ADVERTISEMENT

It is imperative to find DG’s successor ASAP

Retnuhrace

Bronze Knight
Aug 31, 2007
Assuming DG stays for his senior season, 2023 (our big 12 entrance date) will be our first season with a new QB. We cannot go into that first season with a giant question mark at QB, so I hope that Gus can put to rest his reputation of not being able to develop a QB and have us ready to go at that position, or else that first season is doomed. Hopefully we are planning ahead in that realm to some degree.

We’ll still be recruiting a QB for the 2023 class. At the start of the 2023 season, Mikey Keene will be a RS So, Castellanos will be a RS Fr, and our 2023 QB will be a freshman.

If Keene and Castellanos aren’t up to snuff, then take a transfer with experience for 2023. It would be very helpful if Castellanos enrolls in January 2022, so they can start evaluating him sooner.

We’ll still be recruiting a QB for the 2023 class. At the start of the 2023 season, Mikey Keene will be a RS So, Castellanos will be a RS Fr, and our 2023 QB will be a freshman.

If Keene and Castellanos aren’t up to snuff, then take a transfer with experience for 2023. It would be very helpful if Castellanos enrolls in January 2022, so they can start evaluating him sooner.
What about Joey Gatewood?

If DG stays through 2023 I bet none of the guys mentioned end up being the successor.....you know how it is, they will give it a go for 1-2 years then transfer.

Gatewood is a Junior now, like DG, and would have to redshirt to play in 2023 as a RS senior. So yeah, that’s definitely a possibility.

Assuming DG stays for his senior season, 2023 (our big 12 entrance date) will be our first season with a new QB. We cannot go into that first season with a giant question mark at QB, so I hope that Gus can put to rest his reputation of not being able to develop a QB and have us ready to go at that position, or else that first season is doomed. Hopefully we are planning ahead in that realm to some degree.
Of course we are planning ahead for it. But you almost never know what you have until the new guy takes the field as the starter.

Even if he has a good game as a backup, you never know if it was just a fluke or if he can play consistently at that level.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
brought this up Monday in the Recruiting thread , I think we need to bring in more than just Castellenos . Maybe try to flip someone
Teams rarely take more than on QB in a class. Mikey Keene is good enough to be our #2 as a true Freshman...and both Malzahn and the QB coach have been evaluating him all summer and fall. We also have Parker Navarro, a Redshirt Freshman.

Finally, you have to consider whether the current commit, Castellanos (UCF's top 2022 target at the position), would go elsewhere if you recruit another QB, in which case you then end up getting only one QB anyway and one lower on your priority list than the one that decided to go somewhere else.

We'll land a 4 star QB freshman next year or a solid transfer from a top 10 school.

Reactions: kuyakarlito
Teams rarely take more than on QB in a class. Mikey Keene is good enough to be our #2 as a true Freshman...and both Malzahn and the QB coach have been evaluating him all summer and fall. We also have Parker Navarro, a Redshirt Freshman.

Finally, you have to consider whether the current commit, Castellanos (UCF's top 2022 target at the position), would go elsewhere if you recruit another QB, in which case you then end up getting only one QB anyway and one lower on your priority list than the one that decided to go somewhere else.
Navarro rarely gets mentioned. Jones is 3rd. That’s even before Gatewood came so it could be worse now.

I think Gatewood has 2 more years after this year. He did RS in 2018, Auburn 2019, Kentucky 2020, UCF 2021, so doesn't he have 2 more years after this year with the Covid extra year?

I may be wrong but Gatewood may be ok in a gadget role and eventual position change where he may have a better chance at the NFL

Everyone not named Alabama and Clemson are in the same boat. The Big 12 affiliation is going to pay immediate dividends on the recruiting trail and ESPECIALLY in the transfer portal.

Theoretically, couldn't DG play the 2023 year? Last year doesn't count towards eligibility...

Gatewood vs. Keene will be the competition for QB 2 this offseason and I think that might have an effect on DG's decision to stay. UCF isn't big enough to have a happy QB2, Quadry will transfer next year and Navarro will stay 1 more year before eventually transferring.

I don't know how good Gatewood is at passing, but he definitely has the size and athleticism advantage on DG.

It will sound like blasphemy around here but I think DG is extremely talented but I don't see him as an NFL ready player right now. Not sure I will see enough development in 10 more games to change my mind but who knows.

It will sound like blasphemy around here but I think DG is extremely talented but I don't see him as an NFL ready player right now. Not sure I will see enough development in 10 more games to change my mind but who knows.
It’s mostly his size for me. He could be kind of like Tua for Dolphins. Not great but has his moments.

I thought DG only had 1 year left (2022)...his Senior year? THis year and next year?

ADVERTISEMENT