ADVERTISEMENT

It looks like the likelihood of losing coach Heupel is dwindling

Ucfmikes

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Jun 6, 2015
With the LSU defensive defensive coordinator Dave Aranda being hired by Baylor (another off the radar hire), the likelihood of losing CJH to another school is very minimal.

We are not yet out of the woods with Shannon. It looks like we will have CJH for a 3rd year barring unforeseen circumstances.

Was Heupel ever interviewed? Who knows

I told everyone here he was not a candidate. There was not one person from the Baylor fanbase that wanted Heup.

I told everyone here he was not a candidate. There was not one person from the Baylor fanbase that wanted Heup.
When you say things that everyone knows aren't true people won't take you seriously. You seem unattached from the past reality of our recruiting and current reality of what Baylor fans want. Do you act this way at work? Hiring Heup definitely would have been be an irresponsible gamble by Baylor but there were several posters on their board and in comments sections saying they wanted him. The links have been posted on this board.

Reactions: Ucfmikes and JAFFX2
With the LSU defensive defensive coordinator Dave Aranda being hired by Baylor (another off the radar hire), the likelihood of losing CJH to another school is very minimal.

We are not yet out of the woods with Shannon. It looks like we will have CJH for a 3rd year barring unforeseen circumstances.

Was Heupel ever interviewed? Who knows
I just read an OS article where DW says he is confident Heup will be here* through the end of 2020. The timing of the article release makes me think he waited to say that until Heup was no longer a candidate anywhere...but he had to get it out there as soon as possible so people renew season tickets.

*when referring to UCF as a location I use here and there interchangeably

Reactions: Ucfmikes and JAFFX2
from another duh*slant article:

UCF averaged an announced crowd of 43,388 fans during its six home games last season, with Spectrum Stadium at 99% capacity, according to NCAA figures.

White and his staff have been looking at ways to accommodate the increasing ticket demand at a stadium that currently has a seating capacity of 44,206.

“I’m still working behind-the-scenes on plans to expand the stadium,” said White. “It’s the next step in our growth as a football program.”

Reactions: Knight Strength
I feel like if we win 12 games next season, Heup is gone. At 11 wins some bottom feeder "P5" program will still probably snatch him up. At 10 wins he will be considered unproven and a risky hire.

A lot will change with recruiting and transfers over the next few weeks but, given everything I know at this time, if we only win 10 games, that is a massive failure on the coaches part (I never blame the athletes. They're supposed to be taught by the coaches). Going undefeated is tough and most of us agree takes some luck. I can imagine being able to excuse losses to two of UNC, GT, or Memphis. I know UNC brings back almost everyone and their freshman QB did very well. GT was terrible but next year they'll be like 2018 Temple but with better talent and we're going to their place. Memphis brings back White (I think) and Gainwell and we go to their place too. These teams/situations have the ability to give us a hard time and pull out a win.

I feel like if we win 12 games next season, Heup is gone. At 11 wins some bottom feeder "P5" program will still probably snatch him up. At 10 wins he will be considered unproven and a risky hire.

A lot will change with recruiting and transfers over the next few weeks but, given everything I know at this time, if we only win 10 games, that is a massive failure on the coaches part (I never blame the athletes. They're supposed to be taught by the coaches). Going undefeated is tough and most of us agree takes some luck. I can imagine being able to excuse losses to two of UNC, GT, or Memphis. I know UNC brings back almost everyone and their freshman QB did very well. GT was terrible but next year they'll be like 2018 Temple but with better talent and we're going to their place. Memphis brings back White (I think) and Gainwell and we go to their place too. These teams/situations have the ability to give us a hard time and pull out a win.

I am willing to bet that Danny White will never think a 10 win season is a massive failure. No way Heup gets fired from UCF for a 10 win season.

Right, I mean I'll consider it a failure. I don't think the competition is stiff enough to accept that.
For me meaning that if DW does not think it a massive failure than likely it is not. A disappointment, yes. Massive failure, no.

the buyout wasn't going to stop them if they really wanted him, especially when it was offset by $6 million that they got from the NFL.
Yea it's not an insurmountable mountain but it is a hurdle. Sometimes hiring comes down to small things like a little certification. The 10 mill buyout is probably enough to swing their decision slightly in favor of Fuente if he and Heup were otherwise even.

I just read an OS article where DW says he is confident Heup will be here* through the end of 2020. The timing of the article release makes me think he waited to say that until Heup was no longer a candidate anywhere...but he had to get it out there as soon as possible so people renew season tickets.

*when referring to UCF as a location I use here and there interchangeably
Danny White has a great knack of saying all the right things at the right times. He’s slick and has a knack in keeping the fanbase excited about the team and not really having the fanbase feel betrayed or duped into spending money on donations or buying tickets.

I am willing to bet that Danny White will never think a 10 win season is a massive failure. No way Heup gets fired from UCF for a 10 win season.
It would take multiple 10 win seasons in a row and a lot of losing to USF, the CCG, P5 games and not making the CCG. Stagnation. Almost like where Jim Harbaugh is headed

It would take multiple 10 win seasons in a row and a lot of losing to USF, the CCG, P5 games and not making the CCG. Stagnation. Almost like where Jim Harbaugh is headed
Multiple 10 win seasons in a row? By god that would be absolutely terrible. We’d probably have to think about dropping to FCS.

Multiple 10 win seasons in a row? By god that would be absolutely terrible. We’d probably have to think about dropping to FCS.
Obviously, you picked and chose what you wanted out of my response. Please go back and read it again

I heard Heupels buyout decreases to $5 mil starting next yr. Should we renegotiate his contract and keep that buyout at 10 mil?

I heard Heupels buyout decreases to $5 mil starting next yr. Should we renegotiate his contract and keep that buyout at 10 mil?
I believe he is already extended until 2024 so he would have to accept the increased buyout.

Interesting argument. Not sure if he will accept it. We probably should leave it. If he goes to a NY6 bowl game, he’s probably going to leave unless the opportunities suck. We don’t want a coach who doesn’t want to be here. If for some reason we have a terrible season, I rather not have the 10 million hanging over our head. Not that we can afford 5 million either.

3 years is all we can hope to expect as a successful G5 school

Last edited:
Reactions: ahabmw
I know his contract was extended but I thought it was just extended off the back end, after the buyout was expired. Addtionally, I didn't hear the 10 mill buyout was extended and I think that would have made the news and caught my attention. Contract extension article: https://ucfknights.com/news/2018/12/7/211783203.aspx

But I could be uninformed- Something that did catch my attention very recently was when DW said he expects Heup to be here for several more years (this was in an OS article). Assuming DW expects the football team to be successful, I can't see Heup not getting hired away if the buyout wasn't extended.

DW said he expects Heup to be here for several more years (this was in an OS article). Assuming DW expects the football team to be successful, I can't see Heup not getting hired away if the buyout wasn't extended.
Agreed. I just can’t see him staying after a successful year. Maybe DW knows something that we don’t.

He could potentially make double at some schools. However, I don’t see him leaving for a mediocre P5 position

Last edited:
Agreed. I just can see him staying after a successful year. Maybe DW knows something that we don’t.

He could potentially make double at some schools. However, I don’t see him leaving for a mediocre P5 position
I felt the same way about Frost but he left for a crappy P5 position.

I know it's his home but wanted to make the joke anyway.

Reactions: ahabmw
I felt the same way about Frost but he left for a crappy P5 position.

I know it's his home but wanted to make the joke anyway.
Frost was a special situation.Took 0-12 to 13-0 in 2 years and beat Auburn. Second, Frost is one of the most famous and beloved players ever from Nebraska Univ. He was born in Nebraska and started 4 years at NU. If anyone is going to take the time and devote everything they have to NU, it's Frost.

Heup took 13-0 and went 12-1 and 10-3. I think Heup has done a good job given Milton's very rare injury, but it's not the same story. Heup is from South Dakota, and played at Oklahoma for 2 years after transferring there. His ties to Oklahoma and Oklahoma Univ aren't the same

Last edited:
Frost was a special situation.Took 0-12 to 13-0 in 2 years and beat Auburn. Second, Frost is one of the most famous and beloved players ever from Nebraska Univ. He was born in Nebraska and started 4 years at NU. If anyone is going to take the time and devote everything they have to NU, it's Frost.

Heup took 13-0 and went 12-1 and 10-3. I think Heup has done a good job given Milton's very rare injury, but it's not the same story. Heup is from South Dakota, and played at Oklahoma for 2 years after transferring there. His ties to Oklahoma and Oklahoma Univ aren't the same
Frost transferred from somewhere didn’t he? Couldn’t possibly start 4 years in that case.

Reactions: PhDee

Being fired by OU may also jade Heup's perspective of OU; I also quite frankly think that OU will think that OU can "do better" than Heup when Riley moves up to NFL. But plenty of other schools will ring Heup's phone if UCF reaches NY6 again over next year or two.

Heup and OU need to make serious amends before he considers returning. That should happen by latest, the end of the decade.

ADVERTISEMENT