ADVERTISEMENT

it could have been so different

UCFGrad05

Silver Knight
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2006
to think. we could have lost to SMU, USF, and not have played Memphis again. Or if we did lose to Memphis in the AACCG...

We could have had two+ losses, played in Birmingham or St Pete, and there wouldn’t be as much CFP cartel chatter all over the media.

UCF will be the catalyst for CFP change.

We would have been “happy” with a top 25 finish.

I don’t think it has fully hit me yet how big this season was. Not only for us, but for all of the G5.

To think. we were so close to another “typical G5” season..

Do they? I get the point, and I was being dramatic, sure - but we were a few plays away in a couple games from a possible loss.

I think my larger point was one loss - just one - and all of this marketing push, National Champs campaign, media frenzy, all of it does not exist is, let's say, Hughes doesn't return a punt, etc.

There is no margin for G5 schools.

All in good fun to re-think how everything did fall our way.

Do they? I get the point, and I was being dramatic, sure - but we were a few plays away in a couple games from a possible loss.

I think my larger point was one loss - just one - and all of this marketing push, National Champs campaign, media frenzy, all of it does not exist is, let's say, Hughes doesn't return a punt, etc.

There is no margin for G5 schools.

All in good fun to re-think how everything did fall our way.
Last year we were a few plays from being 9-4. If Milton was good we would have been 11-2.

Almost every team in America has a similar story of "it could have been so different if".
Exactly.

Imagine if USF had stopped Houston on that 4th and 20 (or w/e it was) and not kicked it to Hughes, things could REALLY have been different.

Amazing how a season can hinge on such brief moments.

The Cardiac Kids of 2013 really put the scare in all of us.
The Kids of 2017 got a couple of jolts and that's it, they were always in control.

The biggest reason for our late woes was obvious in (well rested before) the Auburn game ...
We played 11 weeks straight, before a break!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT