ADVERTISEMENT

Is War ever Justified?

mach3ucf

Golden Knight
Apr 24, 2003
This is a good debate for all to watch.
Professor Jan Ting vs. Professor Bryan Caplan.

I agree with Jan Ting...War is not something we should ever want, but it is a last measure to prevent an evil.

Caplin is becoming my favorite economist. His arguments on immigrantion is second to none.

He made some good points in the debate. War is unfortunately a reality of the world which is Tings only point but it misses the point of the whole debate on whether it's justifiable. That's an ethics question. Ting stating it's just a reality of the world is an admission that he lost the debate.

If you are a power hungry dictator, who wants more the answer is yes. If you are a person under such an evil sob, the answer is likely yes. If you are one who thinks the killing of people can never be justified under any situation, than the answer is no. And you must stand by as Hitler exterminates the Jews, and takes over all of Europe, and just accept it is what it is.

My personal choice, War can be the better of the choices available. like it or not we don't live in a yellow daisy, bubble gum world.

Reactions: UCFEE
War. What is it good for? Absolutely nothing!

You all read that in a Jackie Chan voice, admit it.

Reactions: UCFhonors
War is always justified. As much as you looney toons like to think our leaders just enjoy watching our soldiers and others die that's just not the case.

Reactions: jetsaholic
39345382.jpg

Seems to me war is always justified. You may or may not agree with the justification.

As a defense measure or for retaliation? Sure. As ideological moves or proxies? No. That's clear I think given our track record with such types of wars and the lives and money wasted.

It's a matter of context.

WW2 for example off-the-cuff was 100% justified in Europe and the Pacific.

Every single cultural and government change in history was founded upon war and violence.

Was dropping the bomb on Hiroshima a good thing? No. Did it kill a lot of people at once and over time? Yes. Did Japan become a stronger nation as a result? Yes. Did the war (which was averaging 20,000 casualties a week) end? Yes. Did this prevent prolonging of the war? Yes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT