush was not brought in to beat out Dillon Gabriel, he was brought in to beat out Darriel Mack. Gabriel exceeded all expectations and took the job. JRP was brought in to beat out Keene. Maybe Castellanos could be the Gabriel of this year? Who knows, but I haven't heard any buzz along those lines and it would be impossible to expect that.

and there have been some reports of Corral looking better than Baker Mayfield in Carolina practices

Reactions: knight_tracker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT